    discount is usually only a few bucks. They mix the returns in with the
    shop-worn items and the 'last one in stock' stuff that didn't move.

    aem sends....

    ameijers, Jan 12, 2006

  2. Why do you insist on using loaded words like "extortion"? It's
    certainly *not* extortion since there is no coercion. You have to
    volunteer to be fleeced, twice.
    They may be making a bet that I'll not pay by the date the interest
    kicks in. I'm betting I will. I take every bet I can get that I
    *cannot* lose. I wish they'd loan me a few megabucks at 0%, hoping
    I'll not pay it back in a year. I think I could almost live off a
    few such deals. ;-)

    As for what everyone else does, why is that any of my business?
    Why do you feel it's yours?

    Keith Williams, Jan 12, 2006

  3. Now you're saying that banks break knee caps if you don't pay on
    time? I think your hyperbole engine has gone into hyper drive.
    We're not. We're freely choosing 0%, not caring what's on the
    other end. I'd never borrow money for appliances at >20% interest,
    though for my first house we were looking at >16%, perhaps 18%, and
    ended up at 14.5% because the rates came down _just_ before we
    closed.

    Keith Williams, Jan 12, 2006
  4. Racer X

    Mike Berger Guest

    I hope you would feel that you were stupid to go shopping at Best Buy
    for things you can't afford when you had more fundamental needs to meet.

    Mike Berger, Jan 12, 2006
  5. Racer X

    Mike Berger Guest

    Ahh, I see. You completely misunderstood.
    He accepted credit terms with 0% interest rate. The card
    also gives him the option of buying things at a 25.4% interest
    rate, which he indicated he had no intention of doing.

    So look at it as his having accepted credit terms of 0%, which
    is just what he did.

    Mike Berger, Jan 12, 2006
  6. Racer X

    Mike Berger Guest

    A number of states now restrict how those cards can expire.
    But to put it in the company's perspective:

    They are not allowed to claim gift cards as sales until they
    are redeemed. So they go into the company books as an
    "obligation". That hurts the balance sheets. No sales taxes
    are collected so the localities don't benefit either. They
    really WANT you do redeem those cards. Sitting on the money
    doesn't do them as much good as you seem to think.

    Mike Berger, Jan 12, 2006
  7. Racer X

    Mike Berger Guest

    Who will you call for warranty repair? Will they just bring out
    a new machine if you're unhappy, like Best Buy will?

    Mike Berger, Jan 12, 2006
  8. Racer X

    Mike Berger Guest

    Me too. They can usually waive restocking fees even where they're
    normally "required".

    Conversely I don't frequently buy, open, and return things -- I do
    my research prior to buying. So most of my returns are defective
    or unopened.

    Mike Berger, Jan 12, 2006
  9. Racer X

    Mike Berger Guest

    Err. because they accept returns 6 months after purchase? Some of that
    stuff looks pretty well used.

    Mike Berger, Jan 12, 2006
  10. Racer X

    Mike Berger Guest

    At half the rate for your time and trouble that the other guy
    charges, odds are good it's his studio you'll be cleaning up.

    Mike Berger, Jan 12, 2006
  11. : Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
    : >
    : >
    : >>The one in my area must have a
    : >>manager that believes in being customer-friendly.
    : >
    : > Or doesn't have a unusually high returns rate...

    I've never been given any hassle at all about returns at Best Buy,
    ever. The only time I ever had any trouble, it was because I didn't
    have my receipt for an under warranty repair, and must have written a
    check, instead of using plastic, or they would've had a record of it.

    : I've returned items a few times specifically
    : because they were customer-unfriendly. Here
    : are two examples:
    :
    : 1. Dell: I bought a PDA and needed tech support.
    : But the Indian guy on the phone, besides not
    : speaking English worth a damn, was rude also.
    : So I returned the item.

    You can't let the device be smarter than you are.....

    : 2. Circuit Shitty: I bought an item, but the
    : sales jerk insisted on walking me to the door
    : with the item, and then in front of customers
    : made an insulting comment that suggested I was
    : a thief, despite my having just paid for them item.
    : I told him he was a fat pig (true) then turned around
    : and returned it.

    I applaud you! Most of the time, Circuit City sucks so hard, you'd
    think it was a giant mosquito, if it weren't for the fact that they
    blow so hard, too. I must be a glutton for punishment though, because
    I still find myself walking in the door....though I almost never buy
    anything there.

    Spindler of Kittens, Jan 12, 2006
  12. I would call the factory warranty center just like I would if I bought it
    from Best Buy or anyone else. Why would I be unhappy with my purchase since
    I did the research before I bought it? For that matter, what I saved buying
    through a major contractor I could throw the new machine in the trash and
    order another and be at the break even point of what I would have paid at
    Best Buy.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 12, 2006
  13. Seriously, I don't buy things I can't afford or don't need. That being
    said, either way they would never be purchased from Best Buy.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 12, 2006
  14. It wouldn't be any of my business if *ALL* of these people meet their
    financial obligations and don't become a burden on society, for which I
    ultimately get the privilege to directly or indirectly pay for.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 12, 2006
  15. Racer X

    Viator Guest

    You're ignoring the fact that they charge manufacturers
    big bucks for *shelf space* and that that is retailers' major
    source of income.

    Viator

    Viator, Jan 13, 2006
  16. Racer X

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I'm not ignoring anything. BB's net profit of 1.8 something percent
    on sales is straight from their financial reports. Any income such as
    you describe would be included in that figure.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 13, 2006
  17. Racer X

    SoCalMike Guest

    for grocery stores, maybe. big box stores merchandise however they see
    fit, to drive maximum sales of the few products they carry.

    SoCalMike, Jan 13, 2006
  18. Umm, that's why there _are_ 25% interest rates. You don't have to
    use them.

    Keith Williams, Jan 13, 2006
  19. Racer X

    Bob Ward Guest

    It's called "making terrorist threats".

    Bob Ward, Jan 13, 2006
  20. Racer X

    quietguy Guest

    I would think that behaviour constitutes an assault in most places in the
    David - who wonders if people understand that an assault is committed if
    the assaultee FEELS theatened - if they are hit etc then battery is added
    to the charge

    quietguy, Jan 14, 2006