Expansion of the Sun X-Terminal Mod

Discussion in 'Case Modding' started by bigal, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Say what?

    I read a review that liked it quite a bit (see below).  Please post a link to that review you read.  The harmonic distortion rating isn't bad (something like 0.3%), so I'm surprised they think it muddles up the sound fidelity.  I wasn't using very good speakers, but I wouldn't say it has a negative impact.
    Check out this review:  http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=355
    "Conclusion:
    Well, after listening to music with this device for some weeks, I am certainly amazed.
    This unit really gives a warm feeling to the sound, no matter what genre I play; it just has the right touch. It reminds me of my dad playing his LP's on his stereo, only the crackling needle sound isn't there. (luckily)
    You get a nice bass, combined with no sharp voices. Just like the spread sheet said, a harmonic feeling indeed. This thing does exactly what it is supposed to do.
    As great it is for music listening, less attractive it is for gaming purposes. I tried to play Formula 1 and Battlefield 2 with the Musketeer filtering the sound. I like the explosions from Battlefield 2 with a dark bass, but in Formula 1 the screaming sound of the engine going in high RPM really bothered me. It just wasn't natural anymore.
    The only negative point is the headphone output on the front. Sometimes I wished it would have had a bigger volume signal. Good sound does have a price I guess.
    I would have liked to share some audio samples from the Musketeer 3 in action, but after struggling several days to get the filtered sound on my computer, I gave up as the recorded samples did not sound filtered.
    So, if you're an audiophile looking for great sound for your personal computer, think about getting this front panel. It's easy to install, gives your case a nice gimmick to look at and your sound quality is superb!"

    bigal, Nov 9, 2005

  2. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    there u go ross another thing to add to ur computer for when u put it in your room :D

    unholy, Nov 9, 2005

  3. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Yeah, I'll look into it. In 2 years time :(

    XhArD, Nov 9, 2005
  4. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    The Modfather, Nov 9, 2005
  5. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    ...er....no see.....

    I don't think so senor. I see nothing about the Musketeer III either in the Maximum PC magazines (I have them all) or on their web site. You must have been thinking about their article concerning the demise of the Intel Pentium IV. Long live AMD!!!

    bigal, Nov 10, 2005
  6. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    No, if it wasn't in the latest MPC then it was in the latest issue of CPU. But it's in one of them. I thought for sure it was in MPC because I only just got the CPU mag a couple of days back. You sure you've got the latest one?

    The Modfather, Nov 10, 2005
  7. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have all the latest issues...

    ..I don't see it in CPU magazine either (Nov 2005).  I'll keep looking, but you have to also.   :eek:
    Also, here is another picture of the Cooer Master Musketeer III / I combo, this time with the external case in the middle of the other two external cases that form the Sun stack:
    [​IMG]

    bigal, Nov 11, 2005
  8. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well it sure LOOKS sweet, no denying it. And I love the idea of using the Suns for it. I just mean that the review seemed bad. Oh and it was December, not November. So it's probably not in your hands yet. Don't know why they don't get all their mags out to subscribers at the same time. I'm still not sure if it was MPC or CPU but I'm pretty sure it was MPC. I'll try to remember to check when I go upstairs this morning. Left both the mags in the bathroom. :)

    The Modfather, Nov 11, 2005
  9. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    now i know why people have mag's in there bathroom, (not talking about the p0rn magz)
    Sick stacker Al :D

    unholy, Nov 12, 2005
  10. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeah, it was CPU, I was wrong, December issue, right hand side, bottom of the page, if you didn't get the issue yet you will I suppose. The dude really doesn't like the M3 at all. Aside from its appearance, which I agree is neat. But you can't expect a cheap bay device to really do that much. I mean if you wanted to simulate a tube amp and have it sound good, you're not going to do it for under $500 or so.
    Now if you'd like to get real tube amp sound, I've got a pair of Dynaco Mk III's here, and a pair of Esoteric Audio Research tube amps as well. I'd have to check with my pop or look in the Orion price guide for the right price but if yer interested. :)

    The Modfather, Nov 12, 2005
  11. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've never owned tube amplifiers....

    .....but I really don't spend much time listening to my main stereo in the family room either. I listen to most music in the car or in the bathroom (I take baths to soak my wrist each morning). I also listen in the basement, but there I have a transistor amp (well, a receiver) and four Radio Shack Miminus -7 speakers (small 2-ways in the metal enclosures).
    I know tube amps are supposed to sound smooth, but they also lack high power levels per channel too. You need to spend big bucks on mono amps to get the power, not that I need the power though.
    So, I'll pass on the tube amps, but thanks for the offer.

    bigal, Nov 12, 2005
  12. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well these ARE Mono amps, and they're some of the best you can get. I didn't mean it seriously though, I was just kidding about that. I know my pop has those in the inventory over there but I didn't think you'd be interested. I was just saying if you wanted to get a tube amp sound you'd need to spend the bucks on the real thing. You'll never get it from that Musketeer.
    The problem is that you wind up with all the bad things about tube amps and none of the good things. Rather than getting the warmth of tubes you just get mud. At least that's what the reviewer said. And I can't imagine that for that price you could even imagine getting something serious out of it. It's just for looks. If I bought it, I'd not hook it up, I'd just use it for the looks.

    The Modfather, Nov 13, 2005
  13. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Got the CPU December issue yesterday...

    ...and I see the review you're talking about. Obviously, that reviewer did a better job measuring the performance from the device. I agree with his analysis.
    It sounds ok to me, using my cheap speakers with this system. Perhaps I would think differently using the Klipsch speakers (I have 3 sets). All I really hear from my Sun X-Terminal mod is the sound effects during startup and basic windows sound clips. No big deal. It does look pretty cool though. :p
    Update:
    It turns out that the November 2005 issue of Custom PC magazine (http://www.custompc.co.uk) has reviewed the Cooler Master Musketeer 3 also. They give it their highest rating (five arrows). It's not shown on their site yet (in the reviews), but it appears on page 72 in the "Custom Kit" section. If you can find the magazine in your bookstore, check it out.

    bigal, Nov 13, 2005
  14. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'd have to hit the local Tower Records, they sometimes have mags from overseas. That's odd though, two mags giving exact opposite reviews of the thing. Honestly though I'd have to go with CPU's review based on knowledge of audio equipment. There's just no way something like that can do a good job for that kind of price. Heck I can't see how they could make a device to do the job right that'd fit in a 5.25 bay and not cost over a grand. It's just not feasable. But for the looks of it, I'd give it 5 stars for that much, it sure looks cool.

    The Modfather, Nov 14, 2005
  15. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Well Boys, I finished the Sun X-Terminal keyboard mod. Gone is the electroluminscent wire "AMD" sign, and in it's place is the "Big Al's Computers" logo!

    [​IMG][​IMG]

    [​IMG][​IMG]

    [​IMG][​IMG]

    Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
    bigal, Apr 15, 2006
  16. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hmm, I'd throw another CCFL in the bottom there Al. And can it be moved off of the etch a bit? Kind of looks a bit off with it showing at the top like that if you get my meaning. Or maybe the answer is to not use CCFL's at all, switch to LED's, they'd probably make the etch pop more, whatcha think? Anyway it looks awesome no matter what ya do. Hypercore is real good and yer boy has some serious artistic talent! Tell 'em I said so!

    The Modfather, Apr 15, 2006
  17. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Actually, there isn't room at the bottom for another cold cathode. On top of that, it wouldn't provide much more effect, since the etching is in the top half of the window. I think I might need to tape off the top vent ports, where you see the higher brightness. It actually looks pretty good in person.

    I'll tell Tom you think highly of his artwork. Your projects show off your artistic talent too.

    bigal, Apr 15, 2006
  18. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    The Modfather, Apr 16, 2006
  19. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That lighting controller looks pretty good. Have you ordered from Circotech before? How bad is the shipping cost?

    Regarding the LED suggestion, that might work. I have room on both sides of the window, so I could tape in LEDs, maybe two on each side. There is another benefit of the cold cathode light - besides the yellow color that I wanted. If I place that "Sun X-terminal" sign on top of the keyboard, it's illuminated by the yellow light real nice. I'm wondering if it would be a fire hazard though.

    [​IMG][​IMG]

    Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
    bigal, Apr 16, 2006
  20. bigal