    SoCalMike Guest

    good guys wasnt that good. it was only a matter of time before they went
    tits-up. i predict tower records will be gone within 5 years, as well.

    SoCalMike, Jan 11, 2006

  2. Racer X

    Sev Guest

    Usually had no trouble with returns- anywhere, though Best Buy is
    tougher than most. Extended warranties- yes, I actually buy them on
    occasion. I have kids- and they do things- to things, in spite of my
    best efforts. Good deal for me- not always so good for the store/
    manufacturer. One word cure for these woes : Costco

    Sev, Jan 11, 2006

  3. Racer X

    SoCalMike Guest

    ive seen it all. people returning P2 233mhz computers because they "dont
    work", $3000 5 yr old "big screen" tvs, that the "sound went out", etc.

    SoCalMike, Jan 11, 2006
  4. Racer X

    SoCalMike Guest

    where do they allow such easy returns?

    SoCalMike, Jan 11, 2006
  5. Racer X

    SoCalMike Guest

    some places need to be more restrictive.

    you ever see someone buy 10 folding banquet tables, and 100(!) folding
    chairs, only to return em a week later?

    i have.

    SoCalMike, Jan 11, 2006
  6. Racer X

    SoCalMike Guest

    "back in the day" people had ethics and wouldnt stoop to trying to pull
    the crap they do now. the same korean liquor store owner who wont let
    you "use their liquor store as a library" (you no LOOK- you BUY... NOW!)
    has no problem buying tables and chairs for 100 people, then returning
    em to the store.
    oh, i do. ive seen it all, and then some.

    SoCalMike, Jan 11, 2006
  7. Racer X

    SoCalMike Guest

    its only collusion if they conspire to fix prices. setting policy is NOT
    collusion.

    SoCalMike, Jan 11, 2006
  8. Racer X

    SoCalMike Guest

    if you do good work and have low overhead? for $250, you might clean up!

    SoCalMike, Jan 11, 2006
  9. Racer X

    SoCalMike Guest

    not in california. sell it on ebay to a californian.

    SoCalMike, Jan 11, 2006
  10. Racer X

    SoCalMike Guest

    on some things, at some warehouses. they recently had to switch to ONLY
    a 6 month return policy on computers, since they were getting people
    "trading up" after several years.

    a good pentium2 system was easily over $2000 when new. thatd get a P4
    vaio, fully loaded with a 21" widescreen these days, and money back.

    SoCalMike, Jan 11, 2006
  11. Racer X

    Steve Guest

    A different Steve wrote:

    I think this is one of those things that "everybody knows is true". For everyone who
    treats a purchase as a rental I expect there are dozens or more who treat it as an
    evaluation period. Best Buy is fond of running ads about playing with stuff before
    you buy it, but has anyone found a digital camera with charged batteries and a memory
    card in it? You certainly can't evaluate a pair of speakers with all the other noise
    that's a constant presence. At least a couple of times I've bought items where I was
    pretty sure, but not positive, I would be happy with it because there was no
    restocking fee or I could get a 100% credit toward another purchase if I decided it
    wasn't quite right. I don't know if their policy has changed but I did get a 100%
    store credit on an open box from my local circuit city several years ago.

    --
    Steve

    belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.

    If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the address.

    Steve, Jan 11, 2006
  12. Racer X

    Steve Guest

    Lenders always set rules they believe will benefit them. If you send an extra $100
    with your mortgage payment but don't designate it as payment on principal they may
    decide it's a deposit on next month's payment, since that's an interest free loan to
    them. In the case of merchandise that won't generate interest if you pay it off by
    the deadline, they'd much rather forego that 22 cents in the hopes they'll be able to
    collect $50 on the big screen TV you're hoping to pay off before the deadline. Of
    course, even if you only owe $10 when the deadline rolls around you'll pay interest
    on the entire price, and based on the full period of time. Even if the stuff does get
    paid off on time I'm guessing they sell a lot more than they would if people had to
    pay interest from day one.

    Steve, Jan 11, 2006
  13. Racer X

    Steve Guest

    Yeah, but he hasn't accounted for the time of unpacking and packing the camera and
    maybe going out of his way to return it. More importantly he shouldn't have lost the
    $60 and gone through any hassle in the first place. Do I make thousands of dollars an
    hour every time I get handed a paycheck without having to spend several minutes
    convincing the boss he shouldn't keep it?

    Steve, Jan 11, 2006
  14. Racer X

    Steve Guest

    Based on the story, neither the droid nor the manager made any effort to verify the
    claim, dismissing it until the customer made the extra effort. We all know the
    customer isn't always right in the real world, but good customer service means
    starting from that assumption and disproving it when it isn't true.

    Steve, Jan 11, 2006
  15. Racer X

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Never considered that. Might have something to do with it.

    --An armed society is a polite society. R.A. Heinlein.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 11, 2006
  16. Racer X

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Look at what you said, and how you said it. Never mind, you wouldn't
    understand.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 11, 2006
  17. Racer X

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Sounds like one of those 'kinky' sites managed to insert something even
    more unwholesome than the pictures into the computer... It just needed
    'delousing'. Glad it worked out for you.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 11, 2006
  18. Racer X

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Sigh. Do you feel compelled to case aspersions on people you don't know
    (bimbo and bitch) because they are doing their jobs? Or do you just
    have something against females in general, or perhaps you just have that
    attitude with everyone. I find that a polite 'no thanks' gets rid of
    the extended service plan sales attempts quite nicely, although I also
    find them annoying.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 11, 2006
  19. Are you serious? Why would anyone with limited cognitive facilities even
    remotely entertain the idea of agreeing to anything that has an interest
    rate of 25.4% strapped to it, even if they are 100% certain they will pay it
    off in 24-hours and not incur any fees? I'm sure that you will pay it off
    before it becomes a problem, but a lot of people with good intentions of
    doing so don't because of unforeseen events in their life. Just the
    thoughts of encouraging these thieving bastards to use highway robbery
    techniques makes me sick and makes it harder for the average person to get
    *reasonable* credit terms at these places.
    That's debatable. Agreeing to those obnoxious and outrageous terms isn't
    bumping you up to the head of the class.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 11, 2006
  20. You "owned a business most of your life" so I would assume you know the
    drill?
    Yes, they are geniuses since they are betting that a large portion of
    consumers will do exactly what I did, and a lot do, which is forgetting to
    use the gift card in the allotted time. Do I feel stupid about forgetting
    to use the card? No, because a lot of people are guilty of doing the very
    same thing according to CNN. Why play these silly games with plastic when
    it's better to give Ben Franklins as gifts?
    Come on, Tony! What do you think these two chains do with all the customer
    returns? Throw them in the dumpster and eat the loss? The limited times I
    have been in these two stores I have never seen a discount table that had
    customer returns for sale.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 11, 2006