    sealed, though I'll also need a copy to actually watch. I live in the NYC
    area, so if there's a small DVD store where you actually saw one of these
    discs lying around...

    Charles C. Shyu, Jul 11, 2005

  2. Since Salo is only rated 6.1, if you're going by that, why do you care
    then? The fact that you so hungrily want it even though you've never
    heard of it and it only rates 6.1 answers your own question as to why
    it's so expensive.

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Jul 11, 2005

  3. Charles C. Shyu

    Simon Howson Guest

    The hilarious thing about The 400 Blows being so expensive is that it is
    actually an inferior version to the one in the Criterion Antoine Doinel
    boxed set. It lacks many of the extras, including commentary that is on
    the boxed set version. See here:
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/Reviews/400_blows.htm

    People actually pay more money for a worse DVD. I'm happy owning the
    whole set including the re-mastered version, rather than owning the out
    of print version that has been improperly transfered - the frame has a
    bit too much anamorphic compression that hasn't been unsqueezed properly.

    Simon Howson

    Simon Howson, Jul 11, 2005
  4. I have no idea why THE 400 BLOWS continues to sell for high prices. Not only was
    it released by Fox Lorber when Criterion lost the rights to it, but when
    Criterion regained the rights, then reissued it in a better edition as part of a
    boxed set of all of Truffaut's Antoine Doinel films.

    With SALO, it's simply a notorious film that has had no other DVD release except
    for a reportedly inferior Region 2 issue from the BFI.
    As far as I know, these weren't significantly underpressed compared to their
    other releases of the time.
    Undoubtedly a bit of both.

    -- jayembee

    Hannibal Fortune, Jul 11, 2005
  5. Charles C. Shyu

    Phillip S. Guest

    As you note, demand exceeds supply.
    No, but Salo went OOP very quickly.
    eBay prices can be somewhat goofy. Some sellers are taking advantage of the
    fact that some buyers are unaware of the "actual value" of the products.
    (And, some sellers are selling products at well below the going rates
    elsewhere.)
    Of course it is. If you want the entire Criterion Collection series, you
    have to buy the "rare" discs, including the first pressing of "Seven
    Samurai".

    Beware: Salo is widely available as a counterfeit of the Criterion release.
    Find someone somewhere who doesn't know what they've got. I bought mine
    from a woman who was selling off her deadbeat ex-husband's DVD collection.
    Cheap.
    You don't need to watch Salo. Save your money for the second copy and buy a
    few dozen good DVDs.

    Phillip S., Jul 11, 2005
  6. Charles C. Shyu

    RR Guest

    I am no prude by even the remotest stretch of imgination, but "Salo" is
    easily the filthiest, nastiest, most disgusting film I've ever sat through.
    Why I even finished it is beyond me, but I suppose it's a testament to
    Pasolini that I did.

    Anyone willing to pay $500 for it deserves to get bilked out of their money.

    --
    RR

    "It's been my experience that every
    time I think I know 'where it's at,'
    it's really somewhere else."
    - William Holden - S.O.B.

    RR, Jul 14, 2005
  7. Charles C. Shyu

    Draven Guest

    Especially when it's available uncut on Region 2.

    Draven, Jul 16, 2005