    havn't really tested it yet but hope to get out at the weekend. Compared to
    my old Minolta Dynax film camera it really feels like a step up.

    Chris

    Chris Long, Jan 30, 2006

  2. Chris Long

    Eatmorepies Guest

    What lens(es) did you get? That's the big decision. Best look around before
    taking it.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Jan 30, 2006

  3. Chris Long

    Chris Long Guest

    Due to budget contraints I got the kit lens. Will wait to get a good lens
    but I see what people mean about the cheaper build of the kit lens, although
    some magazines do give it a good review.

    Chris

    Chris Long, Jan 31, 2006
  4. Chris Long

    alex Guest

    If you are into portrait/medium zoom work I can recommend the 50mm F/1.8
    with thr 350. Very sharp, and very wide aperture for lots of light. It
    also happens to be Canon's cheapest and lightest lens to boot. 69 quid from
    http://www.microglobe.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=143_155

    alex, Jan 31, 2006
  5. Chris Long

    SMS Guest

    The 18-55 kit lenses supplied by Canon and Nikon are actually not bad.
    They are much better than the kit lenses that used to be bundled with
    the low-end film SLRs. When I bought my 20D, the difference in price was
    around $70 between the kit and the body only, so I went ahead and got
    the kit lens, though I don't use it much.

    You see people endlessly complaining about the 18-55 kit lenses from
    Canon, and now they are complaining about the D50 kit lens from Nikon,
    but the reality is that they are decent lenses. And no one is forcing
    anyone to buy them. You can buy the Canon 20D with a better kit lens
    (17-85 IS), or no kit lens at all. You can buy the 350D with or without
    the 18-55 kit lens, but Canon isn't offering other kits with any price
    break.

    The difference really is that Canon has no kit lens like the Nikon
    18-70mm. With Canon, that range of lens is the 17-85 IS lens, which is
    $500, versus the Nikon lens which is $350 if bought separately (and
    essentially $300 as part of a D70s kit).

    If the choice were between a Nikon D70s kit (with Nikon 18-70mm
    f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED lens) at $1200, and a Canon 350D body with the EF-S
    17-85MM f4-5.6 IS at $1250, I'd probably go with the 350D, based on
    higher resolution, lower noise, mirror lock-up, and the availability of
    a Canon vertical grip (rather than after-market for the D70s). OTOH, the
    D70s has spot focusing, which the 350D lacks, and the D70s feels like a
    better camera due to the material.

    Steve
    "http://digitalslrinfo.com/"

    SMS, Jan 31, 2006
  6. Chris Long

    Brian Gideon Guest

    Chris,

    I don't think you'll be disappointed. I know you were asking about
    image stablization last week. I got the EF 28-135 IS last night. It
    cost $465 which includes the lens hood and shipping/handling. I
    decided to get it instead of the EF-S 17-85 IS mostly because it is
    $110 cheaper, but also because I may eventually switch to full-frame.
    I haven't had time to play with it much, but my observations so far
    are:

    1) I'm okay with the 28mm wide angle. It really isn't that much of an
    issue for me. I can usually take a few steps back from the subject if
    I really need to and the extra length on the telephoto end may suit my
    style better anyway. I still have the EF-S 18-55 to fall back on if
    needed.

    2) I haven't experimented enough to see how much slower the shutter can
    go before camera shake becomes apparent. But, at the very least, I can
    say that the IS has a noticeable effect in the viewfinder. If it's
    quiet enough I can actually hear the gyros activate when the shutter
    button is pressed half-way.

    Brian

    Brian Gideon, Jan 31, 2006
  7. Chris Long

    alex Guest

    Steve,

    You can set the 350D to spot focus, by over-riding the 7 spot focus and
    choosing any of the 7 spots in the matrix. I choose the centre one because
    I guess it's more natural.

    Alex

    alex, Jan 31, 2006
  8. Chris Long

    SMS Guest

    Sorry, I meant to say spot metering, not spot focusing.

    Selecting the focus point, is an alternative to spot metering.

    Most of the time you don't need this workaround, since matrix metering
    will give better results in most situations.

    SMS, Jan 31, 2006
  9. Chris Long

    Annika1980 Guest

    I'd probably go with the 350D, based on
    An off-the-shelf 350D doesn't have mirror lockup.
    However, it can be obtained by a firmware "upgrade."

    Annika1980, Feb 1, 2006
  10. Chris Long

    SMS Guest

    Incorrect. That was the 300D that needed the firmware hack. The 350D has
    always had mirror lock-up.

    SMS, Feb 1, 2006
  11. Chris Long

    Annika1980 Guest

    An off-the-shelf 350D doesn't have mirror lockup.
    So noted. To tell the truth, I forgot that they are two different
    models.
    I don't keep up much with that cheap consumer gear, dontcha know.

    Annika1980, Feb 1, 2006
  12. Chris Long

    Skip M Guest

    Snob. Bought a 5D yet?

    Skip M, Feb 1, 2006
  13. Chris Long

    Prometheus Guest

    Wrong, it's custom function (C.Fn) 07.

    Prometheus, Feb 1, 2006
  14. Chris Long

    SMS Guest

    Yeah, well did you see the specs for the alleged Canon EOS-3000D, the
    $500 Nikon D50 competitor? IMVAIO, Canon should have just ceded the low
    end market to Nikon, Pentax, and Olympus, than to come out with such a
    de-featured camera.

    SMS, Feb 1, 2006
  15. Chris Long

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    Must be something wrong with my 350D as it came with mirror lock up when
    I bought it back in May :)

    Neil Ellwood, Feb 1, 2006
  16. Chris Long

    Annika1980 Guest

    I don't keep up much with that cheap consumer gear, dontcha know.
    Nah. I'm waitin for the Totally Digital 6D.

    It'll feature a 22MP full frame sensor with user-adjustable crop
    factors of 1.3x, 1.6x, & 2x. ISO range from 1 to 25000. 30fps (just
    like video). And the supplied 15-500mm f/0.2L IS kit lens is so fast
    you can take a pic of the back of the camera with it! How cool is
    that? Even gets FM!

    Annika1980, Feb 1, 2006
  17. Chris Long

    Bill Funk Guest

    It'll be heavy, because the FM will need to be shielded from the
    processor's RFI.
    Otherwise, sounds good!

    Bill Funk, Feb 1, 2006
  18. Chris Long

    Annika1980 Guest

    It'll be heavy, because the FM will need to be shielded from the
    Don't expect that mod until the Totally Digital 6D MKII.
    That one will also have satellite radio. I'm Sirius!

    Annika1980, Feb 1, 2006
  19. My head hurts just from thinking about doing the math. I guess I'll
    start thinking in terrabytes now.....

    But at least it'll be nice to have HD video output.......

    John McWilliams, Feb 1, 2006
  20. Chris Long

    Skip M Guest

    I won't upgrade again until I can get a camera that helps me with my poker
    skills...to heck with this consumer imaging stuff...

    Skip M, Feb 1, 2006