    RichA Guest

    Do you own any Apple products? Have you now, or have you ever owned
    any Apple products?

    RichA, Jun 15, 2011

  3. RichA

    Richard Guest

    Apple products are like cats. People don't own them, it's the other way
    round.
    ;-)

    Richard, Jun 15, 2011
  4. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Each to his own taste, but I find the opposite is true. I think most
    people are slaves to Windows but since the late 80s I have always
    found the Mac as completely undemanding of me as would be possible in
    a computer. I use three and I would not wish to be without them. I
    use a Windows PC for newsgroup access, eBay and general browsing and I
    absolutely detest it.

    A friend volunteers in a charity project to help bring older people
    online. He sources obsolescent PCs from corporate sources then trains
    the seniors to use them.

    He has been doing this for five or six years now. He tells me that
    the people using Windows require a lot of ongoing support, whereas
    those who were fortunate enough to be given a used Mac need none.

    He was so concerned that he hadn't heard from the people using Macs -
    thinking perhaps that they had stopped using them - that he called all
    of them to see how they were getting on. They were all thoroughly
    enjoying their Macs, whereas most of the people using Windows were
    having no end of problems.

    Doubtless a Windows fanboi would conclude that the Mac is an old
    person's computer. ;-)

    Bruce, Jun 15, 2011
  5. RichA

    Richard Guest

    Geez... that's sooooo sad. All those words for what? You seem to be so much
    more of a Rich than Rich.
    The ironic thing is that you use the same emoticon which I did.
    :-/

    Richard, Jun 15, 2011
  6. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    I do see my Macs as cats because they are smart, neat and tidy
    and almost keep themselves clean.
    I find that too, I used to need to support Mac users a lot more in the
    past
    especially in the days of OS9, but since OSX or rather Panther I
    hardly
    hear from them other than questions I want a new mac which should I
    get.
    It does seem to be true in most cases.
    That could be a new sales pitch, if you're old and haven't many years
    left
    do you really want to spend them battling with windows. ;-)

    Whisky-dave, Jun 15, 2011
  7. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Or to put it another way, extend your life with a low-stress Mac!

    ;-)

    Bruce, Jun 15, 2011
  8. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Sad? I'll tell you what is sad - it is the person who is completely
    unable to provide a response so resorts to an ad hominem attack.

    Bruce, Jun 15, 2011
  9. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Nice to see peer-pressure effects adults as much as gullible teens.

    RichA, Jun 15, 2011
  10. RichA

    Richard Guest

    I have found you at last. The standard dipstick to which all others are
    compared.
    Where the hell did you see an attack in my original response, you humourless
    creature?

    Richard, Jun 15, 2011
  11. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    The only 'peer pressure' I experience is from Windoze users who ask me
    why I bother with a Mac when Windoze is so much cheaper. After all,
    they say all the software I use on the Mac can be bought for Windoze.

    It's a bit like users of consumer grade lenses wondering why I paid
    more for one lens than they paid for their whole outfit, or why people
    driving a Hyundai wonder why I drive a Mercedes-Benz. ;-)

    Bruce, Jun 15, 2011
  12. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    I'd like a new Merc but all I can justify is a 2004 E320 CDI (W211).

    I've also had a 1995 E300 Diesel (W124) and a 2001 S320 CDI (W220)
    which I sold to the company I work for, so I still drive it
    occasionally. It is a fine car until you try to find a parking space
    that's big enough. ;-)

    I have paid a deposit on a Smart Electric Drive for 2012 delivery.
    It's still a Merc ... but only just.

    My first was a Mac SE all-in-one, then a Mac IIcx ... eventually a
    Power Mac G3, then a G5. I now have a Mac Intel desktop for image
    processing and management, an iMac G5 for the business side of things
    and a MacBook which I carry with me unless I'm travelling light, when
    I use an inexpensive Windows netbook.

    I got rid of my iPhone because it did everything well except be a
    phone. I replaced it with an HTC Android phone and I have just
    ordered another. The HTC as a phone beats the Mac hands down, but it
    lacks iTunes which is so good for managing music.

    I have a feeling that Windows enthusiasts get a real kick out of
    mastering their accursed machines. They would find a Mac pretty
    boring, because it just, er, works. It depends whether you want to
    just use a computer or enjoy fixing one.

    I would like to see our business change over to 100% Mac but the two
    sys admins are against it, probably because they know that we could
    easily lose one of them: Macs need minimal support.

    Bruce, Jun 15, 2011
  13. RichA

    Irwell Guest

    Coming from you that is the height of hypocrisy.

    Irwell, Jun 15, 2011
  14. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    If you think you can claim the moral high ground with yet another ad
    hominem attack, you're even sadder than the other sad guy. So that
    makes you the hypocrite, not me.

    Bruce, Jun 15, 2011
  15. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Wow! Is it always that clean? The colour suits California.

    I'm not sure, but I think that was sold in Europe as an SEC (W140).

    Both cars would now be slow sellers in Europe because of the high
    price of fuel. Diesels make up the vast majority of Mercedes sales
    across most of the range. My S320 CDI averaged almost 40 miles per UK
    gallon in my ownership - about 33 per US. If I owned an E350 I might
    use almost twice as much fuel ...

    We pay about GBP 1.40 per litre of gasoline or diesel, which is about
    GBP 5.30 per UK gallon or US $7.28 per US gallon. Perhaps that
    explains why diesels are so popular here. :)

    True, so true.

    Bruce, Jun 15, 2011
  16. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    15 miles per gallon isn't good in Europe. One of our directors drives
    a Range Rover Sport with a large V8 and gets about that mileage. But
    he only lives three miles from work, so the car does very few miles in
    a year. He pays a lot of tax, though, because the UK hits users of
    large cars very hard.

    That's pretty good. I like the new E Class. It seems to represent a
    return to the build quality of the period up to the mid-1990s when the
    accountants took over the management of the Daimler-Benz company from
    the engineers.

    About half the price, then. It's a long time since I paid so little
    for fuel - probably the last time I was in the US. My Smart Electric
    Drive will be very cheap to run with annual estimated fuel
    (electricity) costs of about US $150, but I haven't been told the
    leasing payment yet. The range is about 80-85 miles so I will need a
    conventional car for longer trips.

    Bruce, Jun 15, 2011
  17. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    That's true. I keep my work and personal lives completely separate,
    even to the extent of having two independent connections to the
    Internet.

    My desktop PC and netbook both run Forte Agent News Reader, which I
    have used for the last thirteen years. I also run some tax software.
    Neither of these will run under MacOS and I don't want to corrupt any
    of my Macs by installing Windows. I haven't had a virus on any Mac
    since 1989 and have never had malware. With Windows PCs, spyware and
    malware are constant threats.

    Someone will be along in a minute to tell me that this isn't a logical
    choice, but it works for me. If Forte ever ports Agent to the MacOS,
    I might change my mind. Even then, I will still keep my work and
    personal lives completely separate by using separate computers and
    separate connections to the Internet.

    Bruce, Jun 16, 2011
  18. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    A friend of mine lost his wife about three years ago. He lost himself in
    his photography. That and his family really helped.
    He was recently introduced to a woman by a mutual friend. It's not that
    he doesn't miss his wife, but life goes on.

    PeterN, Jun 16, 2011
  19. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    Not necessarily I have 3 macs that are in regular use, two of them are
    on
    almost 24/7 . I run my webcam adn torrent stuff on teh mac mini
    also when I burn a lot of CDs or DVD I tend to use teh mini for that
    and my iMac for virtually everything else.
    When friends come around they use the mac mini for surfing and reading
    mail
    and anything they wish as it keeps them away from my iMac.
    I use my iMac for playing certain games but for my favourite games
    most run under OS9 so I use my G3 CRT iMac for those.
    I use PCs at work, my allocated one and any of the 60 in my lab.

    well unless you were into computers you couldn't do much with them
    until GUI
    became available.
    I was too, it was also the first time I'd tried smoked salmon.
    That's what made Apple successful though.
    There were no colour 9" monitors of the price anyone could really
    afford.

    I don't really see that as the case, you could upgrade the RAM
    yourself
    if you knew how. I certainly did, after watching how the Apple tech
    installed memory
    in the MacPluses we had.
    The technology was useful though and the Macplus did come from that
    rather than the keyboard
    in a box computer idea.
    But that wasn't their aim they didn't have the manufacture capability
    of IBM.
    IBM were mainframe builders not home computer builders how many IBM
    computers do you see today far less than the number of Macs.
    It's a post PC world today, computers aren't really that important as
    computers
    Apple has proved that which is why everyone seems to be making tablet
    devices which were never
    popular until the iPad.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 16, 2011
  20. RichA

    Whisky-dave Guest

    I wonder what would happen without, maybe that's why you haven;t been
    bothered
    by such things because you have taken precautions.
    For me that's a separate 'hobby' although we 'build' computers where
    I work for cheapness.
    A friend that is a Mac service engineer type also likes building
    computers but he prefers using a Mac
    for almost everything except playing games.
    He builds games machine as a challenge, well building PCs is a
    challenge.
    Yes, I'm not sure what you do on a computer but there's these mobile
    OSs
    that are coming together in this post PC world.
    Well you could just have dual boot PC even my iMac can dual boot even
    triple boot.
    Or you can get these carriers that hold a HD and you just insert the
    one you want to start up with.
    Of course maybe starting up from an external drive may be better, that
    way you don;t have to buy
    a new computer to play with Linux, I did that on my old Mac 7600
    (120MHz), but didn;t find Linux
    very useful.

    Whisky-dave, Jun 16, 2011