    later on when the weather clears up a bit. I'm ready!

    <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/red_head.htm>

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Oct 27, 2007

  2. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Annika1980 Guest

    I never understood why they called it a Red-Bellied when the head is
    the red part.
    They are fairly common around here, especially when I put out the
    suet..
    http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/37521337

    Annika1980, Oct 29, 2007

  3. Keep putting out that suet, as it keeps them warm in the winter.
    This is THE best woodpecker shot I have ever seen.
    Superb!
    Helen

    helensilverburg, Oct 29, 2007
  4. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Allen Guest

    It is strange, but it seems that they have three or four small red
    feathers on the belly. Apparently, you need to have one in your hand to
    see these small red feathers. The name "red-headed" was already in use
    for the larger, glossy WP, which has more red on its head. The bird that
    is very similar to the red-bellied but with orange feathers is called
    "orange cockaded". The orange version has much to recommend it to fans
    of both UTs--Texas and Tennessee. Which leads me to two more things: the
    picture of "Smoky" the UTenn mascot is the image of my wife's dog.
    And--you have a great woodpecker on your web page that I don't recall
    your pointing out to us--a pileated, known as a "Lord God" in the East
    Texas forests because of its extremely loud call.
    Allen

    Allen, Oct 29, 2007
  5. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Annika1980 Guest

    I often go out in the woods and listen for the pileated Woodpeckers.
    They do make a loud screeching noise. This one, however, was taken in
    my front yard on Thanksgiving Day, 2004.
    http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/36772438

    The "Lord God Bird" is a name usually given to the very rare Ivory-
    Billed Woodpecker. These are the birds thought to be extinct that
    some people claim have been seen recently in Arkansas and No.
    Florida. Some day I'd love to go looking for it and be the first to
    get a good photo of it. (I'll probably photograph another UFO first.)

    The nickname supposedly came from folks who were surprised when the
    huge woodpecker flew by. They'd shout, "Lord God, what is that?"

    Annika1980, Oct 29, 2007
  6. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Walter Banks Guest

    Pileated woodpeckers have more than a loud call, they mean business when
    attacking a tree looking for lunch. They leave wood chips around that
    would make a lumberjack proud. Rectangular holes and 2 by 3 inch wood
    chips 3/8 of an inch thick.

    w..

    Walter Banks, Oct 29, 2007
  7. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Allen Guest

    For verification of that click on Annika's picture. Compare that
    excavation to the neat little 3 mm (approx.) holes drilled by
    sapsuckers. And, Annika, you have a hell of a front yard if you have
    pileateds in it. A great picture.
    Allen

    Allen, Oct 29, 2007
  8. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Frank ess Guest

    Looks very like a Flicker, eh?

    Frank ess, Oct 29, 2007
  9. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Annika1980 Guest

    That was the only time I've ever seen that bird in my yard.
    Luckily, I was strapped with the 400 f/5.6L at the time.
    I got some pics from that session with the chunks of wood flying out.
    Those suckers really can hollow out a tree in a hurry.

    Annika1980, Oct 29, 2007
  10. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Annika1980 Guest

    Annika1980, Oct 29, 2007
  11. Then began ' Annika1980 <>' to curse and to swear:

    Note: Vulgar posting not quoted.

    This is a family news group in which children and young adults read. It is *your* social responsibility as an adult to demonstrate proper Usenet etiquette.

    Please refrain from cursing and swearing.

    Gabriel Gowdel, Oct 30, 2007
  12. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    George Kerby Guest

    I'm going "Lord God. Look at the size of that hole!"

    Did the tree survive, LOL?!?

    George Kerby, Oct 30, 2007