    as a PC user with hardly any knowledge of the Mac.

    However, as I promised elsewhere, I'm going to get off your case now.

    G.

    Gene E. Bloch, Apr 27, 2006

  2. asj

    Don Freeman Guest

    Just as you can load a PSP from any computer.

    Don Freeman, Apr 28, 2006

  3. asj

    Invid Fan Guest

    People have already found a way to rip a dvd and put it on a PSP memory
    stick, so I can't see where Sony would win with a PSP version on HD
    DVDs. It would just cut into sales of PSP only disks.

    Invid Fan, Apr 28, 2006
  4. asj

    asj Guest

    it's the graphical interface that i like, not how the exterior looks.

    since I'm a java developer though i don't actually care about the OS
    that much since Java will run on windows, mac, or linux.

    as to mac's place in the world, hmmmm.....have you looked at how apple
    is doing lately...mac growth is exploding....

    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/oct/11results.html
    ""We're very pleased to report 48 percent year-over-year growth in
    Mac shipments in Q4, as well as our 10th consecutive quarter of record
    iPod sales," said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple's CFO. "Looking ahead
    to the first quarter of fiscal 2006 which will span 14 weeks, we expect
    revenue of about $4.7 billion. We expect GAAP earnings per diluted
    share of about $.46, including an estimated $.03 per share expense
    impact from non-cash share-based compensation, translating to non-GAAP
    EPS of about $.49.""

    asj, Apr 28, 2006
  5. Heh... a platform war; how sweet.

    How much did you spent on antivirus last year? How much of your time
    have you wasted eradicating spyware and viruses off your system?

    Barry McCockiner, Apr 28, 2006
  6. asj

    Larry Guest

    Windows XP SP2

    $0
    0 hours

    If you haven't figured out it's the user not the OS yet you
    probably never will.

    Larry

    Larry, Apr 28, 2006
  7. Muddying the water with facts again, huh?

    :)

    G.

    Gene E. Bloch, Apr 28, 2006
  8. asj

    asj Guest

    Well, I think Jobs is a nincompoop, but the Mac itself is a very
    friendly, easy to use desktop. Although I can appreciate a guy who
    likes to tweak his Linux desktop to perfection, I realize that just
    isn't for everyone. Most people would just like to boot the thing and
    have everything ready to go - and looking cool while doing so is a
    plus.

    asj, Apr 28, 2006
  9. asj

    Fred Liken Guest

    Oh, I see... you're just trolling. sigh...

    Fred Liken, Apr 28, 2006
  10. asj

    Fred Liken Guest

    Actually, sheep is used to refer to those easily "hearded".
    lol. Just stop posting and stop trying to save face. It's pathetic.

    Fred Liken, Apr 28, 2006
  11. asj

    Fred Liken Guest

    Apple doesn't run the lines 24/7 on Macs. So what if they refresh an
    inventory or bring out a new model. The fact that they were so low the year
    before is more evident of their actual position in the world.

    Fred Liken, Apr 28, 2006
  12. asj

    Fred Liken Guest

    None.

    How much time have you wasted booting your Mac? Loading Photoshop? Waiting
    for Photoshop filters to execute? Etc... etc........
    etc.....................

    Spare me. I'm not one of those people that's never used a Mac
    professionally.

    Fred Liken, Apr 28, 2006
  13. asj

    Fred Liken Guest

    And trust me, a dumb user can mess up a Mac just as easy.

    Fred Liken, Apr 28, 2006
  14. asj

    L Leed Guest

    Actually, I believe the usage of "sheep" is normally to denote the
    "masses" of people who follow blindly.

    Since "windows" is a "default" option for people, and Mac users
    generally make a serious decision to stick to an alternative, I'd say
    the "sheep" moniker refers more to Windows users than Mac users.

    Contrast Apple's rising fortunes, btw, with Microsoft's new troubles:
    "Microsoft Stock Tumbles on Lower Guidance"
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060428/ap_on_bi_ge/earns_microsoft

    SEATTLE - Shares of Microsoft Corp. tumbled 11 percent Friday, after
    the world's largest software maker reported third-quarter profit that
    missed Wall Street expectations and lowered its earnings
    guidance.....In the third quarter, Liddell said Microsoft also had
    higher-than-expected expenses for Xbox 360, because of the cost of
    rushing to get consoles into consumers' hands amid a shortage.
    Microsoft loses money each time it sells an Xbox 360, although the
    eventual goal is to break even.....Liddell said third quarter revenues
    were below expectations because of lower-than-expected sales of games
    for the first Xbox game console.

    L Leed, Apr 28, 2006
  15. asj

    L Leed Guest

    Bill Gates' recent trip to Japan brought forward one rather
    astonishing statement: Microsoft's next OS will be providing support
    the Blu-ray format. This, in spite of the fact that Microsoft is one of
    the largest companies backing the competing HD DVD format.

    According to CVG, Gates stated that Widows Vista could be made
    compatible with the new format developed by Sony. However, this would
    imply that Blu-ray's developers share all the info Microsoft would
    ask for.

    "In terms of Blu-ray, that's also coming along. As they finalise their
    specifications we'll understand how well that's able to connect up to
    Windows. As yet they haven't shared that".

    Although Gates added he trusted the upcoming Xbox 360 HD DVD external
    drive, his previous statement this might have a major impact in the HD
    DVD - Blu-ray battle.

    As said, Microsoft is one of the leading HD DVD supporters. Then again,
    the same company comes out and says it will work with the format backed
    by the competition. Doesn't this sound as a lack of confidence in the
    HD DVD format?

    http://news.portalit.net/fullnews_Windows-Vista-To-Support-the-Blu-ray-Format_1432.html

    L Leed, Apr 28, 2006
  16. After working in Unix for years, once I retired, I find that I can't
    quite get myself to do Linux. I have tried a couple of times, but each
    time, after making a dual boot of Linux and then realizing I had done
    nothing with it for months, I hauled out Partition Magic again, deleted
    the Linux, and enlarged my windows partition to reclaim the space :)

    Although I didn't end up able to "boot the thing and have everything
    ready to go", especially with Win Me and earlier. However, I'm very
    modest, so you'll have to decide if I was looking cool :)

    Gino

    Gene E. Bloch, Apr 28, 2006
  17. OK, I will, but by my newsreader's count at this moment, if I post one
    more time, it'll bring the length of this thread to 498, so I *have* to
    post a reply.

    G.

    Gene E. Bloch, Apr 28, 2006
  18. How could you think otherwise?

    But, Barry Bonds-like, I've got to kick this thread to 500, and I think
    this'll do it.

    I'll go back under my bridge now :)

    Gino

    Gene E. Bloch, Apr 28, 2006
  19. asj

    Fred Liken Guest

    My PC can read memory sticks! COMSURUCII!

    Fred Liken, Apr 28, 2006
  20. asj

    Fred Liken Guest

    It denotes those that follow blindly. Mac users follow blindly. They are
    not informed people. They are led to the Mac by other uninformed people and
    marketing.
    Then I guess people that drink tap water are sheep and those that drink
    botique water because they are told it's so much better are not... lol.
    What a silly notion. Guess you're just grasping at straws.

    Anyone that switched to a Mac from at least 1999 on are sheep drinking the
    koolaid.
    Since when does the profit of the company equal the quality of the product?
    Wow... your ilk sure does grab for any straw they can.

    Fred Liken, Apr 28, 2006