Evil Apple's patent infringement of Nokia cost them

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jun 15, 2011.

  1. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, Jun 23, 2011

  2. same company.
    same ideas.
    same management.
    URLs, and you'll see that Apple plugs these holes.
    Well, if you rate storefront and automatic updating (kinda hard
    to do on systems that are more open, and for 3rd parties) at over
    21% for low price products and even more for high price products
    .... and let's not forget services and co, which are not included
    in the AppStore.
    That would be incredibly wise for Apple.
    Bin Laden simply had some guys learn how to fly big planes.
    Watch me not care for your sky, but "I told you so".

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 23, 2011

  3. Not thanks to Microsoft ("embrace and extend"), and too bad
    because it spoils the "Windows world out there" argument.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 23, 2011
  4. RichA

    Guest Guest

    xbox
    kin
    bob
    windows phone 7
    vista

    they must all be the same.

    ironically, windows phone 7 is about as restrictive than iphone
    (actually a little more so) is but nobody seems to notice or care.
    they're not holes, they're supported methods.

    companies can deploy their own software via enterprise deployment, and
    of course, app developers can install their own apps on their own
    devices as well as for beta testers, before they ever make to the
    store, if they do at all. html5 web apps do not go through the store
    and they can even be stored locally (no internet needed once
    downloaded).

    Guest, Jun 23, 2011
  5. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    I don't really care if my wrench is "elegant" as long as it turns the
    nut.

    Most people don't give a rat's ass if their computer is "a quite elegant
    system", only if it does what they need to do.

    And that's the big problem with all MacTribesmen, you care more about
    the tool than the job.

    J. Clarke, Jun 24, 2011
  6. RichA

    Guest Guest

    for windows home, maybe, but not for windows ultimate which is a closer
    match to what os x offers.

    os x is just $29, plus os x is not oem. you get full support for that
    $29. more importantly, mac os x lion is $29 for *all* computers a
    person controls, however many that may be.

    Guest, Jun 24, 2011
  7. RichA

    Guest Guest

    go read some of the user studies, or try handling tech support calls.

    the advantages of simplicity are surely pretty obvious, or at least
    they should be.
    who cares what some opine. look at the actual facts.

    apple's sales have consistently outpaced the market for several years
    and even increased when the market itself shrank.
    so right-click. either way works. having a choice is good.

    the point is that a right-click is not the only way to do something on
    a mac, and it's often *slower* than other methods.
    wrong. macs shipped with a four button mouse until recently, now it's a
    touch based multi-button gesture mouse or a multi-touch gesture based
    trackpad.

    if either of those is not to your liking, replace it with a $3 usb
    mouse.

    as i said before, macs have supported multiple buttons for years but
    not that many users cared. it's largely the windows switchers who want
    the second button since that's all they know.

    mac os does not require a second button. this is a concept that a lot
    of windows users just can't grasp.

    Guest, Jun 24, 2011
  8. RichA

    Guest Guest

    maybe you'll learn something and see what the fuss is about. it's *not*
    a windows-only world.

    Guest, Jun 24, 2011
  9. RichA

    Guest Guest

    there is a 5 user limit for the current snow leopard family pack.

    for os x lion, it's $29.99 for as many computers as you control.

    in other words, it just got cheaper.

    Guest, Jun 24, 2011
  10. RichA

    Guest Guest

    sure there is, you don't need to buy a new mac to run lion. apple gets
    $29 total, regardless of how many macs there are. apple also doesn't
    get any money if someone buys a used mac on which to run it.

    plus few people care about building computers and i don't know anyone
    who builds laptops, which is where the bulk of sales are for apple and
    the way the industry itself is moving.
    that microsoft mouse works great on a mac, by the way.

    Guest, Jun 24, 2011
  11. RichA

    Guest Guest

    Wrong! Ever since 2005 Apple has provided a two button mouse, before
    that third party mice and TrackBalls provided the right button so
    beloved of the Windows community.[/QUOTE]

    actually apple's mouse was four buttons.

    the third party option has been around for roughly 25 years for those
    who wanted it. not that many cared until recently, namely ex-windows
    users.

    Guest, Jun 24, 2011
  12. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    No, it's $29 for all computers that you already paid Apple anywhere from
    $699 on up to many thousands for.

    J. Clarke, Jun 24, 2011
  13. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    I never had to use the mouse button to scroll left and right (up and
    down too) until I had a mighty mouse
    before that I had to go to the window and drag the bar from left-
    right /up/down......

    Whisky-dave, Jun 24, 2011
  14. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Not sure your estimate is correct though.
    But I'm not sure you should count no working computers.

    You might learn something, frightening I know, if some one came to you
    and asked
    you what the best program is for editing movies or editing pictures
    I'm sure you'd perfer
    to give then balanced and correct information.
    If you don't know about Final Cut Pro or Logic or Aperture or
    photoshop
    Talking of Which Photoshop first appeared on the Apple Mac not on a
    PC.

    Some call, it getting a clue.
    Telling me I can't run your Microsoft Applications on my Mac is WRONG.
    I bet I can run any app that you can run and I bet it'll run faster
    and more reliably.
    I can also run Mac apps at the same time too.
    If you don;t know things like this then you should advise people to
    buy a computer until you do
    as you'll be giving them incorrect information. One of the most
    important things about giving advice
    is knowing what you're talking about and with computers is keep up to
    date.

    If you prefer to stay in the 80s because windows of 3.0
    but photoshop came out on the Mac before if appeared on the windows
    platform
    3 or 4 years before. So telling photographers to buy PCs wouldn't have
    been a good move.

    If the generic PCs are so great then how come Apple are doing so well
    or did so well
    at selling expensive computers that didn't run windows, think about
    it.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 24, 2011
  15. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    No they don;t but they have little choice, I think everyone would run
    their car(s) on water given the chance.

    So still 3 times the cost and how many computers can it be installed
    on legally ?
    Can you explain the advantages or your method.
    How many PCs do you say you have, I hope you'll be buying a separate
    copy
    for each PC you want to install it on.
    I agree but you are not everyone, why advise someone to buy a PC when
    they can print photos
    or documents, do email, edit pictures and movies, surf the web, buy
    things on-line
    when they can do it all on their phone.
    Me too, but when it comes to advising others not everyone needs a
    computer or a gun.
    For the vast majority of tasks the average user wishes to do a PC or
    Mac will be sufficient.
    A Mac will allow you to do anything whether it be windows or Mac OS a
    PC will only allow you to run windows.
    Macs are not more expensive than PCs because you can get 'PCs' of
    lower quality and spec.
    Apple do not make such low quality/low spec computers.
    Even Dell, HP and others sell ranges of computers according to
    use.....
    it's just Apple don;t start with such low specs that it all.
    There are other differences such as reliability which can be
    difficult to gauge.

    I prefer using them, I can understand the thrill of building them we
    do that here.
    But building 10s 20- and even 50s at a time... well the novelty wears
    off pretty quickly.
    And of course because of that we experience more problems than you
    probbaly do.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 24, 2011
  16. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    I wonder if Neil actually buys a new copy of Windows every-time he
    builds a new PC.
    That would certainly take a lot of the fun out of it for me.
    <cough> IF I could get Lion to run on my Macplus, SE 30, Mac LC475, G3
    iMac
    Mac G3 tower, the G4 tower and the G5 iMac I will.
    But I think I'll just install it on my Mac mini and my main iMac .
    What I am wondering is legally could I buy a new iMac once Lion is
    supplied
    could I use that 'Lion' and install it on other computers.
    I'm guessing no.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 24, 2011
  17. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Talkign of two button well macs had one button before PC mice had any
    buttons.

    The first Macintosh was introduced on January 24, 1984; it was the
    first commercially successful personal computer to feature a mouse and
    a graphical user interface rather than a command-line interface

    Here on my PC the right click can.... ZIPs files and folders
    can open, close, copy, paste, rename, delete or convert to PDF...
    so what's this standard 'one right button for information' have to do
    with it.

    Remember it's PC user that went over to windows after it appeared on
    the Mac not before.
    GUI was then seen as the way forward although there were other
    implementations of a GUI
    by others but they didn't have such things as drag-able windows which
    could overlap
    I remember typing out command lines on an old xerox System to create a
    window at location X

    Whisky-dave, Jun 24, 2011
  18. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    me upgrading my old Aples with the lastest sorftare without me having
    to pay for it.
    Yes and each and everyone comes with the OS free.
    They will 'loose' as people currently upgrade their Mac to the latest
    OS.
    Just as PC users do, but if a PC users of XP want to upgrade his PCs
    to windows 7 it costs them $100
    per computer to do it legally, with the Mac it's $30 for 5 or how
    many you're household has.
    yes, so MS are making $100 every time you build a PC and put windows
    on it.
    Is that really a bargain ?

    I can install and copy any of the current Mac OSs with out any
    problems there's
    no activation or serial No. to type in, Apple don;t check to see if
    the OS is legal
    or not.
    Well I wouldn't want Apple charging me for building my own computer.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 24, 2011
  19. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    I prefer my nuts turned by attractive things ;-)
    That's true the same can be said of cars, but loads of people by cars
    for more the the fact of getting from A to B.

    Good workman are proud of their tools.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 24, 2011
  20. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Almost true. They take care of them so they help produce a product.
    I could pick up the finest violin, or sit down in front of the best
    Steinway. The resulting music would be equally lousy.

    PeterN, Jun 24, 2011