    that before too long some of these cameras (as per their lenses and
    image capture capability) will be almost as good as something like
    Canon EOS-1D, if I don't need the extensive lens selections?

    drs, Aug 16, 2004

  2. Wrong! Most pros like choices in lenses....so they buy cameras that have
    choices. Since that is the market the manufactures make SLRs for pros...and
    advanced amateurs. These are the same people who want the best quality
    images possible. Contrast that with the people who still prefer their old
    Sony's because writing to a floppy disc is so convenient...and the files
    look fine for them at 4x6 prints though most are just viewed on the screen.
    Manufacturers are not going to make 14mp cameras for these people. It seems
    that the manufacturers are seeing the market for amateurs to be at best in
    the 5mp range. There are lots of affordable non-slr cameras in this range.
    If I was a manufacturer I would try to make some money at this point rather
    than develop cameras for which the customers see no purpose. Maybe you could
    find a used digital back for the cameras you have now. Or shoot and develop
    slides and scan them.

    Gene Palmiter, Aug 16, 2004

  3. drs

    Ken Scharf Guest

    Your comments are correct today, but will be outdated eventually
    thanks to Morre's law. At one time point and shoot digicams
    were in the 2m pixel size, today there are 6m pixel p&s cameras
    available (at about the same price point!) As denser image sensors
    become common the smaller ones won't be made anymore and a new
    low and mid end point will be established.
    So I would expect that in 5-10 years 14m pixel cameras will be
    quite common and the ultra pro versions would top out
    at over 30m pixels. (BTW it has been said that 35mm film
    can yeild the equal of about 50m pixels under best cases...
    such as comparision with Kodachrome 25 maybe).

    Ken Scharf, Aug 16, 2004
  4. So...at what point will Moore's Law allow more megs on a small chip than on
    a large one? How does this help those think 1mp is good enough see the
    errors of their ways? If the average user cared about quality over
    convenience then we would have seen more medium format cameras rather than
    35mm.

    Gene Palmiter, Aug 17, 2004
  5. drs

    drs Guest

    Maybe what I ought to be asking you is about the likelihood of getting
    truly superb optics in non-SLR digitals. The advances in megapixels
    seems assured even though more is not necessarily better. It seems
    like optics aren't changing as fast as the circuitry but there are
    some pretty spiffy lenses out there these days and some of them might
    be placed on these cameras. Right?

    drs, Aug 17, 2004
  6. drs

    Ken Scharf Guest

    All I meant was that eventually ALL digicams would have 14mp image
    sensors. As far as the size, whatever. Of course medium format
    cameras have only be bought by those who 'needed' the quality and
    had the money to buy it. (though there was a time when few 35mm
    cameras were sold and all cameras were 'medium' format. Care
    to guess how many of those film formats are not made anymore?)
    My father bought a Rolliflex twin lens so long ago, that when
    he sold it he got a large chunck of his purchase price for it.

    Ken Scharf, Aug 19, 2004