    anything at all out of them. I'm thinking of replacing them with the Exam
    Cram book. Any thoughts or tips much welcomed!

    TIA,

    Leigh Kendall, Oct 2, 2003

  2. Leigh Kendall

    Eric Engler Guest

    Exam Cram is too easy. The real tests are more challenging.

    Eric Engler, Oct 3, 2003

  3. The exam cram books just cover the objectives but they are very well
    written.
    The Wrox books are very very good for details on all facets of the books
    topic.
    I always read the MS Training Kit books in addition to other books in
    preparing for an exam.
    Tim's notes give pointers to in depth material on the exam objectives as
    well.
    Glenn
    MCSE MCDBA MCSD.NET

    Glenn D. Crosse, Oct 3, 2003
  4. After reading good third party books like Wrox, Apress, MS Press (advanced
    level), O'Reilly etc, I don't find that the MS Training Kits add much value
    outside of being exam outline. And even then, there is material in there
    that's not always covered on the exam and if it is, all the details aren't
    always covered.

    The exam crams seem to be much more focused (have only skimmed them). I'm
    thinking of using them for review of the objectives before the exams (after
    reading Wrox etc...), not learning the subject.

    Have they worked well for you in that capacity?

    Thanks...

    Leigh

    Leigh Kendall, Oct 3, 2003
  5. The Exam Cram books are very good prep.
    Exam Cram worked well for me on the MCSE. I also like the Osborne series
    and used them for several MCSD exams.
    There were no Exam Cram books published when I did the MCSD but I probably
    would have bought them if there were.
    I did read the Exam Cram for the 70-300 and it was a well written book.
    I read a MS Training kit book for every test I have taken and felt they were
    ok but very difficult to read (very boring).
    Tim's notes are great for the 70-315 and 70-316 tests. The notes were
    sketchy for the 70-300 but very much worthwhile reading as it gets you into
    the depths of some deep topics that are brushed upon on the 70-300. The
    extra depth is valuable as surface knowledge will be useless later on. I
    think one really needs to be very proficient in modeling to be a software
    architect. 70-300 is not deep enough on the modeling aspect.
    Glenn

    Glenn D. Crosse, Oct 3, 2003
  6. Thanks for the response... When you refer to "Tim", are you referring to
    the codeclinic site?

    Leigh

    Leigh Kendall, Oct 4, 2003
  7. Yes.
    I consider the codeclinic very valuable. MSDN is the best source of info
    and codeclinic gives you the pointers to the info for the test topics.
    Glenn

    Glenn D. Crosse, Oct 4, 2003