    Ron Hunter Guest

    With your attitude, I suspect you have a LOT of trouble with returns,
    anywhere... Sigh.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 10, 2006

  2. Racer X

    SimonLW Guest

    I stopped shopping there years ago after a rebate scam lawsuit they were
    involved in. I don't think their prices are on the average that great. Also
    who needs the hassle when making a return. I bought one of those Belkin ipod
    digital tuning stereo transmitters from Meijer. The sound quality was not
    that great (lots of background hiss). I returned. No hassles at all.
    -S

    SimonLW, Jan 10, 2006

  3. Racer X

    timeOday Guest

    I do see a problem with it. They rejected a perfectly valid return
    repeatedly until the customer thought up a clever way around their
    objections. They demanded an unreasonable fee. It's a great lesson in
    persistence though.

    timeOday, Jan 10, 2006
  4. Racer X

    Mike Guest

    You may have won the match, but you should have not been required to
    play.

    Mike, Jan 10, 2006
  5. Racer X

    RK Guest

    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Sony VAIO subnote purchased at CompUSA
    a few years ago. It was a 'returned' item, fully checked out I was
    assured. Got it home and damn thing wouldn't boot right, etc. When I
    did get it going I discovered that they had never even bothered to
    clean the hard drive. Though the previous owner had deleted his work
    files, he did not delete browsing history, his name, etc. so i was able
    to discover that the feller had been into some pretty, ahem, kinky
    websites, etc. Of course, CompUSA then did the necessary restoration,
    which took several days. Happily, it has been a near perfect product,
    and at a great price, ever since. Previously, I had purchased a
    'returned' desktop for backup purposes, and on getting it home
    discovered its floppy was kaput. So much for CompUSA.

    RK, Jan 10, 2006
  6. LOL!! That's rich!!

    Best Buy jerks a customer around for 20 minutes on a legitimate
    return, but you think *I* am the one with the attitude?

    Why don't you remove your nose from Best Buy's corporate sphincter for
    a minute and think about what you're saying?

    Scott en Aztlán, Jan 10, 2006
  7. Actually, you probably just exhausted the "three no's policy." Stores
    like Circuit Shitty have a policy which requires the clerk to push the
    extended service plan until the customer has said "no" three times.
    Best Buy appears to have (had) a similar policy; the last straw for me
    WRT shopping at BB occurred several years ago, when some bimbo at the
    checkout kept nagging me to purchase an ESP. I finally asked the bitch
    point blank if many customers get pissed off at her incessant
    shilling; her practiced response was "only a few."

    Scott en Aztlán, Jan 10, 2006
  8. Racer X

    Bill Funk Guest

    It really is up to the customer doing the return to demonstrate the
    problem. Once the problem was demonstrated, the item was accepted as
    faulty. Extremely reasonable.
    While the *idea* of a restocking fee is unliked by many, it's not
    really unreasonable.
    20 minutes isn't what I'd call "persistance." I've spent far more than
    that just buying things online.

    Bill Funk, Jan 10, 2006
  9. Racer X

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I read these things and I just have to wonder about the people
    involved. On the last purchase I made at a store with an extended
    service plan, I was asked. Once. I politely but firmly declined.

    I've never had much trouble returning things for credit or exchange if
    I had the proper paperwork.

    All of these transactions are people-to-people incidents. Go in with
    an attitude and you get attitude. Of course, being the next in line
    after the guy ahead of you calls the checkout person a bitch does
    increase the chances of having a hard time.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 10, 2006
  10. Racer X

    Mike Berger Guest

    Lessee, you went into the bathroom, recorded audio, and he
    heard a "hiss".

    I wouldn't fall for that!

    Mike Berger, Jan 10, 2006
  11. Racer X

    Mike Berger Guest

    All items are not alike. You exchanged one defective item for
    an identical one. And the disk drive was still in the original
    sealed box. Those transactions aren't very problematic.

    Cameras and laptops that have been used are more suspect, because
    people depend on Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. for free "rentals".
    I can see why they would be more reluctant to take your used camera
    back for a cash refund rather than an exchange even though your
    reasons in this case may be legitimate.

    Mike Berger, Jan 10, 2006
  12. Racer X

    Mike Berger Guest

    Wow, that's pretty awful. I'm sure everybody here would agree
    that they should have charged the person who originally bought
    and returned it a 20% restocking fee rather than just selling
    it again as new.

    To avoid this problem, only shop at stores that have really
    crappy return policies.

    Mike Berger, Jan 10, 2006
  13. Racer X

    Mike Berger Guest

    How were the best buy staffers supposed to know it was
    legitimate when it was such a subtle problem you had to
    be in a silent room to hear it? Maybe they don't read
    the same magazines and newsgroups as the OP.

    Mike Berger, Jan 10, 2006
  14. Racer X

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I hope not.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 10, 2006
  15. Racer X

    Ernie Klein Guest

    Same experience here in a SF Bay Area BB. I bought a $700 GPS unit
    about a month ago that crashed and rebooted itself on occasion so I
    returned it for an exchange.
    Same thing. They didn't even open the box, just said to go get another
    one and bring it to the return counter, which I did. Exchange made and
    out the door. Whole thing took less than 5 minutes.

    BTW for the last 3 transactions at this BB within the last couple of
    months, the GPS, a cordless phone, And a DVD recorder/player; I was not
    even _asked_ if I wanted an extended warranty. Maybe they have gotten
    the message.

    --
    -Ernie-

    "There are only two kinds of computer users -- those who have
    suffered a catastrophic hard drive failure, and those who will."

    Have you done your backup today?

    Ernie Klein, Jan 10, 2006
  16. Racer X

    Steve Guest

    Certainly this is an argument used by the retailers, but I wonder just
    how pervasive this practice actually is, or whether the statistics
    simply assume that every return is an attempted scam.

    Steve, Jan 10, 2006
  17. Racer X

    Tony Cooper Guest

    There's quite a gap between "pervasive" and "every return". Retailers
    run on very low net margin figures. That's net, not gross on each
    item sold. It doesn't take a lot of losses based on no-longer-salable
    items that come in as returns to seriously affect the bottom line.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 10, 2006
  18. Racer X

    John Emmons Guest

    A blanket statement like, "retailers run on very low net margin figures..."
    is at best misleading.

    It very much depends on the sort of merchandise that's being sold by the
    retailer.

    The point at which a "lot of losses" becomes a problem is also variable
    depending on whether or not the items in question are defective, which can
    be returned to the supplier for credit or exchange and on whether the net
    margin on each item being returned is high or low.

    Some electronic equipment has incredibly high profit margins, some doesn't.

    Cameras for example, very low margin. Stereo equipment, very high,
    particularly speakers.

    Lots of losses also depends on the volume of sales, I can't imagine what
    would constitute a lot of losses for a chain of retailers on the magnitude
    of a Best Buy. With the exception of the recent closing of Good Guys after
    being swallowed up the one of the worst consumer computer stores in the
    known world, the consumer electronics business seems to be thriving.

    Somebody's selling everyone all those ipods and plasma screens...

    John E.

    John Emmons, Jan 10, 2006
  19. Racer X

    Steve Guest

    True, but I wonder if it's even remotely pervasive. Is there any
    proof, other than scattered anecdotes, that it occurs on any kind of a
    regular basis? Or is this simply another excuse for retailers to
    restrict honest returns and charge additional fees?

    Steve, Jan 10, 2006
  20. Racer X

    Mitchell Guest

    Sadly, I can only provide anecdotal evidence, but I know of two people who
    take advantage of the system this way as a lifestyle. Those are only the
    people who I've witnessed doing so. I may know more such people. I'm
    convinced that the practice is pervasive.

    +++

    Mitchell, Jan 10, 2006