EVF camera with SLR Lenses?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dick Campbell, Oct 5, 2003.

  1. While I am waiting for the right (mainly price) Digital SLR to come along it
    occurs to me that main requirement is that the camera has a "standard" lens
    mount. That could be one of the existing SLR standards or the new Four
    Thirds standard for all I care. I would also like 6 MP just so that I can
    put "MP envy" aside for at least a few years. To be honest my current 3 MP
    camera seems to have as much resolution as I need but I would go for 6 MP
    when buying a new camera just because technology has reached that level.

    I have seen a lot of discussion about view finder alignment in digital SLRs,
    especially relating to the model I am seriously considering.

    Are there any cameras that meet the above requirements and have an
    Electronic View Finder (EVF)? This would obviously overcome any concerns
    about view finder alignment, at least I think so. I am not really fussed
    whether the view finder uses mirrors, pentaprism or EVF as long as what I
    see is what I get. It seems to me the EVF cannot possibly have aligment
    problems.

    Any opinions on the idea of a and "SLR"/EVF combination?

    What are the shortcomings of EVF?

    One factor is I guess the use of a mechanical shutter is a bit tricky, if
    not impossible.

    On the other hand it might be easier to protect the sensor from dust by
    having a sealed chamber for the sensor, something that is difficult achieve
    with the current digital SLRs.

    I had a look at the Kodak DX6940 the other day and it has EVF with 10X
    optical zoom, but obviously a fixed lens system. With a "zoom" range of 38
    to 380, it probably covers all the lenses I am likely to buy anyway. I would
    be more interested if it was 5 MP.

    Dick Campbell

    Dick Campbell, Oct 5, 2003

  2. Dick Campbell

    james Guest

    You must be new to the group. This horse has been beaten to death from
    every direction possible for the last month. There are no digital SLR's at
    present that have Electronic View Finders. Two good reasons are that the
    Sensor's in DSLR's are different than the sensors used in Point & Shoot
    Consumer digi-cams. And they cannot be used to provide live video feedback
    for a EVF. And the resolution of current LCD displays are not good enough
    to provide good visual feedback to the photographer.
    Before I got my Cannon 10D, I used a Sony FD-91 with a EVF (thru the lense)
    and in most conditions it worked pretty good. Except, at night or low
    light. Then it was usless. I did take some photos at nite with it but,
    they were terrible. I also, used an old Konica FT-1 Motor 35mm SLR, with
    several lenses.
    That camera took great photos, when the operator (me) was working right !
    Having used both the EVF and the SLR's Standard Thru the Lense View Finder,
    I much prefer the regular TTL view finder. And the Canon's viewfinder is
    great.
    As for the zoom range of the Kodak you mentioned, that is a very wide range
    and you will find that it will not be good all thru it's range. And don't
    forget, the sensor's in the Kodak and camera's like it, do double duty (and
    some do it very very good too) and because of that there is a very noticable
    shutter lag and the sensor is also smaller than any of the current DSLR's on
    the market.
    If I had not already fallen in love with the 10D, and wanted a non-DSLR, I
    think I would wait and see the reviews of the new Sony F828 (8mp) coming out
    soon. Otherwise, just about any of the current crop of DSLR's are worth the
    money if you are really "into" photography. Of course, the investment will
    end up being much more than a camera with a built-in lense, but, it will be
    much more versitile and your investment in lenses will allow you to move on
    someday to a newer camera body (same brand) and not have to buy all new
    lenses.
    james

    james, Oct 5, 2003

  3. Thanks James,

    I don't how I missed other postings on this subject, I would have taken part
    if I had seen them.

    As much as anything, I was wondering whether Digital SLR was really what I
    wanted. I suspect that the answer is yes from what you have said.

    It had occurred to me that EVF would introduce more shutter lag as the
    shutter must be open in view finder mode, then has to close and time the
    shot. This sounds like an issue especially with a focal plane shutter.

    I had also heard that EVF was a problem in low light and I realise that a
    single lens that provides a 10X zoom range is stretching optics to the
    limit.

    Besides, I do miss the total experience using of my Pentax SLR film camera.
    The one I am looking seriously at is the Canon 300D. The price of the Pentax
    digital is such that it doesn't compensate for the cost of not having to buy
    lenses.

    Dick Campbell, Oct 5, 2003
  4. Dick Campbell

    james Guest

    Dick, I think you should head over to : http://www.dpreview.com and check
    out the forums there and especially the one for the 300D. Lot's of new 300D
    owners there that are very excited about their camera purchase. It is
    probably the best bang for the buck, in it's class right now. It is more or
    less a 10D in a plastic body with a few of the advanced features of the 10D
    missing. Had it been available when I bought my 10D it would have made it a
    bit tougher to decide which I wanted. But, having used a 10D for a while
    now, and having gotten to play with a 300D last week, I feel like the
    purchase of the 10D was still the right choice for me. It just feels like a
    more solid camera than the 300D.
    Good luck on whatever camera you end up with. And remember, have fun and
    take lots of pictures !!!
    james

    james, Oct 5, 2003
  5. Dick Campbell

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Oct 5, 2003
  6. Thanks James,

    I definitely indulge in photography for the enjoyment and I am pretty
    excited about the 300D. So far I have been using a Casio QV3000 which I have
    now been using for 3 years (see http://users.bigpond.net.au/racampbell).
    Such cameras are less than half the price now but I have have gained 3 years
    worth of experience and enjoyment by getting in early so I don't regret it.

    As I mentioned, I do miss the total experince of using and SLR so the 300D
    seems like the one for me at this moment in time.

    Dick Campbell, Oct 5, 2003
  7. Dick Campbell

    james Guest

    Very nice photos! Just think of all the fun you'll have with a higher rez
    camera and more lense options !
    james

    james, Oct 5, 2003
  8. Exactly.

    I intend to visit New Zealand next year, a very photogenic location, and
    intend to have a 6 MP DLSR with me when I go.

    Thanks for your advice.

    Dick Campbell, Oct 5, 2003
  9. Dick Campbell

    Crownfield Guest

    lack of critical sharpness when focussing,
    slight lag in the image.

    on the other side, they adjust exposure and sharpness
    for whatever filter you are using, like infra red.
    you still can see, even with an IR filter.

    Crownfield, Oct 5, 2003
  10. Dick Campbell

    Kenny Guest

    Not again.... wake me when its over.

    Kenny, Oct 5, 2003
  11. It hardly seems wot=rth making the comment really.

    Dick Campbell, Oct 5, 2003