Evil Apple's patent infringement of Nokia cost them

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jun 15, 2011.

  1. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    it interests me too, but not to the expense of not doing what I want.
    We use it here Fedora here, but for some things we run XP other we run
    Mac OS
    other Vista althouhg most of that has been replaced with Windows 7

    Yes that's why I don;t want to waste my free time on windows.
    I was given a new PC apparently all set up and ready to go.
    But it won;t recognise the wireless keyboard on bootup,
    it just says no keyboard found and reboots...
    so that took me 20 mins to work out why because when I set up my Mac
    mini
    I took my old wireless keyboard from my old G5 placed it next to the
    Mac mini
    and I got prompted with do you want to pair your computer with this
    keyboard .
    How comes PC have to have a keyboard attached before they can boot
    into windows...

    After getting my old kb and mouse back and plugged in it booted fine.
    I zipped my documents folder to a 958MB file.
    Copied to my new PC but after extracting most of the files I got an
    error
    and it quite, no files left, so why doesn't the ZIP file uncompress
    without causing an error
    I've no idea. So Monday I'll get my old PC back and try copying the
    files without compressing them
    see if I can copy them over that way.
    It should be a really simple job something that's take me minutes on a
    Mac
    has delayed me hours on a PC.
    Maybe I should send my files to my iDisk, it can't be any slower can
    it ?

    It's not a windows world out there it is a very mixed world.
    Windows is what holds me up and many others it seems.

    Good for you , let me know what you find as from Monday fingers
    crossed that my files
    will be copied across one way or another eventually.
    But I'm betting you'll find new things there that Mac has had for
    years that's usually what happens.
    I don;t have any laptops as I don;t see I need one but I do understand
    others need them.
    But for those only interested in reading mail ans surfing and a bit of
    WP I'd suggest
    they look at an iPad as one possible option.
    One why of finding out is listening to others and realising that
    there's
    probbaly nothing you run that won't run on relatively new (intel) Mac
    computers.
    Not really, but if you have to spend $100 to upgrade the wife's OS
    and that's $100 for each wife or should I say wife, daughters, sons
    and pets
    well Mac only charges you $30 to upgrade everyone.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 24, 2011

  2. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    It isn't easy if you want a compact one.
    I don;t think so, people are less likely to want to build their own
    than they were.
    could you price up the cost of building something like a mac mini spec
    wise,
    no monitor or keyboard just the computer part.
    Be interesting to see just what can be built for what cost.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 24, 2011

  3. RichA

    Guest Guest

    not if you want more power than a netbook can provide. they're actually
    fairly anemic.

    Guest, Jun 24, 2011
  4. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    then eventually competitors will appear again.

    PeterN, Jun 24, 2011
  5. RichA

    Guest Guest

    that much is blatantly obvious.
    wrong. it shipped with a one button mouse, and for $3 you could
    substitute a two button with scroll wheel usb mouse. or a trackball. or
    whatever else.
    it's not crippled and macs have supported multi-button mice for about
    25 of those years. the thing is, almost nobody asked for 2 button mice
    during that time.
    actually it was not that great, and when macs did get colour it was
    much better than anything the pcs had.
    as i've said before, macs supported multiple buttons and contextual
    menus since 1986 or 87 or so, but very few users cared. why offer
    something nobody wants?

    more importantly, the os itself didn't need it, since it was not
    designed to require 2 buttons.

    only with the influx of windows users who seem to think a 2 button
    mouse is required (it isn't) did apple buckle and ship something else.
    there was no specific change to support it. the only difference is that
    apple started shipping a 4 button mouse by default.

    Guest, Jun 24, 2011
  6. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Ah! When my Toshiba laptop crashed, I brought it to an authorized repair
    place. The machine was fixed the following day, when the covered part
    arrived. For a nominal fee I got an additional plug in HD.
    BTW Toshiba is a Windows machine.

    PeterN, Jun 24, 2011
  7. RichA

    Guest Guest

    depending on what's wrong, macs will be fixed while you wait (if it's
    simple), but usually it's same or next day. if they need to order
    parts, it can be a couple of days.

    a few years ago, i dropped off a macbook for a hard drive replacement
    one morning and had it back by lunch time.

    Guest, Jun 24, 2011
  8. RichA

    Guest Guest

    that sucks. move to a more civilized country. :)

    Guest, Jun 24, 2011
  9. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Of course. It also depends on their workload at the time. My point was
    that their as nothing unique to Mac in that service experience.

    BTW my Lenovo comes with 24 hr in place, service.

    PeterN, Jun 24, 2011
  10. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    I use WordPerfect for documents and Excel and PowerPoint for their
    respective purposes. I still use Office 2003, which is compatible with
    other versions and works well for me.

    PeterN, Jun 24, 2011
  11. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    That issue is not unique to Montreal. I can get that type of service at
    Microcenter. (A small chain.)

    PeterN, Jun 24, 2011
  12. I was talking about the variety of Windows versions. Unlike OS X,
    []

    Well, no, the lower-cost versions may also use less resources, and
    therefore run on lower-spec machines. I have "starter edition" on my
    Netbook, for example. Having the choice of versions means you need only
    pay for what you need, just like when buying a camera.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 24, 2011
  13. I run Ubuntu Linux on a quasi-Netbook (a Dell Mini 12). To me, it's
    a clear win over Windows for this class of machine. Not only is a
    lighter-weight OS, but at least for now, Linux is less of a target for
    malware. Given that the thing effectively "lives" on unsecured
    networks, this allows me to use up less of those anemic resources on
    defensive software. While I can't say I enjoy using GIMP for photo
    editing, it's acceptable for a quick "edit and post online" task.

    My wife and I also own a 17" laptop running 64-bit Windows 7, but we
    only travel with it when we know one of us will be doing some serious
    editing.

    While I've used Mac's in the past, starting with the original 128K
    model, we no longer own one. But I honestly feel that anyone who is
    in the market for a new computer is doing themselves a disservice if
    they don't at least take a few minutes to see what Apple has to
    offer.

    Michael Benveniste, Jun 24, 2011
  14. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    While that's somewhat true I have Server 2K5 running fin (if slowly) on
    a machine that was a heck of a powerful server in 1998--other than
    having ECC RAM and a RAID it's about the same spec as a Netbook.

    J. Clarke, Jun 24, 2011
  15. RichA

    Guest Guest

    not anymore. netbook sales have largely collapsed with the introduction
    of the ipad.

    <http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/09/17/notebook-sales-growth-goes-negat
    ive-can-we-blame-the-ipad-yet/>
    right, and comparing a powerful mac laptop to a $200 netbook and then
    claiming macs are overpriced is bullshit.

    Guest, Jun 25, 2011
  16. RichA

    Guest Guest

    the imac mouse was not crippled, other than being totally round which
    was a separate issue and was stupid.

    have you not been paying attention? mac os does not need a second
    button. it's a convenience for some and most users didn't care that it
    wasn't there. those that did could get whatever mouse they wanted.

    now if you want to talk about how a round mouse was stupid, that's
    entirely different. that has nothing to do with the number of buttons.
    i guess humans are crippled because they only have 2 legs while dogs,
    cats, horses, cows, etc. have four legs.

    what part of "it was designed to use one button, not two" do you not
    understand?
    the world standard? since when is what windows does the world standard?

    i know people with mice that have 2 buttons, 2 buttons+scroll wheel, 3
    buttons, 4 buttons, 5 buttons and even more buttons. how about a 17
    button mouse? it works on a mac too.

    <http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.169418900/
    categoryId.35208800>

    once again, mac os was designed around 1 button (based on user
    testing), but it can use additional buttons if the user wants. in fact,
    there was built-in support for up to 8 buttons in the operating system
    way back when, before windows 95 came out, even.

    windows was designed around 2 buttons, and as a result, there are a lot
    of things that you *can't* do unless you have a 2 button mouse (or
    remember some bizarro keyboard combo).

    on windows, a 1 button mouse is crippling, but on a mac it is not.
    no it was not. you call 16 simultaneous colours great?

    the apple ii was not a mac.

    the original mac 128k supported 8 colours, however, it came with a
    built-in b/w display. there were a number of apps that could print
    colour on a colour dot matrix printer, even though the display was b/w.
    the mac ii supported 32 bit colour regardless of the display or video
    card and it did it in a way that was compatible with existing b/w apps,
    and also in a way that didn't limit it to any display size.

    it shipped with 640x480 pixel trinitron display, which was essentially
    vga (although technically better), and predated vga (although not by
    that much). it also supported automatic id of the display before vga
    supported that too.

    shortly after the mac ii came out, third party manufacturers came out
    with larger displays and video cards of their own, in both b/w and
    colour.

    the mac ii could also support as many displays as there were slots (6
    in the original mac ii) and at different colour depths per display in
    one unified virtual desktop, something windows didn't get until much,
    much later and it didn't work as well either. the user could drag a
    window from a colour display to a b/w display and it could even
    straddle both displays, with half of the window in colour and the other
    half in b/w. the mac automatically resampled to whatever the
    capabilities of the display was, with no additional code in the app. it
    'just worked.'

    Guest, Jun 25, 2011
  17. RichA

    Guest Guest

    and macs had one button from the get-go. mac os was designed to only
    need one button.

    why is this such a difficult concept to accept?? do you think it's
    impossible??
    actually the advantage of one button was obvious to those who did user
    studies on the number of mouse buttons. microsoft ignored those
    studies.
    it only did that because of the windows switchers demanding it for no
    particular reason other than that's what they were used to.

    as i said before, apple added support for multiple buttons and
    contextual menus in the late 1980s, and despite having support,
    practically nobody cared until recently. it wasn't a major issue.
    yes you can have it both ways. one button *is* sufficient, but if the
    user wants a 2nd button (or 3rd, 4th or more), they are free to use
    however many buttons they want.
    so why does microsoft keep copying apple, if windows is ahead?

    Guest, Jun 25, 2011
  18. RichA

    Guest Guest

    it's both, but here's more:

    <http://hothardware.com/News/iPad-Sales-Chomp-Into-Asus-EeeXpectations/>

    A recent announcement from Asus, however, indicates the iPad has hit
    the netbook industry hard.
    Asus was mum on the reason for declining sales in the first and third
    categories, but blamed the iPad's popularity for decreasing Eee PC
    sales. Netbook sales have typically surged in Q3, but Asus is now
    predicting sales will decline to 1.4 million units. In Q1 and Q2 the
    company shipped 1.6 and 1.5 million netbooks.
    the ipad was the fastest selling device *ever*, only to be eclipsed a
    few months later by microsoft kinect, which is neither a tablet nor a
    laptop.
    totally wrong. in fact, macs are in some cases less expensive.

    the usual comparison is with different specs and blaming the price
    difference on one being a mac. that's bullshit.

    this was a couple of years ago but is nevertheless valid:
    <http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/apple-mac-leopard-windows-vista,198
    5-2.html>

    mac pro: $2799
    custom built pc using cheapest equivalent parts: $2773.33.

    apparently the mac was overpriced, by under 6 dollars. six dollars!!!

    Guest, Jun 25, 2011
  19. I think that will be true of many operating systems - the requirements of
    the software expand with the newer hardware which is available. I've
    found that memory is often the most important hardware component, and you
    may find that increasing the memory on your 1998 server would help a lot,
    but it may not be cost-effective, of course. I haven't used recent
    versions of Server, but I understand that you can really trim it back to
    the minimum components if necessary.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 25, 2011