experience of returning camera to Best Buy

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Racer X, Jan 10, 2006.

  1. Racer X

    Ernie Klein Guest

    I can't help but think that there might be more to the OP's story than
    meets the eye -- we have only heard one side, and there are two sides
    to every story.

    I have done business with the local BB for years and in that time have
    returned several items (some big ticket) for verious manufacturing
    defects, and not once, *never*, have I had to demonstrate or even show
    the defect. In most cases they didn't even open the box, and when they
    did, it was only to check that all the parts were there.

    The return/exchange service has always been fast and friendly (and no, I
    do not stop to have my receipt or package checked by the 'door goon',
    whether it be BB, Fry's, Target, or any other store; I just walk on by.)

    Maybe the quality of service varies in different BB's or different parts
    of the country, but I have never had a bad experience at BB. YMMV.

    --
    -Ernie-

    "There are only two kinds of computer users -- those who have
    suffered a catastrophic hard drive failure, and those who will."

    Have you done your backup today?

    Ernie Klein, Jan 14, 2006

  2. Racer X

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I'll bet the number of converts you've made over the years would fit
    in the back seat of your Big Wheel.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 14, 2006

  3. Racer X

    Sammy Guest

    Do you think this thread could die? It's no longer on, nor
    near topic. Please take it somewhere else!

    Sammy

    Sammy, Jan 14, 2006

  4. People with attitudes like, "The Real Bev" obviously
    lack the life experiences to understand that point.

    If she is ever the target of a REAL armed robbery in
    HER workplace, I bet she will change her attitude real
    quick.

    Antipodean Bucket Farmer, Jan 14, 2006
  5. Racer X

    Bob Ward Guest

    Bev also thinks that pushing a car on the freeway makes good sense, as
    well - so take her advice accordingly.

    Bob Ward, Jan 15, 2006
  6. Racer X

    Bill Funk Guest

    Yes.
    It is the job of the customer to point out and demonstrate the
    problem.
    If that customer needs to go into the restroom to do so, so be it.
    The other alternative is for the store to accept for return *any* item
    the customer claims is defective without any checking at all.
    This will result in much higher costs for consumers. There's no way
    around it.
    The end result in this case was that the customer was able to return
    the camera. You can claim that this was somehow evil because the
    customer waqs required to demonstrate his claim of a defective
    product, but that doesn't change the facts that this is necessary, and
    it worked.

    Bill Funk, Jan 15, 2006
  7. Bill Funk wrote:

    It seems odd that this seems to be one of the few, if only, stores
    that requires the customer to demonstrate how the item is defective
    on the spot before a return is authorized. I can think of lots of
    items which would be impossible to demonstrate in the store. It's
    likely this isn't even a Best Buy requirement but rather just some
    power tripping minimum wage employee.

    Sure, they should test the items to verify the claim but that can
    be done by qualified people once it's has been returned and the items
    repaired, refurbished or simply resold. The other alternative is a
    simple "No Returns" policy.

    Anthony

    Anthony Matonak, Jan 15, 2006
  8. Racer X

    Rod Speed Guest

    Not legal if its defective.

    Rod Speed, Jan 15, 2006
  9. Racer X

    Ernie Klein Guest

    Best Buy's policy is that an item can be returned within 30 days (15 for
    computers and some other items) for _any_ reason. Why would a customer
    claim an item was defective if it was not? What could anyone gain by
    claiming the item was defective when they could just return it anyway?

    I assume that most customers, like me, want the item in question,
    otherwise I wouldn't have purchased it in the first place. If the item
    is defective I am going to exchange it for one that works.

    Why in the world would the store think I would try to exchange a
    non-defective item for another non-defective item? It doesn't make
    sense. I am the one that has to repackage the item and travel to the
    store on my time and expense in order to exchange the item so I can get
    one that works. What could I possible gain by returning a good item to
    the store and claiming it is defective? The store can return the item
    to the manufacture for full credit.
    As I have stated in another post: I have returned/exchanged several
    defective items to Best Buy and have never been asked to demonstrate the
    problem.
    For big box stores like Best Buy, a no returns policy == a no customers
    policy.

    Ernie Klein, Jan 15, 2006
  10. To avoid the 15% re-stocking charge.
    The OP wanted a refund, not an exchange.

    True, but the big stores are finding a too liberal returns policy = no
    profit.

    Edwin Pawlowski, Jan 15, 2006
  11. Racer X

    Ernie Klein Guest

    That may not be correct everywhere but it is in California. If an item
    is defective "out of the box" the merchant must take it back.

    If the merchant didn't normally take returns, this would probable be a
    case where the merchant _would_ make you demonstrate the defect, because
    the merchant doesn't depend on a liberal return policy to compete for
    business.

    Ernie Klein, Jan 15, 2006
  12. Racer X

    Rod Speed Guest

    Not just california. I'm not aware of anywhere in the entire
    modern first world where the law doesnt require that
    goods that have never worked properly cant be returned.
    Its the reverse, they have to demonstrate that the goods arent defective.

    Rod Speed, Jan 15, 2006
  13. Racer X

    Ron Hunter Guest

    The restroom location was HIS idea. Surely the manager had an
    office.... And it shouldn't take 20 minutes, but it is not me that is
    looking foolish here. Calling a company 'evil' because they follow good
    business practice looks foolish.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 15, 2006
  14. Racer X

    Ron Hunter Guest

    NO, I see you snipped your reference to the persons you insulted. There
    is certainly an 'in your face' attitude here, and people who work with
    the public pick up on that quickly, and it can render them less
    pleasant to deal with. Perhaps if you would think of them as ladies,
    rather than 'bitches' then your problems would go away.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 15, 2006
  15. Racer X

    Ron Hunter Guest

    You make the mistake of thinking that your experience is always the
    determining factor in choice of a store. It is not, for me, I make my
    own evaluations. If you have a problem with a store, don't go back
    there. Your choice. But don't conclude that your experience will be
    repeated at another store by another customer, because that isn't
    rational. Feel free to describe your own experience, but don't conclude
    that the experience is universal.

    BTW, Best Buy has NEVER interrupted my dinner with a phone call, and I
    AM on the 'do not call' list....

    Ron Hunter, Jan 15, 2006
  16. Racer X

    Bill Funk Guest

    I've never seen that as law anywhere.
    If the store has a policy that they will only accept returns without a
    stocking fee if the item is defective, it's up to the customer to
    demonstrate a defect if he wants to have the item returned.
    The customer can't just make a claim the item is defective, then shift
    the burdon to the store to prove it isn't. He must be able to
    demonstrate the defect.

    Bill Funk, Jan 15, 2006
  17. Racer X

    Bill Funk Guest

    Fry's Electronics has much the same polity.
    Obviously, if no such demonstration is necessary, the customer doesn't
    need to make the demonstration.
    But that's not what's being discussed.
    Bad assumption today.
    Retailers are very much aware of those who want a free loan over the
    holidays, for example, or just for a vacation.
    *IF* the manufacturer has the same liberal policies as the retailer,
    that can be done.
    And, we aren't discussing just returning an item for an exact
    replacement; the original situation was about returning an item for
    refund, which changes things.
    Good for you. Don't confuse those experiences with an idea that that
    is a universal trait among retailers, even within the same chain.
    Obviously not.

    Bill Funk, Jan 15, 2006
  18. Racer X

    Bill Funk Guest

    20 minutes was the *entire* time involved, including waiting in line.
    Not unreasonable, IMO.
    The restroom tging was, IMO, a case of being unprepared; I would have
    had a recorded tape with me when I walked in, and saved some time.

    Bill Funk, Jan 15, 2006
  19. A tape? You're kidding, Bill? I have been reading this thread with total
    amazement. If I take something back to any merchant and they can't accept
    my word for describing a defect and give me the same exact replacement model
    they simply don't want my future business. Ordering on-line seems the only
    way to do business these days. I first research my purchase and then the
    merchant I might be doing business with. I get my item much cheaper than I
    can locally and for some magical reason it's always factory sealed and
    rarely if ever do I find it to be defective.

    The great thing about buying on-line is it gives the consumer a higher
    degree of protection (Card Not Present transaction) against all these petty
    games some merchants seem to enjoy playing. And it's an extra layer of
    aggravation to consumers that want to "rent" an item since return shipping
    is a nuisance.

    Rita

    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Jan 15, 2006
  20. Right, but the OP did not want replacement, he wanted money back. He may be
    honest, but not all people are.

    Edwin Pawlowski, Jan 15, 2006