EXIF problem: Raw Shooter vs. Picture Project

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steve, Feb 26, 2008.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Does anyone know why this would happen... If I open a Nikon .NEF file
    with RawShooter essentials 2006, do some stuff to it, export it as a
    ..jpg and then import that .jpg into PictureProject 1.7.5, the EXIF
    data isn't there.

    The .jpg file that RawShooter outputs does have the EXIF data because
    I can see it with several other programs. But PictureProject can't
    read it. And not only can't PictureProject read the EXIF data, but it
    removes the data from the file if you make any adjustments to the
    image. The EXIF isn't in any files you export from PictureProject
    either. After PictureProject gets its hands on it, there's no more
    EXIF data for anything to read.

    But here's the strange thing: If I take the .jpg output by RawShooter
    and open it with PaintShopPro 9, do some stuff to it (or not), save it
    to a new file and then open that new file with PictureProject, the
    EXIF is read in fine by PictureProject. PictureProject also reads
    EXIF from several other programs just fine. But not from RawShooter
    essentials 2006.

    I thought EXIF was a standard that's well defined enough that I
    shouldn't have problems like that. I wonder which program is at
    fault? They both work with all the other programs I have, just not
    with eachother.

    Steve

    Steve, Feb 26, 2008

  2. Steve

    Guest Guest

    dump the exif with exiftool:

    <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>

    and see what info exists after processing with the various programs.

    Guest, Feb 26, 2008

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    I installed Nikon View 6.2.7 and ViewNX 1.0.3 and neither of them can
    read the EXIF data output by RawShooter essentials 2006 either. But
    PaintShopPro 9, IrfanView, Microsoft Photo Info, Nero Photosnap, and
    Corel Photo Album 6 all have no problem with the RawShooter EXIF data.

    I wonder if Nikon purposefully ignores the EXIF data from it's free
    competition to Capture NX? Strange. BTW, I'm using RawShooter
    essential 2006 ver 1.2.0 build 68. I know Adobe took over RawShooter
    but does anyone know of a newer version that might fix this?

    Steve

    Steve, Feb 26, 2008
  4. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Just like all the other programs except for the three Nikon ones,
    exiftool has no problem reading the EXIF output from RawShooter.

    So that's PaintShopPro 9, IrfanView, Microsoft Photo Info, Nero
    Photosnap, Corel Photo Album 6 and exiftool can all read the EXIF data
    in a jpg file output by RawShooter essentials when converting from a
    Nikon NEF. But Nikon PictureProject 1.7.5, Nikon View 6.2.7 and Nikon
    ViewNX 1.0.3 can not.

    Steve

    Steve, Feb 26, 2008
  5. Steve

    me Guest

    In fact I've found PSCS2 can't read some of the exif (GPS data) processed
    with RSE, assuming it's still there.
    That's it.

    me, Feb 26, 2008