exif information and bulb exposures. (where did they put it?) (canon 300d)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Karl Palsson, Oct 8, 2003.

  1. Karl Palsson

    Karl Palsson Guest

    Hi,

    I've been having some issues with getting the exif info that I'm
    after. I can take bulb exposures in the order of hours, and in
    canon's FileViewer, I see the exposure as x thousand seconds, or
    whatever I had, and it all looks fine, no matter whether I'm using
    jpeg or raw.

    But when I dump the exif, in anything, either photostudio,
    breezebrowser, my own perl scripts, anything, the shutterspeed always
    comes up as 1/0 or -2^16 or something equally useless.

    Does anyone know where canon is really keeping this info? I know it
    is somewhere, but I'm not getting very far with my hex dumping and
    experiments.

    replies to karl_AT_tweak.net.au would be much appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Karl P

    Karl Palsson, Oct 8, 2003

  2. Karl Palsson

    CSM1 Guest

    "Karl Palsson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been having some issues with getting the exif info that I'm
    > after. I can take bulb exposures in the order of hours, and in
    > canon's FileViewer, I see the exposure as x thousand seconds, or
    > whatever I had, and it all looks fine, no matter whether I'm using
    > jpeg or raw.
    >
    > But when I dump the exif, in anything, either photostudio,
    > breezebrowser, my own perl scripts, anything, the shutterspeed always
    > comes up as 1/0 or -2^16 or something equally useless.
    >
    > Does anyone know where canon is really keeping this info? I know it
    > is somewhere, but I'm not getting very far with my hex dumping and
    > experiments.
    >
    > replies to karl_AT_tweak.net.au would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Karl P

    Have you tried Exifer?
    http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

    The Exif specification.
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com/Pdf/Exif_2-1.pdf

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1, Oct 8, 2003

  3. Karl Palsson

    John Russell Guest

    John Russell, Oct 9, 2003
  4. Karl Palsson

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "John Russell" <> wrote

    > I just went looking and the only download links from that page lead to
    > Tucows, where there's no Win 98-compatible version listed. Is there
    > an earlier version that does work on Win 98?

    I downloaded v 2.1.5 (build 263) from our local mirror (powerup, Brisbane
    Australia) and it works just fine on Win 98SE. Try using the same source as
    me, it might be a slightly older version than the one you got. Should be
    1,664 Kb.

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Oct 9, 2003