Exam insurance

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Darren, Dec 14, 2006.

  1. Darren

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Dec 17, 2006

  2. Darren

    PajaP Guest

    Thanks for this.

    As I wrote earlier in this thread Microsoft give a link to my local
    centre but there is no information at all at the centre's site about
    the insurance offer.

    I have emailed my local centre and Microsoft about this.
    All I received from Microsoft was an email saying I could get
    information on insurance from their site and supplied a link. The
    exact same link I had already visited (and had sent to them).
    My local centre has so far just sent an auto-reply acknowledgment.

    I am in the UK. Am I able to buy the voucher from any "participating
    provider" and then use it to take the exam at a different centre?
    If so I guess I could trawl the UK links until I find one that has the
    offer advertised and then use the voucher to take the exam at my local
    centre.

    I am not really interested in the insurance as I believe I will pass
    the 70-290 first time (I hope I have not jinxed myself here) but the
    free TechNet Plus Direct would be very welcome. I had actually been
    considering this as a cheap way of getting a server 2003 licence (and
    other software). It is a pain having to call them to activate my trial
    each time I format and reinstall (and the 120 days trial expires in a
    month or so). 10 activations should hopefully see me to the end of my
    training and possibly well beyond ;o)

    PajaP, Dec 17, 2006

  3. Thanks, Jim. This could be my salvation since none of my local
    providers seem to know anything!

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Roberts, Dec 17, 2006
  4. Darren

    PajaP Guest

    Great, you have answered my earlier question, though not intentionally
    ;)
    I now see I can buy a voucher from any provider and then use this to
    schedule an exam at my local centre.

    The link above gives $200 CAD this works out the same price of taking
    one exam here in the UK (approx £85). Just an example of rip-off
    Britain I guess.
    I have looked at all the UK links and have only found one that
    actually gives a price (some of them do not even look like training
    providers and/or Microsoft partners). Most expect you to email them
    for details. The price I have found is £120 (£141 inc vat).
    Anyone in the UK wants the link it is:
    http://www.itsgroup.org.uk/shop/microsoftexaminsurance/

    Now I wonder if I can buy the insurance voucher from a foreign (to the
    UK) site and use it to take an exam in a UK centre?
    Or is this extracting the urine?

    PajaP, Dec 17, 2006
  5. *** I do not know this for sure and plan to call CDI Monday. I would
    suggest you verify also before buying from them. Their web site SEEMS
    to indicate that you can take the voucher and use it elsewhere. ***

    Jonathan Roberts, Dec 17, 2006
  6. Darren

    PajaP Guest

    I have had a reply from a UK provider.
    Their voucher can be used to book an exam at any test centre in the UK
    only. I am assuming it works this way in other countries, meaning I
    cannot use a voucher from another country to take an exam in the UK.

    They also say "The first 10,000 Exam Insurance purchasers who take an
    exam prior to January 31, 2007, will receive a free TechNet Plus
    Direct subscription".

    It takes about 4-6 weeks from completion of the exam for the TechNet
    Plus Direct subscription to begin.

    I have ordered the voucher off them via their on-line store.
    Had a confirmation the order went through OK and am now awaiting the
    voucher code.

    I have cancelled my 70-290 exam scheduled for 4th January and will
    rebook it when I get the voucher. I hope this does not take too long
    as my local centre has only a few places left for the first 2-weeks in
    January.

    PajaP, Dec 17, 2006
  7. Darren

    TurkReno Guest

    www.faulknerstate.edu

    TurkReno, Dec 17, 2006
  8. Darren

    TurkReno Guest

    TurkReno, Dec 17, 2006
  9. Darren

    LRM Guest

    You're a keeper.

    LRM, Dec 17, 2006
  10. Darren

    CertGuard Guest

    We've all known that.

    CertGuard, Dec 17, 2006
  11. Darren

    LRM Guest

    I believe, some of us change personalities as often as my teenage daughter
    changes boyfriends.

    LRM, Dec 18, 2006
  12. Darren

    PajaP Guest

    And still waiting for the voucher!
    Email from them yesterday apologising and saying it would be with me
    by 5:30pm today. It is now 6:45pm.

    I do NOT recommend ITS Feda Ltd.

    PajaP, Dec 20, 2006
  13. More proof that the exam insurance program is a sad mess.

    Jonathan Roberts, Dec 21, 2006
  14. Darren

    PajaP Guest

    Voucher received by email this afternoon.

    Exam booked in at my local centre on Tuesday 16 Jan 2007.
    A bit later than I had hoped to take it but gives me time to recover
    from holiday celebrations and is still within the Jan-31 cutoff period
    for qualifying for the free TechNet Plus Express subscription.

    PajaP, Dec 21, 2006
  15. Darren

    PajaP Guest

    Well I have passed the 70-290 exam and have claimed my 25% off voucher
    for the next exam.
    Now I just need to find out how I get the free TechNet Plus Direct
    subscription.
    I did register with Microsoft but have heard nothing about it from
    them.
    Anyone else done this and know if I need to contact Microsoft or
    anything else about the process?

    PajaP, Jan 17, 2007
  16. Darren

    catwalker63 Guest

    Is this your first exam??

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    catwalker63, Jan 17, 2007
  17. Darren

    PajaP Guest

    No, I already have mcp status.
    I have just looked again and have found some information I did not
    think was there before.

    "You will receive a separate e-mail message after taking your first
    exam using Exam Insurance with instructions on how to activate your
    free TechNet Plus Direct subscription. Visit TechNet to learn more
    about TechNet Plus Direct."

    Or maybe it was and I just missed it?

    I am assuming I will receive the email as soon as the new exam shows
    on my transcript?

    PajaP, Jan 17, 2007
  18. PajaP:

    Did you ever get this email? I am wondering how this worked out for you
    as I will be in the same boat after this week.

    Thanks,

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Roberts, Jan 20, 2007
  19. Darren

    PajaP Guest

    Nothing yet and the 70-290 exam has been showing in my transcript for
    a couple of days now. If still no details from MS in next week or so I
    am going to send an email asking what happens next.

    PajaP, Jan 20, 2007
  20. Darren

    PajaP Guest

    PajaP, Jan 20, 2007