    college degree?

    Thanks,
    Joey

    Joey Beninghove, Apr 16, 2004

  2. Joey,

    I'm in the same situation you are. I have no college degree and no .NET
    certifications, and I work for the US Govt doing VB.NET, ASP.NET and Sql
    Server work. I was hired based on experience and references only. Prior to
    this job, I owned my own consulting doing ASP and Sql Server work for 7
    years. It mostly depends on the company you are applying to. Some,
    regardless of the amount of experience or certifications, REQUIRE you have a
    college degree.

    In my opinion and in my personal experience, my work and references have
    always sufficed to get new jobs/contracts. Now that I have a government
    job, I plan on staying here forever if I can. If I can't, I will once again
    rely on my experience and references to land another job. I am, however,
    looking at getting and MCAD/SD only to increase my pay and level and to
    learn more about the technologies I am using.

    Every persons situation is different. I would assume the more
    experience+training (both cert training and college training) you have, the
    better candidate you would be.

    Raymond Lewallen

    Raymond Lewallen, Apr 16, 2004

  3. Joey Beninghove

    Eric Guest

    The certs will help you get an entry level job. You can work up from
    there.

    Don't expect to get hired ahead of people with working experience.

    Eric, Apr 19, 2004
  4. Joey Beninghove

    Bob Guest

    Unfortunately, it has been my experience that it depends
    on the state of the economy than anything else. When I
    graduated with a BS in electrical Engineering from a top
    US engineering school, me and many of my classmates
    couldn't get jobs. Jobs were only for people with
    experience. Later, during the .com boom, when I then had
    an MS in computer science and 10+ years experience, I was
    competing with anybody who owned a PC. Many
    clients/companies said they didn't care about my degrees,
    only if I knew some specific technology. Any college
    dropout who could read a book and knew the right buzz
    words could get a 6 figure job. In today's economy,
    companies again seem to be demanding proven performance.

    Bob, May 31, 2004