Example config for 831 behind ISP router

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Erwin Drager, Apr 15, 2005.

  1. Erwin Drager

    Erwin Drager Guest

    Hello,

    I need to install a Cisco 831 ethernet router behind an Alcatel VOIP
    router. Because of ISP restrictions on the VOIP part, I have to use
    the Alcatel box, and need to place the Cisco behind that to enable use
    of VPN connections. (currently we use a Cisco 836 with built in ADSL
    modem).

    We have been trying to get this to work in a test environment, but
    until now to no avail.

    A short layout of what we need:

    Internet

    Public interface with public IP
    Alcatel VOIP Router
    LAN interface (192.168.1.1)

    E1 interface (192.168.1.254)
    Cisco 831
    E0 interface (10.0.1.254)

    LAN

    Using this setup, without having set any restrictions on traffic, we
    are unable to ping beyond the LAN interface of the Alcatel coming from
    the Internet side (using a lab so not actual internet), and not beyond
    the E1 interface coming from the LAN.

    Does anyone have a sample config of a setup like this i could take a
    look at?

    Thanks in advance,

    Erwin Drager

    Erwin Drager, Apr 15, 2005

  2. Erwin Drager

    sam Guest

    You can take a look at a cisco 2611 router configuration that i use
    (see my different last posts). The situation where i use it is
    similary as yours.
    Good luck
    Sam

    sam, Apr 15, 2005

  3. Erwin Drager

    Chris Guest

    So does the Alcatel have a route to the 10.x.x.x network?

    Chris.

    Chris, Apr 15, 2005
  4. Erwin Drager

    Erwin Drager Guest

    Thanks Sam, will take a look at your config.

    Erwin Drager, Apr 18, 2005
  5. Erwin Drager

    sam Guest

    Notice that i have a problem with that config : when the isp change
    the Internet IP (by dhcp) , the c2611 does'nt see the changement (and
    the connectivity to internet is lost). And i don't know how to solve
    the problem ... (see my post IP address by dhcp on a cisco2611... I
    hope you don't have this pb)

    sam, Apr 18, 2005
  6. Erwin Drager

    Erwin Drager Guest

    It didnt, and that was part of the solution!

    I was finally able to solve everything but one issue today (more about
    that in a new post ;-)

    Erwin

    Erwin Drager, Apr 21, 2005
  7. Erwin Drager

    Erwin Drager Guest

    We dont have that problem since our ISP assigns fixed IP adresses :)

    Erwin

    Erwin Drager, Apr 21, 2005