    He's checking theft by employees where the inspected person is in
    collusion with a cashier who has not rung up an item in the cart.
    He's also checking that an item was hidden from view and not rung up.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 11, 2006

  2. Racer X

    Steve Guest

    Not even on items purchased from stores that require the fee on any
    return?

    --

    My friends tell me I have an intimacy problem.
    But they don't really know me.

    ....Garry Shandling

    Steve, Jan 11, 2006

  3. Racer X

    Steve Guest

    Whew, you must frequent Costco stores on the planet Zorkon. :)

    In the stores I've seen, the exit checkers briefly scan the customer
    to determine that she actually has a cart and is not in a comatose
    state, then mark the bill. I've never seen an attempt to audit the
    cart's contents. Arthur Andersen would be proud.

    Steve, Jan 11, 2006
  4. Racer X

    Tony Cooper Guest

    No. I take the time to learn the store's policy, and don't buy things
    that I might return from stores that have a policy of restocking fees
    on everything. I find that even the stores that have such a policy
    will waive the policy if you have a good reason for the return and go
    to the manager. Politely.

    If I'm going to buy something that must fit on something that I have
    at home and can't bring in, I'll ask the store if the item is
    returnable and if there's a restocking fee. Quite often, the store
    will agree to make an exception to whatever their policy is if you
    clear the way in advance. If not, seek another store.

    I ran into this at an automobile dealer's parts desk. They had a big
    sign that said that a 15% restocking fee would be charged on all
    returns. Knowing the part might not be right, before I bought the
    part I discussed it with the parts manager. He scribbled on the
    receipt "No restocking fee".

    Tony Cooper, Jan 11, 2006
  5. And like I told Tony, "That sounds reasonable, at least for your needs." I
    just try to play devil's advocate and look at the other side of the
    spectrum. How would you, or I for that matter, feel if we were less
    fortunate?
    And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that just as long as you meet
    your financial obligations.
    Yep! Same here. The CC card I use the most has a rate of 11.9%, which I
    think is high, and I pay it off every month no matter how high the balance
    is. So, like you and Tony I don't pay interest either. Would I sign up for
    the same card if they advertised an interest rate of 25.4%? HELL FREAKEN
    NO! After reading some of the terms of these "in-house" creditors I feel
    they are not rewarding me for my past good credit performance and great FICO
    score. What's the point of having good credit if you are going to get raped
    when you least expect it?
    As do I pay my balance off every month and never pay interest. But, that
    doesn't mean I will agree to enter a contract with interest rates that are
    purely extortion. Why should I? You say these rates don't bother you?
    Well, they should even if they don't directly affect you now. I'll tell you
    the same thing I tell myself. I can be flying high on the hog today, but I
    don't know what tomorrow will bring no matter how much I prepare or how much
    cash I have stashed away in the bank. That being said, you might not care
    much now, but one day *IF* you unfortunately and unexpectedly have a
    catastrophic illness or no longer have that large income and are forced
    exclusive membership in the "Foreclosure Club" and have to file for
    bankruptcy I'm sure your attitude will change. Then again, maybe not since
    I get to pick up the tab for your actions like I have done for so many
    Americans that came before you.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 11, 2006
  6. Sure is.
    I no longer as of recent years buy from Best Buy or Circuit City whether in
    person or on-line due to business practices I dislike. I *DO* buy
    refurbished items from *OTHER* vendors. Maybe it's my poor grammar that's
    confusing you? I hope I cleared it up for you?

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 11, 2006
  7. The employee stealing time by not working their full shift or taking
    unauthorized breaks is depriving their employer an honest days work. Does
    that make him a consumer? If it's the "same cat, different foot" then it
    should be labeled as such. The only commonality is the loss to the business
    that is ultimately passed on to the consumer. When a business claims price
    increases are soley a direct result of shoplifting, they are, as you say,
    blowing smoke up our hind parts.
    And this is what I said.
    Then it would seem the system is working properly as I said in my original
    statement?

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 11, 2006
  8. And we have established earlier that I agree with this point and I'm not
    blaming them for this. If I don't believe in the terms of the program I won
    't voluntarily use gift cards that have expiration dates. That doesn't mean
    that I have absolute control over the person buying and giving me the card.
    My issue, why is an expiration date is needed if everything is in the
    merchant's favor? You claim you were in business for yourself? Wouldn't
    you love it if all your customers showered you with money you have no
    obligation of returning that has absolutely no administrative fees to worry
    about and have that money to use as you please interest free? And one day a
    year or two in the future you have a guaranteed sale of the exact amount if
    the customer remembers to use their credit. I just don't see the benefit to
    the merchant or the customer of an expiration date. If there is one other
    than they can simply impose one please let me know.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 11, 2006
  9. Yes, all good points, but if the system is set up for these people to fail
    than I think what matters is we *ALL* pay directly or indirectly in the end
    for this practice.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 11, 2006
  10. What does being "less fortunate" have to do with using someone
    else's money, free? If your "less fortunate" can't afford a (free)
    loan, then don't take it. It really is that simple.
    Exactly. ...and what do my obligations have to do with those of
    the "less fortunate"?
    How can you get "raped" if you read and _understand_ the credit
    terms. If the loan is *free* for 12 months and 100$ after that,
    what do I care. I would have bought the unit with cash, had the 0%
    offer not been on the table (might have bought elsewhere though).
    Drop the hyperbole. It's not extortion. You agreed to the T&Cs.
    The interest rate doesn't matter if you pay the loan on time.
    Nope, after the 0% part I couldn't care less what the interest is.
    In each case, when I've used the 0% financing, I've had the cash to
    buy. Why should I use my cash when someone else will let me use
    theirs for nothing? I hardly think a kilobuck or two is going to
    be the difference between "flying high" and the "Foreclosure Club".
    Maybe your circumstances are different.

    Keith Williams, Jan 11, 2006
  11. Racer X

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I don't recall a store ever making that statement. Rarely do they
    ever say more than "Due to increased costs..." and "To serve you
    better, we are jacking up prices". The latter is just businessspeak.

    The fact is that security precautions and "inventory shrinkage" *do*
    increase costs.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 11, 2006
  12. Racer X

    Tony Cooper Guest

    There is a business reason behind this. In some accounting systems,
    the receipt of the $100 for a gift card is not booked as income until
    the card is redeemed. The store doesn't want unrealized income on the
    books as deferred income. With a publicly held corporation, there are
    accounting rules that don't seem to make sense to the consumer, but do
    make sense from the shareholder's point of view.

    Some states have passed laws that gift cards cannot have an expiration
    date and that gift cards cannot have a depreciated value based on date
    of redemption.
    Mine was a privately held, not publicly held, corporation. There is
    no such thing as any transaction without some form of administrative
    fees tied to it. You don't have to allocate them, but they're there.
    It's pretty simple. They want you in the store to redeem the card.
    One of the reasons of offering a gift card is that the store knows the
    recipient will probably add to the cart and spend more money than the
    value of the card. The benefit is in the add-on purchases.

    Best Buy gained $100 because you didn't redeem the card, but they lost
    the chance to sell you a big screen TV system. They lost the chance
    of selling you a service agreement on what you could have purchased
    for $100. If you aren't there, you can't spend.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 11, 2006
  13. My circumstances are fine as I assume yours are. My point being is I don't
    participate in programs that foster extortion interest rates and terms.
    Fortunately, you and I have the luxury of making these choices at the rates
    we want, a lot of people don't. And these companies are betting the
    customer will run into problems and get a chance to slam them with interest
    payments. If these terms, which I hope you do read before signing, weren't
    in the issuer's favor they wouldn't need to add the high interest rates.
    They are hoping you will default. This is where they make their money. If
    it weren't making money for them they wouldn't need to consider your credit
    score and issue lower rates. I guess that's why they don't?

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 11, 2006
  14. I see you don't shop much at Home Depot? Next time you are there take a
    trip to the restroom and you'll see sign in every stall referencing
    shoplifting and the impacts it has on everyone's prices.
    Yes they do, and nobody is disputing that.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 11, 2006
  15. Racer X

    Rod Speed Guest

    No we dont. Those of us with a clue get to take advantage of the bait
    thats there to pull in the stupid suckers. Its completely trivial to ensure
    that you always pay off your balance in full every month and never
    ever get charged any interest at all, or any penalty charges either.

    Rod Speed, Jan 11, 2006
  16. Racer X

    Tony Cooper Guest

    My wife refers to Home Depot and Lowe's as "church", as in "Are you
    off to church?" on Sunday.

    I can't recall the exact wording of the signs, but saying that
    shoplifting contributes to higher prices is not the same as saying "We
    have increased prices due to incidents of shoplifting".

    Tony Cooper, Jan 11, 2006
  17. That makes sense. This leads me back to my original statement, though.
    They are still receiving income and they are still depositing it in an
    interest bearing or escrow type account. However they do it they are still
    realizing a profit on this.
    This is great news and really solves the problem.
    Yep, but on a gift card that this couldn't be that much more than an
    automatically tracked yes/no field on a spreadsheet.
    In theory I agree it's a good strategy.
    Yep. I guess at the time that $100 was more important to them? I am
    curious if they (Best Buy and Circuit City) have any published figures of
    the number of people that don't use their cards and what the total amount
    they made from this? It would be interesting to know.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 11, 2006
  18. LOL All I know is their bathrooms are far cleaner than most restaurants. I
    have to give them that.
    You are probably right about the wording, but I still say that a play with
    words still conveys the same idea, unless, of course, you are a politician.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 11, 2006
  19. Rod Speed wrote:

    We don't? I hope you are right. Yep! You are right about the sucker bait.
    We recently changed out our kitchen appliances from black to stainless steel
    and all the places that had all the great prices with the 12-month "0" deal
    couldn't match the deal one of our contractor friends got us. We went to
    the "big box" stores to look and pick out the brand and models we liked and
    gave him the information. Two days later they were delivered and we wrote
    him a check when his invoice came. Yes, it was as substantial savings. So,
    when you guys take advantage of these 0% financing deals are you really
    getting a good deal. In most cases you are not when the math is done.

    Making interest payments might be trivial to people that don't know how to
    get the most out of their money. The credit card companies make enough from
    all my monthly transactions, why should I give them one dime more?

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 11, 2006
  20. Racer X

    Rod Speed Guest

    Nope, we dont.
    Corse I'm right.
    Irrelevant to your silly claim that we all pay in the end for
    'these practices' Most obviously with 0% credit cards.
    Pig ignorant drivel with 0% credit cards.
    AVOIDING ANY INTEREST PAYMENTS is trivial.
    Never said you should, stupid.

    Rod Speed, Jan 11, 2006