    but it is grayed out. Nothing I do seems to get rid of the error. I have
    tried updating everything (BIOS, drivers, ect) and even downgrading but
    nothing gets rid of the error.

    Guest, May 7, 2007

  2. Have you tried Control Panel [Add/Remove Programs] - in the left sidebar
    there's an icon for Windows Components, there you should be able to remove
    TCP/IP, re-boot and go back and re-install it.

    You probably should be on a Root Account (Administrator)

    Tony. . .

    <XP64>; "Event ID 4191: IP Could Not Open t"

    Tony Sperling, May 7, 2007

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for the quick reply!!!
    I tried that but unfortunatly the only tcp/ip componet there is simple
    tcp/ip and that is not even selected. Microsoft stated to go into the
    properties of the NIC and uninstall tcp/ip there, but it is greyed out and
    can not be selected to uninstall. The fix applied to win2000 (and 2k server),
    but says nothing about win XP (and 64 bit). BTW: I am logged on as ADMIN.
    Thanks again.

    Guest, May 7, 2007
  4. Try opening the device manager, and removing (uninstalling) the NIC in
    question. Then power off, and power back on and let Windows re-install the
    NIC. That can sometimes resolve issues like this.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    "If it''s not broke, don''t fix it"

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 7, 2007
  5. O.K. - I managed to find that KB article and I can confirm everything you
    say, except here with me, it is not grayed out and I have no idea at the
    moment why it would be. Are you sure the adapter is functional? Is it an
    on-board chip that needs to be enabled in the BIOS? Did you install all the
    Motherboard Drivers that came with the system CD/DVD?

    Tony. . .

    <If it''s not broke>; "don''t fix it"

    Tony Sperling, May 7, 2007
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    The NIC works, I just don't get why I am getting the system error log. I
    contacted ASUS and they said "contact Microsoft", (Big help) and Microsoft
    says the following:
    Event ID 4191: IP Could Not Open the Registry Key for Adapter
    TCPIP\Parameters\Adapters\NDISWANIP
    View products that this article applies to.
    Article ID : 284955
    Last Review : March 1, 2007
    Revision : 3.2
    SYMPTOMS
    Event Viewer may record the following event in the System Log:

    Event: 4191
    Source: TCP/IP
    TCPIP\Parameters\Adapters\NDISWANIP. Interfaces on this adapter will not be
    initialized.
    Back to the top

    CAUSE
    This behavior can occur when a registry key required for the TCP/IP
    configuration is missing.
    Back to the top

    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this behavior, remove and then reinstall the TCP/IP protocol.

    To remove the TCP/IP protocol, follow these steps:

    1. On the desktop, right-click My Network Places, and then click Properties.
    2. Right-click the appropriate connection object, and then click Properties.
    3. In the list of components, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
    4. Click Uninstall.
    5. Restart the computer if you are prompted to do so.

    To reinstall the TCP/IP protocol, follow these steps:
    1. On the desktop, right-click My Network Places, and then click Properties.
    2. Right-click the appropriate connection object, and then click Properties.
    3. Click Install, click Protocol, and then click Add.
    4. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.
    5. Configure the settings in the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties
    dialog box, and then click OK.
    6. Restart the computer if you are prompted to do so.

    Back to the top

    APPLIES TO
    • Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
    • Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
    • Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
    • Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server

    Again, I have tried to delete the nic and reinstall, downgrade, upgrade
    sidegrade (just kidding), but nothing gets rid of the error. I will try other
    things while I wait for other suggestions.
    Thanks all for the ideas.

    Guest, May 7, 2007
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Ok, so let's assume that a registry key is missing.
    Is there any way that you can inspect the registry in another PC where your
    NIC (or motherboard with integrated NIC) is used an check what is missing
    there?
    Tell us more about your NIC (make, model, etc.) or motherboard.
    Carlos

    Guest, May 7, 2007
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    The board ASUS L1N64-SLI, NVIDIA nForce 680a SLI Chipset. 4 gigs of ram. Quad
    processors, (2 AMD-FX dual cores) 2 GFORCE 9700 GTX...., yada, yada, yada....
    Anyway, the NIC is NVIDIA NFORCE.

    Guest, May 8, 2007
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    And I guess you also have the latest NForce chipset drivers installed from
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_680a_winxp64_9.53.html
    Carlos

    Guest, May 8, 2007
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Yes sir. The strange thing is that under Device Manager, if I view resource
    by connection, it identifies the chipset as NVIDIA nForce 590/570/550 (for
    serial ATA controller). Not sure, but shouldn't it say "680a" somewhere?

    Guest, May 8, 2007
  11. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Well, I have an ASUS A8N-SLI mobo with NForce4 so I can't tell what you
    should be reading.
    It seems logical that it should be 680a something.
    Expand the NVidia exe installation file (with WinRAR or any other archiver)
    and look inside the inf file for sata.
    In my case it is in IDE\WinVista64\sata_ide
    The networking drivers is in the "Ethernet" folder.
    Good luck.
    Carlos

    Guest, May 8, 2007
  12. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I think my problem is XP64 bit not liking my new system. So I am going to try
    Vista 64 and see if it does better. Thanks for all the help

    Guest, May 10, 2007