EXPERT advise needed on Movie File Conversion Engines

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Arawak, Sep 9, 2005.

  1. Arawak

    Arawak Guest

    With so many conversion engines, I am wondering if i can get some
    expert feedback from your experience on which programs you use for the
    various file types. I have tried various programs and some have taken
    almost 48hrs. I am interested in speed. A big problem I have also is
    finding a program with the ability to include subtitle files during
    conversion of foreign flicks.
    I am most interested in converting the following file types but other
    suggestions appreciated. Movies must be compatible with playback on
    the Philips DVP642.

    -DVD to AVI or MPG
    -VOB to AVI or MPG
    -AVI to MPG or AVI (for movies encoded with OGG etc).
    -MOV to AVI or MPG
    -WMV to AVI or MPG

    Thanks for all assistance and suggestions.

    Arawak

    Arawak, Sep 9, 2005

  2. For VOB to MPG the best I've found is Womble MPEG Video Wizard (as
    suggested by Render Me). It doesn't need to copy the VOB over to the
    hard drive, it does the conversion from the DVD to the hard drive
    directly. And it's quick. *But* I'm working with DVDs that aren't
    encrypted, it does not take out CES. It has some quirks, don't hesitate
    to ask either here or at the Womble support forum for assistance. Do
    hesitate to ask Womble for help. After a few weeks you'll get a response
    that says "Send samples of the problem files". And that's all you'll
    ever get.

    For several of the other conversions you mention, I use my old standby,
    Vegas Video. It works great to convert .avi to .mpg (if you either have
    the MPEG2 plugin or have their DVD Architect program) and a couple or
    three of the other formats you listed, I've not tried them all.

    I see TMPGEnc recommended a lot for some things. I tested it briefly and
    had problems with it. Maybe it was just me and I didn't give it a fair
    trial.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 9, 2005