    Legally that is just plain wrong.
    Legally that is just plain wrong. Tho many shop
    keepers are ignorant of the basics with the law.

    Rod Speed, Jan 15, 2006

  2. Racer X

    Bill Funk Guest

    I've never heard that.
    Got a cite?
    No, it's not.
    Why would it be?
    I think maybe you're confusing this with something else. In the US,
    the retailer is not required to accept a return simply because the
    customer says, "It's broken." It actually has to be broken. The
    customer must demonstrate that it's broken.

    Bill Funk, Jan 15, 2006

  3. Racer X

    Bill Funk Guest

    We are, unfortunately, talking about different things.
    Not a replacement, but a return for a refund. Moiney back. As in free
    rental.
    Non sequitur.
    Those "games" lower your cost. I thought maybe that would be somewhat
    important to you, since you seem to think that's one of the major good
    things about buying online.
    When you need to return something online, do you just send it back
    with a cover note saying, "It's broken. Refund my money"? Or do you
    describe the broken part?

    Bill Funk, Jan 15, 2006
  4. Racer X

    Rod Speed Guest

    Cite for what ? You never heard about the common law ?
    Yes it is.
    Because that is the law.
    Yes, but the customer doesnt have to PROVE that its broken.
    Most obviously with an intermittent fault.
    Wrong, legally.

    Rod Speed, Jan 15, 2006
  5. I think we're talking about the same thing but looking at it differently.
    Yes, I realize he wanted his money back and not a return. My feeling is if
    the OP was intent on getting a "properly" functioning camera he would have
    tried another instead of demanding his money back. And as you can see his
    pissing contest got him his money back. It's called customer service
    whether you or I agree with it or not. The bottom line here is that a
    customer is going to get a full refund. It's just a matter of whose pride
    will be hurt first.
    Absolutely not, especially when this is the proper way towards a logical
    progression to deal with all scenarios and directions this thread has taken.
    When I purchase an item I am purchasing an item and the last thing I want to
    do is play games. It's black and white for me. Either you are going to
    refund my money or you are not. If are not going to refund my money than
    you damn well better have had a "No Refunds" sign posted at the register or
    on the merchandise you are trying to sell me. These games have nothing to
    do with lowering our costs.
    Nope! I call the merchant and explain my problem and figure out what my
    options are and how *THEY* want to handle it first. For instance I ordered
    an item that came to me slightly damaged, but it was usable when I put it
    back together. I thought about it and seen this is a design flaw that can
    cause problems when in use. So, I called the merchant and explained the
    situation. They volunteered without me asking to send a replacement. I
    asked if I could exchange this one for a different brand of better quality
    that was slightly more expensive. They did. That's how it's done. They
    now have a repeat loyal customer.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 15, 2006
  6. Racer X

    Tony Cooper Guest

    "Common law", by definition, is unwritten. There is no law that is
    the common law. The term refers to a system of laws based on case
    law, previous rulings, and usage.

    Written laws are "statute law". An act is only illegal if it is
    prohibited by statute law.

    When you are asked for a cite of the law, you are being asked to cite
    the statute where the law was enacted. Absent a written law that
    requires defective items to be returnable, a retailer need not accept
    a defective item for return.

    Now...where's your cite of a statutory law on this subject?

    Tony Cooper, Jan 16, 2006
  7. Racer X

    Paul Rubin Guest

    That's not how it works. Case law (written decisions from appellate
    courts) is also law.
    Something like that would be probably governed by the UCC, which is
    statutory in (iirc) every state except Louisiana. However, a case
    cite from an appropriate jurisdiction based on some other statute
    would also be sufficient. IANAL and I'm sure a lawyer could explain
    this better than I can.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 16, 2006
  8. Racer X

    Rod Speed Guest

    That is just plain wrong.
    Wrong again.
    Yes, but that doesnt mean that the rulings etc
    werent ever written or that it isnt the law either.
    Separate matter entirely.
    Wrong again.
    Wrong again. Most obviously when it ends up in the
    small claims court and the retailer gets forced to
    provide the refund that he was stupid enough to
    refuse with an item that was defective out of the box.
    Never said a word about statutory law.

    And that exists in plenty of jurisdictions anyway.

    Rod Speed, Jan 16, 2006
  9. Racer X

    Bob Ward Guest

    Bercause if it's not defective, there isd a restocking fee.

    The poster wanted a refund, not an exchange.

    Try to keep up. The question revolves around a refund, not an
    exchange.

    From www.bestbuy.com:

    2005 Holiday Return Policy - Extended Return Dates
    (for purchases between November 1, 2005 - December 24, 2005)

    Returning holiday gifts — Shop worry-free this holiday season knowing
    your gifts are covered by our Holiday Return Policy. Purchases made
    between Tuesday, November 1, 2005 and Saturday, December 24, 2005
    qualify for our Holiday Return Policy and may be returned anytime
    prior to Tuesday, January 24, 2006.

    Exceptions:
    Desktop and notebook computer purchases are not included in the
    extended Holiday Return Policy

    Projector, camcorder, radar detector, printer, monitor and digital
    camera returns must be completed by Sunday, January 8, 2006

    Purchases made in Canada must be returned and price-matched in
    Canadian stores only

    Best Buy Retail Store Return Policy

    30-day Return Period
    We accept returns or exchanges 30 days from the original purchase.
    Please review the details below.

    14-day Return Period
    We accept returns or exchanges 14 days from the original purchase on
    computers, monitors, printers, notebook computers, projectors,
    camcorders, digital cameras and radar detectors.

    Restocking Fee
    Unless defective, a restocking fee of 15% will be charged on opened
    notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, radar
    detectors, GPS/navigation and in-car video systems. Unless defective,
    a restocking fee of 25% will be charged on special order products,
    including appliances.

    Missing Item or Damaged Product Fee
    A missing item or damaged product fee will be charged for any product
    missing the original box, packaging material, contents, accessories
    and/or manuals (i.e., any product not in "like new" condition).

    Return and Exchange Requirements
    Your original receipt is required for all returns, exchanges, price
    matches and warranty repair services. All returns, exchanges and price
    adjustments must be made in the country of original purchase. For cash
    purchases over $250 and check purchases over $100, your refund will be
    issued by check from our corporate office within 14 business days of
    the return.

    Personal Data
    Please remove all personal data (e.g., computer or wireless phone
    data, videotapes) from any returned or exchanged products. Best Buy is
    not responsible for any personal data left on or in these items.

    Nonreturnable Items
    These items include labor and/or installation services; consumable
    items such as phone cards, gift cards, food and drink; or items that
    are damaged or abused. Opened computer software, movies, music and
    video games can be exchanged for the identical item but cannot be
    returned for a refund. Any merchandise missing the original Universal
    Product Code (UPC) is available for an even exchange only on the
    identical product.

    Any product that is returned without promotional item(s) included with
    the original transaction (e.g., buy TV, get free DVD player; buy TV,
    get free gift card; or buy TV, get DVD player for half off) will have
    the value of the promotional item deducted from the refund amount.

    Any product that was purchased when a mail-in rebate was available on
    the purchase is subject to having the amount of the rebate deducted
    from the refund amount.

    Policy varies in Hawaii. See store for complete details.

    Best Buy reserves the right to deny any return.

    Bob Ward, Jan 16, 2006
  10. Racer X

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Yes, and case law is based on past decisions which were rulings on
    cases involving statute law. The decision cited says that this
    particular law included this or that or was meant to include this or
    that. Case law refers to precedent set by earlier rulings and allows
    interpretation of the application of the law. First, you must have a
    law.

    There is no such thing a common law. It is a system, not a law.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 16, 2006
  11. I couldn't agree more!

    I'm also *extremely* pleased to see that not every contributor to this
    thread is a mindless sheeple. There's hope for us consumers yet. ;)

    Scott en Aztlán, Jan 16, 2006
  12. And that, of course, justifies treating all customers like criminals
    until proven otherwise.

    Don't be surprised if one day Best Buy installs a holding cell you get
    to wait in while they determine whether or not your return is
    "legitimate" and, if the decision comes down against you, not only
    will they confiscate your property but you get to wait in the cell
    until the paddy wagon shows up. And y'all will no doubt defend BB for
    doing it.

    Scott en Aztlán, Jan 16, 2006
  13. May be a good idea considering how much fraud and stolen merchandise is
    "returned" to stores every day. Once all the criminals are locked up, the
    rest of us can easily take back our defective and otherwise returnable items
    readily.

    The OP wanted a refund, not a replacement. That is what the shoplifters ask
    for and immediately puts the store owner on alert to take extra care. Not
    all criminals look like thieves either. Some look like sweet, cute,
    innocent people, like you and me.

    I have a couple of HP ink cartridges I can no longer use. I figured I'd give
    them away. One is a #49 that is at least four years old. One of the people
    I made the offer too could not understand why I just don't return it to the
    store. If I bought it a couple of weeks ago, I'd agree, but four years is
    pushing it. I'd rather give it away.

    Edwin Pawlowski, Jan 16, 2006
  14. Racer X

    miles Guest

    Best Buy is just horrible all the way around. I went into Best Buy to
    buy a $1500 laptop they had on sale. I went to the computer dept. and
    said I'd like to buy one. The computer salesperson said he'd be right
    with me as soon as he finished with one other customer. Well, he
    finished with that one, then helped another. I asked again and was told
    to wait. Then the salesperson took off somewhere. After waiting a
    total of 30 minutes I went to the front of the store to ask for a
    manager and told that person I would like to buy a laptop for $1500
    thats on sale but could not get help. The manager told me to go back to
    the computer desk and wait for a salesperson to help me. I left and
    bought it elsewhere and have never been back to Best Buy.

    miles, Jan 16, 2006
  15. Racer X

    Rod Speed Guest

    Not necessarily, particularly in the past.
    Wrong again.
    Doesnt have to be statute law.
    No one even mentioned 'a common law'
    Duh. Pity no one even mentioned 'a common law'

    Rod Speed, Jan 16, 2006
  16. Racer X

    crowet Guest

    crowet, Jan 16, 2006
  17. Racer X

    Rod Speed Guest

    Rod Speed, Jan 16, 2006
  18. Racer X

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Not when you understand "codified".

    Tony Cooper, Jan 16, 2006
  19. Racer X

    Steve Guest

    The Real Bev wrote:

    Personally I appreciate the humor in his idea, as I've met clerks (as well as others)
    who would surely better the world with their absence. Perhaps others are taking him a
    bit too seriously.

    In his particular scenario, though, a crime has definitely been committed when he
    verbalizes a credible threat. Since somebody trying to return merchandise and getting
    agitated when they are given a hard time isn't a credible threat of assault or
    burglary the shaking hand in his pocket isn't a criminal act as long as he doesn't
    offer up an intent to threaten anybody. Of course that doesn't mean he won't be
    convicted, either by a jury or a bystander.

    --
    Steve

    belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.

    If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the address.

    Steve, Jan 16, 2006
  20. Racer X

    Steve Guest

    quietguy wrote:

    That's clearly an example of the law run amok. Why should an angry customer be
    arrested just because a store clerk is an extraordinary pussy? Laws should be based
    on people's actions, not other people's fears.

    Steve, Jan 16, 2006