    Ubuntu Hoary, Pan, Thunderbird and Firefox
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
    to email me remove the obvious!

    Gordon, Aug 1, 2005

  2. Gordon

    Mike Easter Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > Has anyone got Evolution to work with Gmail?

    I'm not an evolution user but I looked at some screenshots at novell and
    I didn't see anywhere to set the ports for smtp and pop. They are 465 &
    995. There is an SSL configuration option, so hopefully that would take
    care of it for you. It also requires authorization.

    What's the problem?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 1, 2005

  3. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Gordon wrote:
    > > Has anyone got Evolution to work with Gmail?

    > I'm not an evolution user but I looked at some screenshots at novell and
    > I didn't see anywhere to set the ports for smtp and pop. They are 465 &
    > 995. There is an SSL configuration option, so hopefully that would take
    > care of it for you. It also requires authorization.
    >
    > What's the problem?

    The problem is this. I've set up Gmail in Evolution using the settings from
    Gmail (as you say, there's no option to alter the port numbers. This is not
    a problem I think with POP but with SMTP). However, when I try to connect,
    the progress bar hangs right at the beginning - there is no movement at all.
    The same settings in Thunderbird produce an instantaneous (almost!) download
    of email.

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308

    Gordon, Aug 1, 2005
  4. Gordon

    Mike Easter Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> It also requires authorization.

    I meant authentication.

    > However, when I try to connect, the progress bar hangs right at the
    > beginning - there is no movement at all.

    That's one of those times you need a log function in addtion to a
    progress bar or status line. If the transactions were being logged you
    could tell what was going on when it stopped/hung. So, are we
    'assuming' that it is failing to pop? Can you send?

    That's a server that wants the account name to be the whole address, not
    just the username -- same for both, of course.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 1, 2005
  5. Gordon

    Mike Easter Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>> Has anyone got Evolution to work with Gmail?

    >> I'm not an evolution user but I looked at some screenshots at novell
    >> and I didn't see anywhere to set the ports for smtp and pop. They
    >> are 465 & 995. There is an SSL configuration option, so hopefully
    >> that would take care of it for you.

    > The problem is this. I've set up Gmail in Evolution using the
    > settings from Gmail (as you say, there's no option to alter the port
    > numbers.

    I'm reading somewhere else that if you are using an old version you have
    to feed it the ports after a colon in the name of the server, but if you
    are using a newer v. that you don't.

    For old versions:
    pop.gmail.com:995
    smtp.gmail.com:465

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 1, 2005
  6. Mike Easter wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >>Has anyone got Evolution to work with Gmail?

    > I'm not an evolution user but I looked at some screenshots at novell and
    > I didn't see anywhere to set the ports for smtp and pop. They are 465 &
    > 995. There is an SSL configuration option, so hopefully that would take
    > care of it for you.

    Indeed, selecting SSL should suffice. 465 is the standard port for
    SSMTP (SMTP over SLL) and 995 is the standard port for POP3S (POP3 over
    SMTP). It's not as if Gmail is using non-standard ports.

    John-Paul Stewart, Aug 1, 2005
  7. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 12:48:43 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Gordon wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I'm not an evolution user but I looked at some screenshots at novell
    >>> and I didn't see anywhere to set the ports for smtp and pop. They
    >>> are 465 & 995. There is an SSL configuration option, so hopefully
    >>> that would take care of it for you.

    >> The problem is this. I've set up Gmail in Evolution using the
    >> settings from Gmail (as you say, there's no option to alter the port
    >> numbers.

    > I'm reading somewhere else that if you are using an old version you have
    > to feed it the ports after a colon in the name of the server, but if you
    > are using a newer v. that you don't.
    >
    > For old versions:
    > pop.gmail.com:995
    > smtp.gmail.com:465

    That works! And I'm using the latest version (I think), 2.2.1.1

    Gordon, Aug 1, 2005
  8. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 16:13:50 -0400, John-Paul Stewart wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>
    >>>Has anyone got Evolution to work with Gmail?

    >> I'm not an evolution user but I looked at some screenshots at novell and
    >> I didn't see anywhere to set the ports for smtp and pop. They are 465 &
    >> 995. There is an SSL configuration option, so hopefully that would take
    >> care of it for you.

    > Indeed, selecting SSL should suffice. 465 is the standard port for
    > SSMTP (SMTP over SLL) and 995 is the standard port for POP3S (POP3 over
    > SMTP). It's not as if Gmail is using non-standard ports.

    There is in fact no SSL option. All it says is "Use a secure connection".
    In fact the answer as provided by Mike is to use "pop.gmail.com:995" for
    the pop server and "smtp.gmail.com:465" for the smtp server.

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Ubuntu 5.04, Pan, Firefox and Evolution

    Gordon, Aug 1, 2005
  9. Gordon

    Mike Easter Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > John-Paul Stewart wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> I'm not an evolution user but I looked at some screenshots at
    >>> novell and I didn't see anywhere to set the ports for smtp and pop.
    >>> They are 465 & 995. There is an SSL configuration option, so
    >>> hopefully that would take care of it for you.

    >> Indeed, selecting SSL should suffice. 465 is the standard port for
    >> SSMTP (SMTP over SLL) and 995 is the standard port for POP3S (POP3
    >> over SMTP). It's not as if Gmail is using non-standard ports.

    > There is in fact no SSL option.

    I tho't I saw an SSL option in the screenshot.
    http://www.novell.com/documentation/nld/evolution/graphics/evo_receive_a.png

    > All it says is "Use a secure
    > connection". In fact the answer as provided by Mike is to use
    > "pop.gmail.com:995" for the pop server and "smtp.gmail.com:465" for
    > the smtp server.

    I'm glad it's working, I wonder what's wrong with 'Security - Use a
    secure connection (SSL)'

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Aug 2, 2005