    - "perpetually in beta" != not "perfect"

    After all, Windows 1.0 was released some decades ago.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 17, 2011

  2. One wonders where you put your brain when you utter such a statement.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 17, 2011

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Side issue. Though ethanol has caused some major food disruptions in
    the form of increased prices which has impacted the Third World badly
    (Read some of the stories by the envirokooks on their ill-fated
    scheme) the majority of current prices increases in food prices are
    due to increased demand in Asia. I guess they want to end up as
    overweight as most Americans?

    RichA, Jul 17, 2011
  4. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    So how does it feel to have an underweight brain.

    PeterN, Jul 17, 2011
  5. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Define "sometimes."

    PeterN, Jul 17, 2011
  6. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Don't we all pay for parts/features we neither want nor need? I'm
    sure the cost of my mobile phone is somewhat increased because of
    features I have no interest in.

    The counter-argument is that if the maker of my phone had to offer
    more models so that people could buy the exact model that includes
    only the features they want, the maker would incur more costs in
    inventory requirements, packaging labels, and so on. The overall
    costs would increase even if the unit cost decreased, thus resulting
    in an increase in selling price for the unit.

    Paying for features we don't want/need may mean paying less.

    tony cooper, Jul 17, 2011
  7. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Still, you have mentioned that you don't read >every< post.

    (I do, incidentally.)

    John Turco, Jul 19, 2011
  8. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    No, I don't. I do tend to at least skim every post by certain posters
    and completely skip posts made by certain posters. I also skip some
    threads if the subject doesn't interest me.

    Most of the time I skim or skip your posts. You tend to slug in a
    whole bunch of posts weeks after the subject has died, but I happened
    to notice this one.

    tony cooper, Jul 20, 2011
  9. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    In late June/early July, I took a break from Usenet; it lasted more than
    a week. After returning, several hours over many days were spent, in order
    to catch up. (During this period, I'd probably perused 1,400+ articles, in
    <edited for brevity>

    Indeed, that's been my usual posting pattern, for a long while. This
    month (July 2011), though, I've been replying comparatively promptly.

    John Turco, Jul 24, 2011
  10. Error: No 'sometimes' to define in original post.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 24, 2011
  11. But those features are software. Not cheap to write, but
    trivial and cheaper than dirt to copy on one more phone.

    Only if the additional costs for the feature are small to
    begin with. With software they usually are ...
    .... but we're not talking about software costs, we're talking
    license costs here. And while installing Windows is probably a
    very cheap thing, especially on identical machines, the additional
    cost (in form of the license) is anything but small or trivial.

    And here, paying for Windows, if you don't use it, does not mean
    paying less.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 24, 2011
  12. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    It can't be bathos because my ridiculous comment about running out of
    question marks, was intentional.

    PeterN, Aug 14, 2011
  13. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    Moonbeam's back? But, alas, sans Linda.

    J. Clarke, Aug 19, 2011
  14. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Shucks, I don't keep up with current events. (That leaves Arnie with
    plenty of free time to prepare for his Wolfgang role, though.)

    John Turco, Aug 26, 2011