Ex-Warner Home Video boss criticises Sony over Blu-Ray tactics

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Dec 9, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=13501

    Ex-Warner Home Video boss criticises Sony over Blu-Ray tactics

    Ellie Gibson 11:04 08/12/2005

    Lieberfarb accuses Japanese giant of behaving "like Samurai"

    The former president of Warner Home Video has criticised Sony for the
    tactics it has employed in the battle of the next-gen DVD formats -
    and for dragging home entertainment companies into the console war.

    In a speech delivered at the Perspectives in European Video
    conference, Warren Lieberfarb said: "If I put Blu-Ray in PlayStation
    and I don't license it to Microsoft for Xbox and I get all the studios
    to only publish in PlayStation, I'll beat Microsoft in the
    next-generation games market."

    "We've been sucked into PlayStation versus Xbox."

    Lieberfarb went on to compare Sony's strategies to those used by
    Samurai swordsmen, stating: "If you ever read The Art of War, you will
    see all of Sony's moves, including taking all its enemies in the same
    tent and then leaving them empty-handed. These are things that they
    have done historically."

    "They did the same thing to Matsushita and Betamax, they did the same
    thing to Matsushita on compact disc, they did the same thing to
    Matsushita on the digital video camcorder," Lieberfarb continued.

    "They compete like Samurai. It isn't the way we compete in the West."

    Lieberfarb said that although it may look like Blu-Ray is set to win
    the battle of the next-gen formats, the war is not over yet.

    "Hollywood blew it. They got duped. They could have created the format
    that optimized their creative interests. It looks like we lost,
    because there are six studios supporting Blu-Ray and only three
    supporting HD-DVD. But you know, there's always surprises," Lieberfarb
    stated.

    He concluded by urging the industry to join Microsoft and Toshiba in
    supporting the HD-DVD format, telling the audience: "Convergence is
    here, everything is digital, the Internet is going to deliver video,
    you are going to want to pass information from one device to another
    and HD-DVD versus Blu-Ray is really the first battle in the issue of
    who controls the home."

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Dec 9, 2005