    I haven't seen any vendors offering hardware to run the Mac OS.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 25, 2011

  2. []
    ... but not if they wanted to run Windows, FreeBSD, Linux or whatever.
    Recognise "monopoly" here?

    David J Taylor, Jun 25, 2011

  3. []
    Thanks, Alan. I expect the lawyers would make some money arguing over
    that one.
    So not for the average chap or chapess walking into the store.
    There are multiple-use offers, but I don't know the details. My most
    recent computer purchase was about US $320 and included the OS.
    Yes, I know about those programs, and people use them to run the software
    I write. You would install Windows should you need access to applications
    which run under Windows, after all, most buy the computer to run
    program/applications, and not just the OS. If you don't need those
    applications, you are free to choose what OS you like. I run a mixture of
    operating systems here. Horses for courses.

    Windows updates now can be completely automatic if you wish, so "pain to
    maintain" is not something I would agree with. Windows has chosen a
    different approach to backwards compatibility than other OSes, which has
    pleased many users.

    I might counter with "why buy more expensive hardware than you need?", but
    I know that people like to spend their money in different ways.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 25, 2011
  4. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    If he doesn't want it to do much.

    Ray Fischer, Jun 25, 2011
  5. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    I haven't seen Ford producing any Priuses.

    Ray Fischer, Jun 25, 2011
  6. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    That's the communist mentality - it costs more than you want to pay so
    it must be overpriced.

    Ray Fischer, Jun 25, 2011
  7. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    95% of the US deficit is the result of Republican policies.

    Ray Fischer, Jun 25, 2011
  8. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    No it isn't. Capitalists charge as much as they can for products and
    services. "Overpriced" only happens when you start losing profits.
    At a market capitalization of about $300,000,000,000 and quarterly
    profits of around $6,000,000,000, Apple is a very successful company.
    Their products are cleasrly not overpriced.

    You're actually whining because they charge more than YOU want to pay.
    I am sure that the shareholders, the people whose opinion actually
    does count, would strongly disagree with you.

    Ray Fischer, Jun 25, 2011
  9. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Rightards are nothing if not stupid.
    Notice that the rightard can't actually refute my statement.

    Tax cuts for the rich, expansion of Medicare, two unfunded wars, and
    deregulations of Wall Street leading to the worst recession in 70
    years, and it is ALL the doing of the GOP, and it resulted in the
    biggest deficits in US history.

    Ray Fischer, Jun 25, 2011
  10. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    And you're the one complaining.
    And you hate it.

    Ray Fischer, Jun 25, 2011
  11. While I only have half that much disk space, that's not the issue.
    Performance is. The last time I checked, on a machine with only
    minimal bloatware, the combination of Windows XP and AVG 2011
    consumed over 300MB of RAM, and that was before AVG started consuming
    memory for updates and scans.

    Then there's the problem with trying to update the AV definitions
    or OS patches while fighting everyone else in a hotel or B&B for
    bandwidth.

    AVG had a noticeable impact on system speed on that machine even
    for simple tasks such as browsing. And that's on a considerably more
    capable machine than my Dell Mini 12.

    I also think that it's somewhat telling that you're using Windows
    XP as your benchmark, given that Microsoft ended mainstream support
    of that product well over a year ago. Most ship with Windows 7
    starter or Home editions.

    I don't mean this any of this as a slam against Microsoft; Windows is a
    general purpose operating system, and for most modern machines the RAM
    footprint is no longer an issue. Even some Netbooks are coming with 4GB
    these days, but at a considerably higher price. Nor do I think Linux
    is invulnerable to Malware -- it's just not as big a target. The same
    is true for Mac OS X.
    Value is subjective, of course, and the prices and offers are
    constantly changing. I think we paid perhaps $50 more for the 17"
    model than the 15" model we were considering. As with the OS, to each
    their own.

    Prior to buying the 17" model, we had a 15.6" HP. Unfortunately, it
    fried two logic boards, because HP stuffed too hot a processor for the
    physical design.

    Mike Benveniste, Jun 26, 2011
  12. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    What a truly stupid lie. Somebody would have to have their head
    firmly planted up their ass to believe in such patent nonsense.

    Ray Fischer, Jun 26, 2011
  13. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Keep pushing the fascist lies, nazi boi. I've got numbers from the US
    government on my side while all you have is rank stupidity.

    Ray Fischer, Jun 26, 2011
  14. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Then you should be the happiest pile of shit on the planet.

    Ray Fischer, Jun 26, 2011
  15. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    "In a sense".

    There was a desktop file, and there may be files that cache
    information about file types and applications, and Unix keeps
    configuration information in a myriad of small files, but those
    are nothing like the Windows registry. No registry and you don't
    have Windows.

    Ray Fischer, Jun 26, 2011
  16. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    And yet you don't seem to be that happy.

    Ray Fischer, Jun 26, 2011
  17. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    I haven't mangled anything. You have shown that you're a little
    asshole who lies about what people write.

    Ray Fischer, Jun 26, 2011
  18. RichA

    Guest Guest

    Probably because the advertising agency concerned is using nothing but
    Macs capable of running Windows in a Bootcamp partition, or with
    Parallels, or VMFusion, and they had no intention of getting a Windows
    machine for the role of stand-in.[/QUOTE]

    that's the point i was making.

    Guest, Jun 27, 2011
  19. RichA

    Phil Guest

    What did reasonable people discuss before the advent of the "mine is
    bigger than yours" arguments in technology? Mac vs PC, nokia vs
    iphone, nikon vs canon! Is it really worth the time an effort to
    jockey for the last word in such a mindless argument? Try this adage
    on for size - to each his own. Startling concept, wouldn't you agree?

    Phil, Jun 27, 2011
  20. game box + Windows NT or Windows 2000 based OS. Superseded.
    Phone + wince^WWinCE OS. Failed.
    pure software, no OS. Failed. Was written in Lisp, btw.
    pure phone OS, (WinCE)
    pure PC OS, superseded.
    not the same ideas, completely different markets, some only
    software, some with hardware. Quite unlike Mac and iPhone
    (both software and hardware, both integrated with each other,
    both to people who want quality and are willing to pay for it,
    you get the picture).
    How large is the WinPhoey7 market?

    I note you have no URLs.
    Companies are not consumers.
    App developers are not consumers. They are a really tiny minority.
    Beta testers are not consumers, they are a really tiny minority.
    Fine (if it works) --- how about real apps?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 27, 2011