    consuming 99% of processor resources. This goes on for about 1 minute until
    computer is usable.

    I have seen this happen before on just XP (different computer).

    Guest, Nov 14, 2006

  2. Guest

    Nut Cracker Guest

    its probably the SYSTEM process (PID:4 in most cases) ... not sure what its
    doing, but I have seen the same thing on numerous XP systems as well.

    Nut Cracker, Nov 14, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Not sure what it's doing either... It's the system idle process...

    Guest, Nov 15, 2006
  4. Guest

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    System idle processes is *supposed* to gobble up any CPU time that is unused
    by other processes. This is completely normal behavior and nothing to be
    worried about. Pretty much, it the process that Windows assigns the CPU to
    when it has nothing else to do. (All operating systems have some "idle
    process," whether it is actually shown to you or not.)

    As for your problem, it's not uncommon to experience hangs shortly after you
    log in while applications are loading. If you think you are experiencing
    something unreasonable, you can try selectively disabling startup items and
    services with msconfig (Start -> Run "msconfig") and figure out which it is
    by process of elimination.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Nov 15, 2006
  5. Hi,
    who ever knows what a pc does starting up is a real professionel.

    But there are a lot of things to do, for example "load all the files there
    are to be used"
    (load here and there a dll or a config file or the swapfile, the unload it
    after usage and so on)
    which really bothers the cpu, which means "the cpu with the system process"
    is more or less waiting untill this stuff is done.

    At least you gave the cpu some work, actualising the chart in task manager.

    regards

    Juergen Kluth, Nov 15, 2006
  6. Guest

    Spinnacre Guest

    Watch your hard drive activity as well. You may just need more physical RAM
    causing the system to use the hard drive (paging file). If you are low on
    physical RAM, your system may lag dramatically on startup (indicated by the
    HDD LED being solidly lit for long periods) even though the CPU is nearly
    idle. This is not the likely culprit if you have more than 512MB, but one of
    my laptops with 512MB runs out of RAM during startup and causes significant
    lag. Good luck.

    ~Spinnacre

    Spinnacre, Nov 15, 2006
  7. What would be the cause of this?
    Some process might be waiting for *something* to happen before completing
    the bootup process and just sits there until it times out. Unattached
    device? Unavailable network connection? Who knows...when I cold boot my XP
    x64 machine, if I let it sit at the login prompt, it'll stay there seemingly
    doing nothing for a minute or two, then there's a sudden flurry of hard disk
    activity--drive light stays on--for the next minute or so. If I try to
    login any time before that's done, it takes forever to get to my desktop.
    I've taken the habit of walking away from the PC after I boot it up and let
    it sit at the login screen.

    In my case, the event log doesn't yield any real clues...

    Homer J. Simpson, Nov 17, 2006