    When I took the exam there wasn't anything about retiring exams much less losing MCP status because
    an exam was retired.

    Is this correct -- that you lose MCP status when the exam it was based on is retired?

    Stewart Berman, Jul 15, 2009

  2. Stewart Berman

    John R Guest

    I don't believe that is entirely correct for all exams, however it may be
    true for some of the very old NT 4.0 exams, and it may be based on when you
    actually took the exam. Which exam was it and when did you pass it?

    You could always contact your RSC and discuss it with them. They
    "supposedly" are the experts. Have your "existing" MCP ID and any test
    information on hand when you call...
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/help/assisted-support.aspx

    John R

    John R, Jul 16, 2009

  3. I don't believe that is entirely correct for all exams, however it may be
    It was in the begriming of time -- or at least the begriming of the exams and MCPs. Actually, I
    think I still have MCP status -- that is the right to say I am an MCP in a particular area -- I just
    don't have access to the MCP web site. I don't recall if I ever had access so I'm not sure what I
    am missing if anything.

    What I am looking for is a link to a statement from Microsoft as to the expiration of an MCP
    designation. The exam may be retired and the software no longer has Mainstream Support but it is
    still in use at a huge number of Microsoft's commercial customers.

    Stewart Berman, Jul 16, 2009
  4. Jumping in a bit late, and for what it's worth... I have certs in Windows 95
    and NT4 TCP/IP. They're still on my transcript, and while I do have newer
    exams/certs under the older "MCP" program -- those two exams do still
    qualify me as an "MCP".
    This is definitely an issue for your Regional Service Center
    or an email to
    Well, getting access under the old system basically required your MCP ID,
    which came in the mail after you completed your first exam, and online
    registration with that MCP ID.

    As far as I know, that's still all that's required, so perhaps your first
    stop should be the MCP website to see if you can register with your MCP ID.

    https://mcp.microsoft.com/mcp/default.aspx
    That would be on the publicly available Microsoft Learning site, under the
    section covering certification policies. In essence what it says is that
    =MCP= exams don't expire (that's exams under the old system).

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning

    There's an entirely new set of policies for the new MCTS/MCPD/MCITP exams
    and certs.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Jul 16, 2009
  5. This is definitely an issue for your Regional Service Center
    Their response was:
    "Our records indicate that all your exams have retired. So, you would be unable to access the MCP
    Member Site."
    Tried that --- couldn't get in.
    It is actually on the Discontinued Exams tab at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/exam-dev.aspx#tab4
    Which says:
    "Note Certifications you have earned remain valid even if qualifying exams have been retired. When
    an exam you passed is retired, your transcript retains the record of the exam and identifies the
    exam as retired."

    It appears my certification remains valid but that does not provide access to the MCP web site. So
    just being an MCP is not sufficient to access the MCP web site. You have to have an MCP based on
    currently active exams -- not retired ones. That will be a pleasant surprise to those people that
    managed to complete a certification track right before it was retired.

    Stewart Berman, Jul 16, 2009
  6. Well that's certainly a crock.

    So, yes, sometimes the RSC isn't the best place to get information.

    I'd suggest the next stop is direct to the Microsoft Learning staff in
    Redmond, or perhaps via . Also, be sure to include your
    experience with your RSC. Maybe they can arrange for some enlightenment
    exercises for the RSC staff.
    Well, while the RSC is the place to go to get *assistance* with these
    issues, the RSC is *NOT* the authoritative source for the information
    they're claiming is true.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Jul 16, 2009
  7. Stewart Berman

    hannanloveus

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2009
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    NO worry .Although the exams has retired .the mainstream supports don't expire.And you can upgrade yourself by passing other exams .

    hannanloveus, Sep 24, 2009