    Event ID: 1005
    Date: 09-08-2006
    Time: 06:12:23
    User: N/A
    Computer: XXXXXXXXXX
    Your computer has detected that the IP address 192.168.1.4 for the Network
    Card with network address 000C416C8647 is already in use on the network. Your
    computer will automatically attempt to obtain a different address.

    I'm not sure what causes this. It seems that the Wireless router will not
    renew the IP address for the computer. The network address is unique and only
    one computer posses this. So why "already in use" ?

    Guest, Aug 10, 2006

  2. Guest

    Lem Guest

    This sounds like you've set a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.4 for the
    wifi NIC in your computer, have left the DHCP server in the router
    turned on, and the DHCP server has already assigned that IP somewhere
    else. Check the DHCP table/log in your router to see what MAC address
    is associated with that IP. You may have an intruder or you may simply
    have to flush the router's DHCP's tables. Try power cycling the router.

    Lem, Aug 10, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    We are running WPA-PSK, MAC-filtering and password protected router access,
    so I dont think we have an intruder among us, however the thought did strike
    my mind as we had conflicting IP addresses on the old wireless router.
    Lem, I searched all over my NetGear router and could find nowhere "to flush
    the DHCP tabels" - Being danish, I'm not sure I know what power recycling
    means (turn on power and turn it off again) in regard to the router.

    Guest, Aug 11, 2006
  4. Guest

    Lem Guest

    Goddag Anders,

    By "power cycling" I did mean to turn the router off and then back on.
    But that was only a guess. I also have never seen an option that would
    specifically cause the router to release all of the IP addresses that it
    had assigned and then re-assign them. I guessed that turning the router
    power off might accomplish this. You might also try disabling the
    router's DHCP server and then re-enabling it. You also, however, should
    first look in the router's table that correlates IP addresses with MAC
    addresses. I believe Netgear calls this the "Attached Devices" menu.

    You said that you "had conflicting IP addresses on the old wireless
    router." Do you have more than one device on this network that is
    acting as a DHCP server? Do you have more than one router? Do you have
    any Windows XP machine that has "Internet Connection Sharing" turned on?
    If the answer to all of those questions is "no," I'm not sure what
    else to suggest, other than basic troubleshooting advice:
    -- disconnect all devices from the network except the PC that was
    giving the error message;
    -- reboot (and presumably, it will not show the duplicate IP address
    error); check the PC's IP address using ipconfig;
    -- add back network devices one at a time, rebooting the first PC each
    time;
    -- when the duplicate IP address error comes back, investigate the last
    device you connected.

    Lem, Aug 11, 2006
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Goddag igen Lem (means hello again Lem)

    Thanks for your reply. We have only a DELL desktop and a DELL laptop
    connected wirelessly to the Netgear WAP.

    I get the error even when only the desktop is accessing the wireless router.
    I did address NetGear support team as I feel the subject problem resides with
    the router. I did already check the DHCP settings - I did reset the TCP-IP
    stack and optimized the TCP settings on the PC.
    Perhaps I will have to hard reset the router and reconfigure it. I holds the
    most recent firmware but as NetGear is quite new to me (I used to run
    Linksys) I was a bit surprised to learn that the NetGear WAP retained all
    settings even after the firmware upgrade. When upgrading my old Linksys
    11Mbps router, no settings were retained and the router had to be configured
    from scratch again.
    Did I forget anything ?
    Thanks, Lem.

    Guest, Aug 14, 2006
  6. Guest

    Lem Guest

    I can't think of anything else. Like you, I'm more familiar with
    Linksys than Netgear.

    Good luck.

    Lem, Aug 15, 2006