Evil Apple's patent infringement of Nokia cost them

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jun 15, 2011.

  1. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    If Forte had continued to offer Free Agent, the company would have
    been out of business years ago. You can still get a free trial.

    Previously I used Turnpike which was supplied free by my then ISP.
    Once I tried Free Agent I decided it suited me very well, certainly
    the user interface was much better than the clunky Turnpike. I have
    tried other packages which are available on Macs but I like Agent too
    much to want to change.

    I have used anti-virus software since I first went online with a PC.
    More recently I have added anti-malware. The problem is that these
    programs give almost as much trouble as the viruses and malware. They
    slow my PC to a crawl. When these packages are new, they tend to work
    well but subsequent versions add features that may (or may not) be
    necessary or desirable to some, but they become very processor-hungry
    and slow the PC to a standstill. The CPU cooling fan begins to roar
    almost as soon as they start up. ;-)

    I have enjoyed building PCs in the past. Now, I just want to buy
    something that works out of the box and does not demand any
    significant amount of time from me. The Mac fits the bill,
    beautifully.

    I did try installing Linux on an Intel notebook but once again the
    lack of a Linux version of Agent ruled it out. It was otherwise very
    good, and I would put it on my netbook if it wasn't for the Agent
    problem.

    And no, I don't want a dual boot, Linux with Windows. One computer,
    one operating system. Keep it simple! :)

    Bruce, Jun 16, 2011

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    In my case, the precautions are a part of the problem. I do wonder
    how much of my PC's average daily processing is taken up driving these
    enormously resource-hungry programs.

    Bruce, Jun 16, 2011

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    The worst problems I have ever experienced were with Norton Security
    Suite. I cannot recall which year it was, but my desktop PC was
    unusable for almost two weeks until a way was found to get rid of
    Norton Security Suite. I had to hand it to Norton, they protected
    their own software from anything I, my partner or any of our friends
    tried in order to get rid of it. ;-)

    Indeed. That doesn't seem to be a problem with MacOS, any version.

    Bruce, Jun 16, 2011
  4. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    I have been using Agent for several years, but refused to upgrade from
    Version 1.93 (they are now up to Version 6.0) The version I have
    works, so I see no reason to change.

    tony cooper, Jun 16, 2011
  5. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    My experience, exactly. Norton admitted the problem and issued a
    patch that allowed the software to be removed. I obtained a full
    refund after threatening to sue.

    This one was Norton's fault and they had no option but to admit it.

    I agree, the DOS versions were excellent. But after my problems - I
    think it was Norton Security Essentials 2006 - I have never bought
    anything Norton again.

    Since then, I have had problems with McAfee and ZoneAlarm and a couple
    of other programs. When you first install them they work well, but
    after a few revisions they become unwieldy and seem to take over.

    Meanwhile, the Mac is virus- and malware-free bliss.

    Bruce, Jun 16, 2011
  6. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    I agree. I paid to upgrade to 6.0 and wondered why I had.

    Bruce, Jun 16, 2011
  7. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Within days of Microsoft taking over Skype, a new version of Skype was
    issued. A very stable program was replaced with a bug-ridden POS that
    crashed every few minutes.

    As my partner said: "Welcome to Microsoft". :-(

    It seems that everything Microsoft touches turns to garbage. Still,
    as we have said before, it creates work for systems people.

    Bruce, Jun 17, 2011
  8. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    I think McAfee was brought by intel for $5billion or some ridiculous
    figure that I couldn't understand why
    a chip maker wants an anti virus company, but as things 'progress'
    maybe viruses are targeting hardware,
    well the firmware you can upgrade. So any virus firmware could have
    very serious consequences
    even wiping the hard drive might not be enough to restore a PC or
    perhaps even a Mac.
    This could happen to any OS including portable/phone/tablets OSs

    Whisky-dave, Jun 17, 2011
  9. RichA

    Guest Guest

    it has more to do with writing malware for windows being much easier.
    true

    Guest, Jun 17, 2011
  10. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    The program was *not* "very stable" before the take-over. The drops
    were - and are - annoying, but reconnecting is simple.

    My brother lives in Europe, and we talk every other week or so -
    computer to computer - on Skype and have been doing so since Skype was
    introduced. There have always been drops on Skype calls, but I don't
    see any difference lately.

    My daughter-in-law connects with her parents in Europe every week, but
    she connects computer to land-line. She has not complained of any
    difference since the change.

    tony cooper, Jun 17, 2011
  11. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    That's undoubtedly a part of it, but Mac systems are far more
    resistant to these kinds of attack. Same applies to Linux and of
    course Unix. Microsoft is out on a limb here.

    To bring the discussion back on topic, I started to get involved in
    forensic photography a few months ago and regularly get called out to
    scenes of crime that involve physical theft of IT equipment. The same
    investigators are also involved investigating hacking and other
    non-physical offences and they describe Microsoft Windows-based
    systems as "asking for trouble" because they are so insecure.

    For me, Microsoft systems have caused no end of problems whereas Mac
    systems are stable, robust and reliable and require almost zero user
    intervention outside booting up, using and closing down hardware and
    software. I'm not in the least interested in meddling with hardware
    and operating systems, I just want a system that works out of the box
    and does what it claims. MacOS and Linux systems seem consistently to
    achieve that. Windows is just a lot of hard work for no gain.

    One thing this discussion has achieved is that I have resolved to
    eliminate Windows machines from my life at the next available
    opportunity. ;-)

    Bruce, Jun 17, 2011
  12. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    I could never understand why Corel bought Paint Shop Pro when they
    already had PhotoPaint. Perhaps Paint Shop Pro came bundled free with
    a package of really valuable software. ;-)

    Corel PhotoPaint was my photo editor of choice for a few years but it
    now seems to have fallen by the wayside through lack of development.
    There is now a Mac version but I haven't tried it. I have never liked
    Photoshop but clients expect me to use it, so I have to.

    In photography, I suppose that Sony's takeover of Konica Minolta was
    something similar. Now, after several years of disastrous errors of
    judgement that have lost Sony many millions of dollars and all but
    destroyed the formerly well-respected ex-Minolta DSLR range, Sony has
    finally come good with NEX. It is not before time.

    Bruce, Jun 17, 2011
  13. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    None of it is used in court. It is used to support insurance claims
    and for company records. The investigators are all private, some
    self-employed working under contract and some employed by the
    companies who suffer losses.

    I believe some of my images have been passed to police for use in
    investigations but so far none has been used to prosecute. Quite
    possibly they would not be admissible in a court - I don't know.

    Prosecutions seem rare in relation to the number of thefts. I
    expected to be called out only occasionally, but the last time I made
    myself available I was called out four times in an eight day period.

    So far, all the clients have been internet service providers who have
    had switches stolen from telephone exchanges.

    It isn't fun. It involves early starts (typically 3:30 to 5:00 AM)
    and I have to get to site quickly because no work to restore service
    can be started until the investigators and I have completed our work.
    So all the work is within a 75 mile radius from home, which covers the
    whole of Greater London.

    But it pays well, and that is the only reason I would ever consider
    doing it. It has never taken me more than an hour to complete my work
    on site. I hand over a flash card and that's it - off to McDonald's
    for breakfast! ;-)

    Bruce, Jun 17, 2011
  14. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    I agree, PowerBooks and MacBooks are ridiculously expensive. I've
    built 3 PCs and enjoyed it but I don't have the energy any more. My
    health is chronically poor and I have to keep what little energy do I
    have for gainful employment. So my last new PC was a Dell and I hate
    it. Every single component is the cheapest Dell could find.

    Like you, I avoided Vista and I would have to upgrade to Windows 7 if
    I stayed with Microsoft. I suppose XP has served me reasonably well.
    But the next computer I need to replace - the one I am typing on now -
    will be replaced by a Mac. Probably not a new one, but another iMac
    would suit me well. Even used Macs aren't cheap. :-(

    I'm very grateful for all who have contributed to this discussion as
    it has really helped me to decide where to go next. I have had more
    time than usual to listen to others' opinions during a mostly restful
    week waiting for the directors of our fledgling company to digest my
    report on the state of the company - with our future direction as its
    main focus.

    I have kept myself available in case anyone wants to ask me questions,
    but they have been very few in number and mainly about detail. I
    don't know whether that is a good or a bad thing. This is uncharted
    territory for me. ;-)

    Bruce, Jun 17, 2011
  15. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    The PSP interface is extremely easy to use and quite intuitive. It was
    designed for use by the casual user. IIRC you didn't have to wade
    through menus to change brush type and size, it had a reasonably
    accurate and easy to use set of pre-casts for eyes and color replacement
    & tinting was a breeze. (Way ahead of its time.) Also, I suspect that
    Corel didn't realize how bad its marketing policies were, and about a
    year earlier it made sever cuts in its development personnel.

    PeterN, Jun 17, 2011
  16. RichA

    Guest Guest

    nonsense. they're competitive with similarly speced laptops from other
    manufacturers and apple hasn't made a powerbook in 6 years.

    Guest, Jun 17, 2011
  17. ^^^^

    The art of flight (and, AFAIU, also the engines) did a *enormous*
    jump between 1913 and 1918. War does that to things.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 17, 2011
  18. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    There is a major difference between the proof required in a civil case
    and a criminal case. Technically a snapshot from a P&S would be
    admissible if the photographer was able to testify that the image fair
    and accurately represented the scene at the time of the incident in
    question.

    It might also make a difference if the purpose for the image was simply
    for cross examination of a witness.

    PeterN, Jun 18, 2011
  19. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Yes, but "forensic" means "suitable for use in court". The standards
    and requirements may be higher in a criminal case, but a photographer
    who takes photos used in a civil case can still be considered to be
    doing forensic work.

    Even the statement that the standards and requirements may be higher
    in criminal cases is not always the case. Images from cell phones,
    CCTV, and video cameras used by the public have been admitted into
    evidence.

    That snapshot from a P&S could be admissible in a criminal case, but
    it would not stand alone as proof.

    tony cooper, Jun 18, 2011
  20. When will Windows get virtual desktops per default?
    And isn't exactly missed, since the file formats can be read
    and written.
    Various versions of Photoshop run under wine.
    Whereas in Windows you can at least get an idea of
    Let's say, a couple dozen desktop environments, most extensively
    tweakable, including some that are designed for keyboard only ---
    if you don't like mice. Some that are very spartan in the use
    of RAM and CPU (they could run on 20 year old computers). etc.
    And you are free to choose at any time.
    It's different in some things from Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
    'driver'?

    A bit of google usually shows the 'recipe', and since Linux
    is quite logical, one can usually find the problem.
    That would happen if the newbie did something as root he
    didn't understand. Like putting a high voltage flash on a
    camera that doesn't like that, only not as permanent.

    The newbie can always use a rescue disk or a CD/DVD
    distribution like Knoppix to get back.

    I understand randomly changing things in the registry can
    break Windows, too.
    It's gotten much better.
    And for Windows.
    'certified' means very little.
    VMWare Workstation has Unity, and runs on Linux.

    Until Apple does the AppStore on Macs and will only allow you to
    buy software from there. Would be a great model for Apple.
    Works with the iPhone.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 18, 2011