    (Please remove "NOSPAM.")

    -- There are two types of computer users;
    Those that have lost data, and those who are about to.

    Michael Patten, Jun 10, 2004

  2. Michael Patten

    Guest Guest

    In my last position I bet I spent 50% of my time trying to solve issues like this. When I realized that it was wasting my time and that the application worked and there was no real issue, I stopped wasting my time and the companys time solving these "lazy" issues.

    If you are talking about folders they have created just expand them and close outlook. It should "remember" your settings. If you are talking about the Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks folder the user is indeed wasting your time.

    Once you find a solution check back with the user in a week or so and see if they still have all the folders expanded. I bet you money that they won't be. Users love to waste IT personnels time by solving meaningless issues.

    Guest, Jun 12, 2004

  3. From what I have been advised both in response to my post and my contact
    within Microsoft, Outlook does not have this feature, and will remember
    which folders were expanded when closing.

    To have all expanded when entering, you need to expand all before exiting !

    --
    Regards,
    Michael Patten

    DipIT, MCSE, CLS

    Accenture Internal Technology Services
    ________________________________
    PH: +61 2 9005 5368
    E-Mail :
    (Please remove "NOSPAM.")

    Remember - There are 2 types of users;

    Michael Patten, Jun 23, 2004
  4. Michael Patten

    Helen Tasky Guest

    The purpose of folders is to hold contents..what they are asking is
    defeating the purpose of having them in the first place.

    Helen Tasky, Jul 5, 2004
  5. Michael Patten

    sportbikerr1

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Actually most of these replys do not solve the problem or address the issue. Having the folders expanded is not defeating the purpose. The problem with the folders I see is the following.

    1) Unread email that is in a subfolder of a collapsed folder gives you absolutely no indication that there is email there. You have to have the folder visible to get the bold indication:
    Example:
    Inbox
    |_folder1
    ...|_folder2 << HAS new mail and is bold

    if however you had the inbox or folder one collapsed all you see is:
    Inbox
    |+folder1 << Not bold just normal even though subfolder has unread mail.

    2) Collapsing a folder will set ALL subfolders to the collapse state. The code should remember the state they were when you collapsed the root one instead it collapses all. So in the above scenario I "Accidently" collapse Inbox. Now when I see I did that (note there is other ways to get the inbox collapsed) and I decide to uncollapse it, I need to go through all sub folders and expand them. This gets Extreamely annoying when you need to recurse down.

    ... So for me a HELPFULL responce to this thread would be: Is there any way to find out if an email is unread in collapsed folders or Expand all the folders all the time.

    sportbikerr1, Jan 14, 2010
  6. Michael Patten

    turtledave

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Expand Folders/ Outlook

    Not sure if you have an answer yet, and not sure if this works in Outlook 2003. In Outlook 2007, you can hit the asterick key on the numeric keypad once to open the currently selected folder, twice to expand all...

    turtledave, Apr 15, 2010
  7. Michael Patten

    Dazz

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    If you click on inbox area then do numlock and * this should expand all folders and sub folders. Then you can search hitting letter of the folder you want this will step through all folders that begin with that letter. This is still a pain, but will search down through subfolders

    cheers
    Dazz

    Dazz, Dec 3, 2010
  8. Michael Patten

    jimdwest

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Outlook folders and problems

    This shows the reasons that no computer user wants to see an IT person show up. They believe they know all there is to know, and the user knows nothing. Not only do IT people believe they are all-knowing about computers, they also believe they know better than the users, as to what they need and how they should do it.

    IT should answer the questions and go on about their business. It is not their place to tell the user how to perform their jobs.

    I've been around IT since personal computers first appeared. Their big deal back then was to always tell you to "fan" the paper before you load the printer. And since it came from them, it came from God.

    IT believes they run the show, and unfortunately, most supervisors let them.

    jimdwest, Sep 16, 2011
  9. Michael Patten

    Kayaem

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks to turtledave. I have Outlook 2003. I highlighted the mailbox I wanted to expand and hit the asterik on the numeric keypad. Once opened the first level ... I had to hit it about three or four times to open up all subfolders and subfolders within those subfolders. It worked perfectly. Thanks so much as you just made my managing multiple mailboxes easier!!

    Kayaem, Sep 27, 2011