    packaging; that is, they never open that box to make sure there's not
    a camera inside that water filter box. The opportunities for
    shoplifting abound. I will not believe no one takes advantage of them.

    Bill Funk, Jan 11, 2006

  2. Racer X

    Bill Funk Guest

    Have you actually seen that?
    I've had four mortgages, and I've never seen that.

    Bill Funk, Jan 11, 2006

  3. Racer X

    Bill Funk Guest

    I'm not sure of your point...
    Are you trying to say there are no curbs on returns, or that they
    aren't needed, or just that you know of one such free rental?
    I've seen car dealerships advertise a policy that says you can return
    your new car purchase within 30 days if you want to (no questions
    asked), and get your money back (a "small" mileage fee "may" apply).
    But the car is used if returned, and a mileage fee would need to be
    very high to cover the loss on a resale as used. How's that done? Easy
    to figure: prices are higher across the board.
    The consumer pays. Always.

    Bill Funk, Jan 11, 2006
  4. Racer X

    Bill Funk Guest

    I know human nature, and so should you.
    Obviously, not all people are dishonest. But Google on "inventory
    loss" or "inventory shrinkage" (sans quotes) and start reading. It's
    not exaggerated.
    Yes, retailers manage to stay in business. Imagine how much lower
    prices would be without theft. Prices are raised to cover the losses.
    Business 101.

    Bill Funk, Jan 11, 2006
  5. What part?
    Yes, that is very true, but we have separate issues to address. You got my
    point since the problem of "inventory loss" generated by internal loss is
    more a result of inept management and *shouldn't* be lumped in with
    shoplifting. Ultimately the customer pays for all the costs of a store
    doing business, but I get sick of hearing them use the old excuse of higher
    prices being a direct result of shoplifting. Employee theft is a different
    animal than consumer theft.
    They must be more than window-dressing since these stores are using them and
    paying their salaries. True, I agree with you that they might not be
    effective in some cases, but that is a result of how management uses them.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 11, 2006
  6. Racer X

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Sure. It's a minefield out there. I try to manage my cards to pay
    the least amount of interest possible, but stuff happens. I have one
    account that I pay on-line from a credit union account that I rarely
    use. The credit union rules are that I have to make a minimum of
    on-line transactions to receive the on-line services free.

    One month I must have misplaced the statement from this account and
    didn't make a payment. Just an error on my part. I got smacked with
    a $35 late fee. That's a lot of savings in interest fees blown. My
    error, though, and I can't hold the account at blame because I made a
    mistake.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 11, 2006
  7. Racer X

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Hon, I'm *me*, not "them". It's to my convenience to accept their
    card. Strings or no, it's convenient to me. I don't care if other
    people can't manage the program. If it works for me, I'll go along
    with it.

    Accepting a card at any interest rate isn't encouraging the bastards.
    You think Best Buy management is saying "Hey, look. Cooper's using
    our card! We must be doing things right."? You think someone else
    says "Wait, though. Rita isn't using our card so they must be on to
    us."?

    Tony Cooper, Jan 11, 2006
  8. Yep! That happens to all of us one time or another and there's nothing
    wrong with it. It's bad enough doing this with a CC that has an interest
    rate of 11.9%, but I would really hate to do it with something that had a
    25% interest rate and some really esoteric guidelines attached to it. That
    $35 fee is cheap insurance and a lesson learned that you wouldn't do that
    again.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 11, 2006
  9. Racer X

    Tony Cooper Guest

    That makes it OK then? If other people make stupid errors, then your
    error is OK.

    You just wrote a post about accepting a Best Buy card with a high
    interest rate and how stupid that is. Hey, many other people have the
    same card at the same rate, so how can it be stupid?

    You aren't really very good at consistency in logic, are you?
    You've never seen an "open box" discount table? You've never looked
    at web sites for the big box stores that offer - clearly designated -
    "refurbished" items at a discount?

    I don't see a problem with buying, say, a camera that has been
    returned and repackaged as long as there's no problem with the camera.
    I've returned things, and never felt that what I've returned would be
    a problem if someone else purchased it. If there is a problem, I'll
    return it. I can't recall that I've ever paid a restocking fee.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 11, 2006
  10. That sounds reasonable, at least for your needs. You don't think about the
    less fortunate much, do you?
    Fair enough. One question? Do you have good credit or are you high risk?
    If you do have excellent credit don't you find it a little degrading and an
    insult to your intelligence to have rates offered to you that are normally
    and exclusively reserved for people with bad credit?

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 11, 2006
  11. I never said my error was OK. I made the error and I paid the price, that's
    all. I'm not blaming them for my error. What I do have a problem with is
    the store gets a $100 gift in a year instead of an interest free loan and a
    guarantee that they will have a $100 sale. The expiration date crap is just
    that, crap.
    And many people don't know how to manage their finances either, that's no
    reason to abuse these very same people. I guess it's justifiable to take
    advantage of the clueless or unfortunate?
    Where have I not been 100% consistent?
    Nope, I never have seen an open box discount table in these stores. And no,
    I never look on their website for refurbs. Why would I buy from them
    on-line when I refuse to buy from them in person?
    I have absolutely no problem buying refurbished items just as long as it is
    disclosed as such and priced accordingly. The difference is I get to make
    the decision if I want to buy refurbs. Taking my choice away by repacking
    returns and selling them as new is deceptive, pure and simple.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 11, 2006
  12. Racer X

    Sev Guest

    Mike, you're right, that is the official policy- surprisingly, it
    isn't always enforced. I know because I had a camera mysteriously fail
    on me past the 6 mo. period- they took it back anyway no questions
    asked. I had checked out the manufacturer's warranty process; it just
    seemed too cumbersome. We are very good customers; spend thousands a
    year there- could be the reason.

    Sev, Jan 11, 2006
  13. Racer X

    Steve Guest

    Of course, this "human nature" doesn't apply to you. Or me. Or any
    of the others posting here. Only to those unknown zillions out there
    ripping off retailers for fun and profit. All I'm saying is that we
    have no proof this is really a problem, only scattered anecdotes and a
    bunch of whining by some (not all) retailers. Somehow it's attained
    the status of received wisdom, as in the "lawsuit crisis" invented by
    insurance companies to justify skyrocketing malpractice premiums.

    --

    My friends tell me I have an intimacy problem.
    But they don't really know me.

    ....Garry Shandling

    Steve, Jan 11, 2006
  14. Not speaking for Tony, but when it's *my* money no, the "less
    fortunate" don't figure into the equation at all.

    I take advantage of every 0% deal I can get. Why use my money when
    I can use theirs. We've purchased almost every appliance in our
    kitchen, a sofa, a snow thrower, and other major tools using 0%
    deals. We had the cash, but why use cash when we can use their
    money?
    Again, not speaking for Tony, but my credit is pretty good (good
    enough that I don't worry/know about FICO scores).
    No, because I'll never pay a dime of it. They could make it 100%
    and it wouldn't bother me at all.

    Keith Williams, Jan 11, 2006
  15. Racer X

    Bill Funk Guest

    If someone causes crashes while driving, is it "taking advantage" to
    raise their insurance rates?
    If someone doesn't know how to manage their money, is it "taking
    advantage" to raise their credit card rates?
    If someone volunteers for high rate credit cards, is it "taking
    advantage" to charge them those rates?
    Higher rates aren't usually indications of "taking advantage", but
    rather a result of risk assessment. Or volunteering for higher rates.
    A 25+% store credit card isn't "taking advantage." It's voluntary.

    Bill Funk, Jan 11, 2006
  16. Racer X

    Bill Funk Guest

    Just because you don't see them (especially when you refuse to look)
    doesn't mean they don't exist.

    Bill Funk, Jan 11, 2006
  17. Racer X

    Bill Funk Guest

    Not 100% consistant.
    If you won't buy any refurbished items either online or in person, why
    say you have "absolutely no problem buying refurbished items"?
    Rita, you're not saying what you mean to say, or you're just not
    keeping track.

    Bill Funk, Jan 11, 2006
  18. Racer X

    Bill Funk Guest

    That should be:
    "Plus, I have *never* seen one of those 'guards' do more than
    inventory *the* packaging;"
    Meaning, they don't open the boxes, just count items.

    Bill Funk, Jan 11, 2006
  19. Racer X

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Not in this case. Nor do I think about the starving people in Africa
    when I sit down to dinner. You think I'm going to decline a second
    helping because there's someone somewhere that hasn't had a first
    helping?

    There's a time, a place, and a means of helping the less fortunate.
    There's a time for multi-tasking, though.
    Truth? I don't even think about it. I was making a purchase at Best
    Buy and they offered a credit card - with a gift certificate - on the
    spot. I didn't even look at the terms. I know that I can manage the
    system and avoid almost all of the interest - regardless of rate - if
    I pay the bills right.

    The interest rate is immaterial if you pay in such a way to avoid all
    interest.

    I've raised children and gone through their teenage years. I don't
    worry about someone questioning my intelligence.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 11, 2006
  20. Racer X

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Where's the problem, though? Is the store wrong to offer the program,
    or the person wrong to accept the program? It's not the store's fault
    that someone accepted the program and gave you the card. It's not the
    store's fault that you didn't use the card.
    In the above.
    Make up your mind, Rita. In one post you say you never go in the
    stores. In another post you say you rarely go in the stores. Now you
    say you've never seen the "open box" sales. How can you say they
    don't have "open box" sales if you don't ever, or rarely, go in the
    stores?
    Back to "I never...".
    If you don't go in the stores, how do you know they are selling
    repackaged? Osmosis?

    Not good at consistency of logical thinking.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 11, 2006