    You probably meant "On the *desktop*, Windows is the most commonly
    used OS."

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 27, 2011

  2. [Mac 1 button mice]
    Windows still comes with a cripled GUI:
    - no virtual desktops
    - no true sloppy focus
    - no decoupling between "click in a window" (e.g. to mark a
    text for copying) and "pop to the front"
    - no 'stay on top' except in specific applications
    - no 'always stay below'
    - no "ALT + hold left mouse button" to move windows while
    being anywhere inside the window
    - no 'show desktop' and 'undo show desktop' for a virtual
    desktop
    - no choice between different window managers, including choices
    for lightweight WMs for low memory, low CPU machines.

    I could go on and on. Like the ability to tune all these
    things on the fly, inkluding key and mouse buttons that
    effect these changs.

    Why does Windows do that?
    Why don't you see that the Windows GUI is critically crippled?

    Maybe you are used to it.
    Maybe you think you don't need that (and nobody else should).
    Maybe you found workarounds.
    Maybe really noone needs that (I do, so the point is moot).
    Windows users never notice much outside Windows anyway ...
    much like the English Lord returning from a trip to foreign
    countries: "Did you have problems with the language, Sir?" ---
    "No, but the natives had."

    More likely: "Your car was not designed to need a clutch pedal
    and a gear switch."
    Someone who has never seen automatic gear shift would certainly
    complain how to shift gears, then and think the car needed to
    run in the same gear all the time: "This car is *crippled*,
    you can't shift gears, doesn't nobody understand how to properly
    build a car?"
    Really? 2 buttons is crippled, you really want 3 buttons
    (e.g. select, paste, extend selection; pop to front, push to bottom
    (again something Windows cannot do), raise/lower --- and many
    other tasks) *and* a scroll wheel (for scrolling through pages,
    type buffers, virtual windows, opacity settings)

    Actually, you often want 2 more buttons: back and forward
    (also: undo and redo). E.g. for web browsing.

    And more buttons still offer more functionality.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 27, 2011

  3. Nothing.

    It's like being born blind or deaf and finally getting sight
    or hearing.

    It's being used to Windows and PCs and all it's faults (and
    expecting them as normal, just like death or taxes) and then
    finding that other systems are much less problematic.

    It's thinking you need a mouse (with at least 2 buttons!),
    it's thinking DLL hells are normal, it's thinking drivers and
    programms must all be updated individually, it's thinking drivers
    can be found on CDs and product producers' websites (instead of
    coming with your OS), it's thinking you need a for-pay program
    for nearly every task, it's thinking you don't get the source
    code for most things and certainly no compiler unless you pay
    for it, it's thinking runnable files are names .com .bat .exe,
    it's thinking CLIs must be cumbersome, powerless and slow, it's
    thinking there's only the Windows way of doing things.

    Some of the above is wrong even on Windows, most of it is true
    --- on Windows, but not elsewhere. But it represents what many
    Windows users think, often even without being able to formulate
    the thoughts.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 27, 2011
  4. Debating unix flavors in the context of anything Microsoft is like talking
    about which ice cream flavor tastes least like sawdust with turpentine sauce.
    --void, a.s.r.

    -Wolf'SCNR'gang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 27, 2011
  5. Gasoline would mean costly repairs for the car I drive daily.
    Especially if I started the engine with gasoline in the tank.
    'We' are already running gasoline cars on 5% Ethanol (bio fuel), and
    shifting to 10%.

    I can get my OSses, GUI, programs[1] for much much less, and
    legally copy them as often and to as many households and computers
    as I like.

    -Wolfgang

    [1] with very few exeptions

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 27, 2011
  6. One could argue the same is true for Microsoft office. Excel at
    times miscalculates, Word has ... fun with footnotes[1], etc.

    -Wolfgang

    [1] But then it's Word, not Sentence or Paragraph or Chapter ...

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 27, 2011
  7. [laptop]
    Most of the machines also run Linux, many of them are cheaper
    that way, too.

    In fact, the first real netbook, the one that touched off the
    "small computer with limited power for little money" (and which
    has a sunlight capable screen), doesn't run Windows in the normal
    (green) version. There has been a small pre-production run of
    the red version, which can run Windows, but that didn't take hold.
    I wonder why ...

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 27, 2011
  8. That turns out not to be the case.

    1. You can buy a system without an OS.
    2. You can buy a system with another OS and often get the whole
    package cheaper than with Windows.
    3. If you have Windows bundled with the OS, your dealer paid
    for it and added the cost to the sales price. Just because
    it's not listed as an extra cost factor doesn't mean you're
    not paying for it. To pretend otherwise is stupid --- and I
    didn't get the impression you (both of you) were stupid.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 27, 2011
  9. Unless you bought your mac used. In which case Apple didn't get
    a dime from you. Unless your needs are for absolutely up-to-date
    CPU and RAM requirements you can do well with an older computer.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 27, 2011
  10. RichA

    Guest Guest

    mac and iphone are totally different markets. one's a desktop computer
    with a mouse/keyboard, the other is a touch-based phone. certainly you
    can tell the difference. also, the iphone integrates with windows just
    as well as it does mac (via itunes), which is moving to the cloud in a
    few months anyway.
    not very, but it has many of the same restrictions that iphones do (app
    approval, single apps store) and virtually nobody complains. when apple
    does that, it's called a locked down walled garden, but when microsoft
    does it, it's no big deal.
    yes they are, as are their employees.

    the point is, a company can develop their own software and deploy it
    onto their employee's phones, without going through the apps store.
    does not matter. it only takes *one* person to install outside of the
    apps store to disprove the claim.
    does not matter. it only takes *one* person to install outside of the
    apps store to disprove the claim.
    web apps are real apps, especially with offline caching. in fact, many
    times it's difficult or impossible to tell the difference.

    Guest, Jun 27, 2011
  11. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    If your only whine is that Microsft won't kiss your butt and design
    an interface according to your narrow-minded opinions then you have no
    argument at all.

    Ray Fischer, Jun 28, 2011
  12. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Good luck with that.

    Ray Fischer, Jun 28, 2011
  13. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    I found yours, until the web site was shut down for indecency.
    The fact that you will lie aboout what people write makes you a
    stupid sleazebag with no credibility.

    Ray Fischer, Jun 28, 2011
  14. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Neil Harrington wrote:

    <edited>

    "Paint Shop Pro" has been my overwhelming favorite, since 1998. Versions
    4.12 (shareware, never expires) and 7 were very capable and intuitive
    Jasc products. They both ran quite smoothly, on my ancient, home-built
    desktop system (Pentium III 1050MHz, Windows XP Home 32-bit).

    Then, in November of 2011, I "upgraded" to "Paint Shop Pro Photo XI"
    (by Corel). While being feature-rich, it's sluggish and also somewhat
    brain-dead.

    Unlike 4.12 and 7, PSP 11 creates thumbnails at a relative snail's
    pace. Instead of placing a "pspbrwse.jbf" file, within each folder
    in question, it uses a huge database...and scans the entire hard
    drive, for >all< images!

    Although, running on newer hardware than mine, PSP 11's speed and
    overall performance might be more than adequate. Even so, it'll
    still lack Jasc's far superior ergonomics.

    John Turco, Jun 30, 2011
  15. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Very true! I've used Netscape Communicator 4.8, for over 8 years.
    To me, its e-mail and newsgroups applications are the best around,
    even today. It works fine, on my current homemade machine (Pentium
    III 1050MHz, Windows XP Home 32-bit).

    For the past three years or so, I've been planning to assemble
    a much better desktop PC. It'll feature an Intel Q6700 "Core 2
    Quad" 2.66GHz CPU, running Windows Vista "Home Premium" 64-bit.

    Plus, my eMachines "E725-4520" notebook computer (Pentium T4400
    "dual-core" 2.20GHz) came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

    Alas, Communicator 4.8 is incompatable, with Windows versions
    newer than XP. Before, I'd just assumed that the 64-bit nature
    of the E725-4520's Win7 was the issue, preventing the program
    from installing.

    John Turco, Jun 30, 2011
  16. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Bruce wrote:

    <edited>

    "Bruce" is a baleful braggart.

    John Turco, Jun 30, 2011
  17. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Indeed! "Paint Shop Pro" is still the best program of its kind,
    even after Corel's meddling.
    As Corel is Canuck...could Richard Anderson ("RichA") be one of
    its top excecutives? If so, that would explain the organization's
    incompetence.

    John Turco, Jun 30, 2011
  18. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Could you possibaly link to one, but I'm betting the chioce will be
    servelry limited
    in theory you should be able to buy a comnputer without an OS
    but why aren;t they sold like that ?
    Windows is the OS.
    Well no obviously, but there's no option on the Apple store to buy
    a computer without an OS or have an OS of your choice.
    So for me the OS is as 'free' was the keyboard and mouse that came
    with my iMac.
    Although I could choose which keyboard, I couldn;t opt for NO
    keyboard and get a discount.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 30, 2011
  19. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    The biggest thing I miss on the PC is the simple ability to screen
    capture what I want.
    On a Mac I use command-shift-4, then I can select exactly what area of
    teh screen I want to dump to a file
    or I can hit teh space bar which allows me to dump one active window.

    On a PC there's seems little choice, it ends up in the clipboard
    which I have to then open
    then use an editor, , and what about capturing moving stuff ! well QT
    in Snow leopard does that fine,
    not sure about windows.
    Of course windows might have this functionality somewhere but I can;t
    find it.
    (years of XP and 4 days using Windows 7 so far)

    So if anyone jas any pointers

    It does try to keep up by coping trh Mac OS which is how it should be
    in that OSes should learn from each others mistakes.
    At least I no longer have to hit the start button to shutdown.
    They do, maybe it's like those that keep having to push their car to
    get it started
    it becomes the norm.
    too bloody right mate, inglish is the only langauge wurf speaking
    in'it :)

    Whisky-dave, Jun 30, 2011
  20. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Is Canadian iced tea the same as Long Island iced tea?

    PeterN, Jun 30, 2011