Excellent and safe web archive of all your digital pictures - FREE !

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dealfinder, Jun 24, 2005.

  1. dealfinder

    dealfinder Guest

    AOL Pictures Redesigned (http://pictures-beta.aol.com ) now in beta
    offers excellent and safe archive of all your digital pictures. All you
    need to do is signup for a Free AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) account or
    use the one if you already are a aim member. The main features that i
    use it for is

    1) unlimited upload of images of different formats - no size limits
    2) Download all the images that you uploaded in their fullest
    resolution (no other website offers this)
    3) All images are private to you until you share the album with your
    friends thru sharing feature and even then, only your friends can view
    the album - so very good privacy.

    Give it a try.

    To get a free AIM account - type in below url
    http://https//my.screenname.aol.com...oded=true〈=en&locale=us&createSn=1&mcAuth=/Bc

    dealfinder, Jun 24, 2005

  2. dealfinder

    Bill Funk Guest

    What guarantee do you offer?

    Bill Funk, Jun 24, 2005

  3. dealfinder

    Chris D Guest

    'beta' and 'safe' are mutually exclusive. 'beta' by definition,
    is NOT safe. http://dict.die.net/beta software/ (OK, so it's
    not exactly an official reference, but anyone who considers
    'beta' to mean safe is a fool.)

    -Chris D

    Chris D, Jun 24, 2005
  4. dealfinder

    dealfinder Guest

    I think any big website like yahoo, aol etc.,. do regular tape
    archiving of pictures, store them in redundant places etc.,. They know
    that your digital images are very important. The main thing is that you
    upload your images, you can download them back in full resolution at
    aol pictures. Do you know of any other free site that provides this
    valueble feature ?

    dealfinder, Jun 24, 2005
  5. dealfinder

    Paul Rubin Guest

    If you just want backup and don't need public web access, the simplest
    thing is just email yourself the files at a gmail or yahoo mail
    account. If you want privacy, encrypt the files before emailing
    (www.gnupg.org).

    Paul Rubin, Jun 24, 2005
  6. dealfinder

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Both of you neglect the issue of slow upload speeds than many if not most
    of us have with today's mainly asymmetrical connections to our ISPs. For
    many folks there may also be a limit on the outgoing message size through
    their ISp's mail server. IMO, both of these concepts for backup are brain
    dead. I use CD/DVD for one level od archive, keeping a copy offsite updated
    at intervals and an external USB2 drive synchronized daily for daily/quick
    backup. The cost is pretty cheap these days and it keeps you in total
    control.

    Ed Ruf, Jun 24, 2005