    duplicates?

    Any help appreciated. Thanks.

    Phil B.

    Phil, Mar 26, 2005

  2. Phil

    Dave Lear Guest

    in message
    Well, I have to admit that having more than 500 fonts installed is rather a
    lot. Heck, I've got WinXP, Office 2003 Professional, Visio 2003 and
    FrontPage 2003 installed and my workstation still has "only" 378 fonts. What
    have you been installing that puts that many fonts on? Anyway...

    Assuming Windows XP (because you didn't say what version of Windows you're
    using)

    Start

    Control Panel

    Fonts

    From the View menu choose List Fonts By Similarity

    You can then choose a particular font from the drop-down menu and you'll be
    show which other installed fonts are similar to the one you've picked. You
    can then make a choice regarding which of the similar ones you want to
    delete.

    Dave Lear, Mar 26, 2005

  3. Phil

    Dr. Bill Guest

    Fontlister: http://www.theill.com/fl/

    Dr. Bill, Mar 26, 2005
  4. Phil

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Mar 26, 2005
  5. Phil

    chuckie® Guest

    Something that I do, regularly, is view the list of fonts and remove the
    obvious duplicates and 'useless' fonts. By useless, I am referring to
    something like: Arial, Arial Bold, Arial Italic, Arial Bold Italic. When
    using most programs, you have the option of bold, italic, and/or bold
    italic, therefore, I remove them, leaving only Arial in the font list. This
    is very time consuming, however, it will cut down the font list by a goodly
    number...luck...

    chuckie®, Mar 27, 2005
  6. Only do this if you don't know or particularly care what the outcome
    looks like. A simulated bold Arial (Helvetica to old school typesetters)
    is the normal Arial with a few pixels added around each character. A
    true Arial Bold font is drawn differently. Admittedly, it's not a huge
    difference but if you're in the design/graphics industry you'd better
    know something this basic.

    A good solution for the OP would be to use a font manager and keep sets
    of fonts for use for different applications. There's lots of them,
    Google up "font manager".

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 27, 2005
  7. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Thanks to all who responded to my post. I am going thru the process of
    deleting some fonts by copying to another folder the fonts I want to delete
    prior to deleting. I have them available if needed by XP or some
    application.

    Again, thanks for the help.

    Phil B.

    Phil, Mar 28, 2005
  8. Phil

    drolex

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Font Soap - font cleaner, font list restorer

    I had the problem of too many fonts myself. I searched around, but no one had a good solution to delete thousands of fonts all at once without deleting default and common fonts. So, I developed this program called Font Soap with the C# language. You just open Font Soap and click the button and it cleans your installed fonts by deleting nonstandard fonts. Of course, you can backup all the fonts beforehand if you are cautious about my program. It was designed for Windows XP, so it thinks the fonts are in C:\WINDOWS\Fonts. If your fonts are located somewhere else, let me know and I'll edit the program for you. I will send Font Soap to you after you send just $5 to my verified PayPal account: [email protected] . net
    See the link below for a demonstration image of the program.
    drolex.net/fontsoap/FontSoap_HowTo.jpg

    Thanks,
    David

    drolex, Feb 5, 2009