    logs.

    Greetings,
    Wessel

    Wessel Troost, Oct 15, 2005

  2. Wessel Troost

    Guest Guest

    The original version of Winxp64 that was distributed by Microsoft had a life
    of 1 year.

    Guest, Oct 15, 2005

  3. If you downloaded the RTM trial version, it will run for 120 days, plus 5
    days grace period. Click Start>Run> and type in winver and press enter.
    This should tell you when your version will expire.

    Wayne Wastier, Oct 15, 2005
  4. Only the Beta versions had that life span. And they were supposed to be
    deleted after XP x64 went RTM, per the EULA.

    Wayne Wastier, Oct 15, 2005
  5. Wessel Troost

    Rick Guest

    And if you read the End Users Agreement VERY carefully you will note
    that they ALL legally expired on Monday, April 25, 2005, when the final
    version was publicly released!

    Rick, Oct 15, 2005
  6. If you downloaded the RTM trial version, it will run for 120 days, plus 5
    Yeah, I have the RTM trial. Thanks for the tip!

    My copy expires december 26th. Is there a way I can preserve my install
    beyond that?

    Greetings,
    Wessel

    Wessel Troost, Oct 17, 2005
  7. Yes. Go to http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102034
    and purchase the OEM version. Then, boot from the CD and do a repair
    install. Remember, there are 2 opportunites to use Repair when you boot. Use
    the second one, that way you won't end up at a command prompt. :eek:)

    Wayne Wastier, Oct 17, 2005
  8. Wessel Troost

    Guest Guest

    Delema.
    You can only obtain the full version of XP 64 with a 'FULL SYSTEM PURCHASE'.
    I know, you used to be able to buy it with less. But no. MS has changed
    the rules.
    I now have a full new system that I loaded the trial on. Now that my trial
    is up . . . . well, I guess I can go back to either regular XP or Linux. But
    there is no place to buy just the full version.

    And yes, I tried PlanetAMD64. i ordered and paid for the full version 5
    weeks ago. And still do not have a working copy. Just a 'I'll get that out
    tomorrow' e-mail. And I have 3 so far of those. By the end of the week,
    I'll either be happy with 64 or Linux.

    Guest, Oct 17, 2005
  9. Wessel Troost

    Rick Guest

    I don't know where you're getting your information from, but there are
    many, many vendors that are selling Windows XP Professional x64 OEM with
    "qualifying" hardware - NOT a full system, but QUALIFYING HARDWARE.

    Just do a Froogle search and you'll find quite a number.

    Rick, Oct 17, 2005
  10. Not true. Stop posting this crap.

    Wayne Wastier, Oct 18, 2005
  11. Hello,
    I checked just to make sure if the rules had changed on this and was told
    they did not change.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:01:36 -0400
    <From: Rick <>
    <Subject: Re: Evaluation copy: when does it expire?
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <DavARei wrote:
    <> Delema.
    <> You can only obtain the full version of XP 64 with a 'FULL SYSTEM
    PURCHASE'.
    <> I know, you used to be able to buy it with less. But no. MS has
    changed
    <> the rules.
    <> I now have a full new system that I loaded the trial on. Now that my
    trial
    <> is up . . . . well, I guess I can go back to either regular XP or Linux.
    But
    <> there is no place to buy just the full version.
    <>
    <> And yes, I tried PlanetAMD64. i ordered and paid for the full version 5
    <> weeks ago. And still do not have a working copy. Just a 'I'll get that
    out
    <> tomorrow' e-mail. And I have 3 so far of those. By the end of the
    week,
    <> I'll either be happy with 64 or Linux.
    <>
    <> "Wayne Wastier" wrote:
    <>
    <>
    <>>Wessel Troost wrote:
    <>>
    <>>>>If you downloaded the RTM trial version, it will run for 120 days,
    <>>>>plus 5 days grace period. Click Start>Run> and type in winver and
    <>>>>press enter. This should tell you when your version will expire.
    <>>>>
    <>>>
    <>>>Yeah, I have the RTM trial. Thanks for the tip!
    <>>>
    <>>>My copy expires december 26th. Is there a way I can preserve my
    <>>>install beyond that?
    <>>>
    <>>>Greetings,
    <>>>Wessel
    <>>
    <>>Yes. Go to
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102034
    <>>and purchase the OEM version. Then, boot from the CD and do a repair
    <>>install. Remember, there are 2 opportunites to use Repair when you boot.
    Use
    <>>the second one, that way you won't end up at a command prompt. :eek:)
    <>>
    <>>--
    <>>Wayne Wastier
    <>>Z-80 - AMD-64
    <>>HwayneW
    <>>
    <>>
    <>>
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Oct 18, 2005
  12. Darrell -- if the rules haven't changed (ie, qualifying hardware is all
    that's required), the web site describing the licensing certainly HAS
    changed. Clarity would be good. (And I have a meeting Tuesday to go over the
    deck for a new web cast, so I'd definitely like to get it right before I do
    the web cast.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 18, 2005
  13. Hello Charlie,
    Point to what you are seeing and where it changed.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <>
    <Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 22:33:15 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Darrell -- if the rules haven't changed (ie, qualifying hardware is all
    <that's required), the web site describing the licensing certainly HAS
    <changed. Clarity would be good. (And I have a meeting Tuesday to go over
    the
    <deck for a new web cast, so I'd definitely like to get it right before I
    do
    <the web cast.)
    <
    <--
    <Charlie.
    <http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    <
    <"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" wrote:
    <> Hello,
    <> I checked just to make sure if the rules had changed on this and was told
    <> they did not change.
    <> Thanks,
    <> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
    <>
    <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights
    <> --------------------
    <> <Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:01:36 -0400
    <> <From: Rick <>
    <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <
    <> <DavARei wrote:
    <> <> Delema.
    <> <> You can only obtain the full version of XP 64 with a 'FULL SYSTEM
    <> PURCHASE'.
    <> <> I know, you used to be able to buy it with less. But no. MS has
    <> changed
    <> <> the rules.
    <> <> I now have a full new system that I loaded the trial on. Now that my
    <> trial
    <> <> is up . . . . well, I guess I can go back to either regular XP or
    <> Linux. But
    <> <> there is no place to buy just the full version.
    <> <>
    <> <> And yes, I tried PlanetAMD64. i ordered and paid for the full version
    <> 5 <> weeks ago. And still do not have a working copy. Just a 'I'll get
    <> that out
    <> <> tomorrow' e-mail. And I have 3 so far of those. By the end of the
    <> week,
    <> <> I'll either be happy with 64 or Linux.
    <> <>
    <> <> "Wayne Wastier" wrote:
    <> <>
    <> <>
    <> <>>Wessel Troost wrote:
    <> <>>
    <> <>>>>If you downloaded the RTM trial version, it will run for 120 days,
    <> <>>>>plus 5 days grace period. Click Start>Run> and type in winver and
    <> <>>>>press enter. This should tell you when your version will expire.
    <> <>>>>
    <> <>>>
    <> <>>>Yeah, I have the RTM trial. Thanks for the tip!
    <> <>>>
    <> <>>>My copy expires december 26th. Is there a way I can preserve my
    <> <>>>install beyond that?
    <> <>>>
    <> <>>>Greetings,
    <> <>>>Wessel
    <> <>>
    <> <>>Yes. Go to
    <> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102034
    <> <>>and purchase the OEM version. Then, boot from the CD and do a repair
    <> <>>install. Remember, there are 2 opportunites to use Repair when you
    <> boot. Use
    <> <>>the second one, that way you won't end up at a command prompt. :eek:)
    <> <>>
    <> <>>--
    <> <>>Wayne Wastier
    <> <>>Z-80 - AMD-64
    <> <>>HwayneW
    <> <>>
    <> <>>
    <> <>>
    <> <
    <
    <
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Oct 18, 2005
  14. emailed.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 18, 2005
  15. Wessel Troost

    Guest Guest

    All:
    Basd on Wayne W. post, I checked lic agreement and ran winver. I thought I
    had a 360 day eval. period when I first downloaded x64 (late Spring?). Check
    of lic agreement did in fact show 360 days, so later downloads may have a
    reduced eval. period.
    Then running winver I got scarry result, because not remembering when I
    first installed, I'm afraid the thing will suddenly just stop...checked
    10/23/05 and winver reports the expiration date as 10/16/06!
    Anyone got an answer to this?

    Guest, Oct 24, 2005
  16. Hello
    What is the first ten lines or so of the setupapi.log?
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "=?Utf-8?B?T2ZmaWNlIDJLIElzc3Vlcw==?="
    <>
    <Subject: Re: Evaluation copy: when does it expire?-Scarry result
    <Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 07:43:57 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <All:
    <Basd on Wayne W. post, I checked lic agreement and ran winver. I thought I
    <had a 360 day eval. period when I first downloaded x64 (late Spring?).
    Check
    <of lic agreement did in fact show 360 days, so later downloads may have a
    <reduced eval. period.
    <Then running winver I got scarry result, because not remembering when I
    <first installed, I'm afraid the thing will suddenly just stop...checked
    <10/23/05 and winver reports the expiration date as 10/16/06!
    <Anyone got an answer to this?
    <
    <"Wayne Wastier" wrote:
    <
    <> Wessel Troost wrote:
    <> > Hello,
    <> >
    <> > My evaluation copy of Windows XP x64 has been running OK some months.
    <> > I wonder if there is a way to see when it expires? Properties of "my
    <> > computer" don't show expiration info and there is nothing in the event
    <> > logs.
    <> >
    <> > Greetings,
    <> > Wessel
    <>
    <> If you downloaded the RTM trial version, it will run for 120 days, plus
    5
    <> days grace period. Click Start>Run> and type in winver and press
    enter.
    <> This should tell you when your version will expire.
    <>
    <> --
    <> Wayne Wastier
    <> Z-80 - AMD-64
    <> HwayneW
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Oct 26, 2005
  17. Wessel Troost

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Oct 26, 2005
  18. Wessel Troost

    Guest Guest

    Darrell:
    Interesting that the first response if from Microsoft. I will be happy to
    send you log file as requested, but thought I would give this a shot first:
    I looked at log file, and although I don't understand most of it, I have
    realized that it is possible to extend the expiration date of the eval copy
    indefinitely. Like any security hole, Microsoft certainly has an interest in
    correecting this in future updates. The process is so simple that others will
    or have already discovered it.
    So, tit for tat, if you arrange to send me a non-eval. version, I will give
    you log file and describe process for extending expiration date, although
    that should be done aoutside a public forum. Not to worry, In my 20 yrs using
    software, I have never violated a lic. agreemnt and don't plan on starting
    now.
    Deal?

    Guest, Oct 26, 2005
  19. Hello,
    There are more triggers than one for the eval expiration. So using the log
    files, setupapi.log and event logs may allow me to figure out why the eval
    timeout has not triggered. It may also allow me to explain why the
    expiration date is set as it is.
    WinVer may not always reflect the expiration date of all the eval
    expirations. It reflects one of them, others still may be in affect.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "=?Utf-8?B?T2ZmaWNlIDJLIElzc3Vlcw==?="
    <>
    <Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 05:50:09 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
    <
    <> Hello
    <> What is the first ten lines or so of the setupapi.log?
    <> Thanks,
    <> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
    <>
    <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights
    <> --------------------
    <> <From: "=?Utf-8?B?T2ZmaWNlIDJLIElzc3Vlcw==?="
    <> <>
    <> <Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 07:43:57 -0700
    <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <reduced eval. period.
    <> <Then running winver I got scarry result, because not remembering when
    <> <first installed, I'm afraid the thing will suddenly just stop...checked
    <> <10/23/05 and winver reports the expiration date as 10/16/06!
    <> <Anyone got an answer to this?
    <> <
    <> <"Wayne Wastier" wrote:
    <> <
    <> <> Wessel Troost wrote:
    <> <> > Hello,
    <> <> >
    <> <> > My evaluation copy of Windows XP x64 has been running OK some
    months.
    <> <> > I wonder if there is a way to see when it expires? Properties of
    "my
    <> <> > computer" don't show expiration info and there is nothing in the
    event
    <> <> > logs.
    <> <> >
    <> <> > Greetings,
    <> <> > Wessel
    <> <>
    <> <> If you downloaded the RTM trial version, it will run for 120 days,
    plus
    <> 5
    <> <> days grace period. Click Start>Run> and type in winver and press
    <> enter.
    <> <> This should tell you when your version will expire.
    <> <>
    <> <> --
    <> <> Wayne Wastier
    <> <> Z-80 - AMD-64
    <> <> HwayneW
    <> <>
    <> <>
    <> <>
    <> <
    <>
    <>
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Oct 26, 2005
  20. Wessel Troost

    Guest Guest

    Oh well, nothing tried nothing gaied.
    Part of log file:
    [SetupAPI Log]
    OS Version = 5.2.3790 Service Pack 1, v.1433
    Platform ID = 2 (NT)
    Service Pack = 1.0
    Suite = 0x0100
    Product Type = 1
    Architecture = amd64
    [2005/10/21 13:39:28 320.17]
    #-199 Executing "C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe" with command line: setup
    -newsetup
    #I140 Installing device class: "1394" {6BDD1FC1-810F-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F}.
    #I141 Class install completed with no errors.
    [2005/10/21 13:39:28 320.18]
    #-199 Executing "C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe" with command line: setup
    -newsetup
    #I140 Installing device class: "61883" {7EBEFBC0-3200-11d2-B4C2-00A0C9697D07}.
    #I141 Class install completed with no errors.
    [2005/10/21 13:39:28 320.19]
    #-199 Executing "C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe" with command line: setup
    -newsetup
    #I140 Installing device class: "Avc" {C06FF265-AE09-48f0-812C-16753D7CBA83}.
    #I141 Class install completed with no errors.
    [2005/10/21 13:39:29 320.20]
    #-199 Executing "C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe" with command line: setup
    -newsetup
    #I140 Installing device class: "Battery"
    {72631e54-78a4-11d0-bcf7-00aa00b7b32a}.
    #I141 Class install completed with no errors.
    [2005/10/21 13:39:29 320.23]
    #-199 Executing "C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe" with command line: setup
    -newsetup
    #I140 Installing device class: "Bluetooth"
    {e0cbf06c-cd8b-4647-bb8a-263b43f0f974}.
    #I141 Class install completed with no errors.
    [2005/10/21 13:39:29 320.25]
    #-199 Executing "C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe" with command line: setup
    -newsetup
    #I140 Installing device class: "Biometric"
    {53D29EF7-377C-4D14-864B-EB3A85769359}.
    #I141 Class install completed with no errors.
    [2005/10/21 13:39:29 320.26]
    #-199 Executing "C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe" with command line: setup
    -newsetup
    #I140 Installing device class: "CDROM" {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    #I141 Class install completed with no errors.
    [2005/10/21 13:39:29 320.28]
    #-199 Executing "C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe" with command line: setup
    -newsetup
    #I140 Installing device class: "Processor"
    {50127DC3-0F36-415e-A6CC-4CB3BE910B65}.
    #I141 Class install completed with no errors.
    [2005/10/21 13:39:29 320.29]
    #-199 Executing "C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe" with command line: setup
    -newsetup
    #I140 Installing device class: "Enum1394"
    {C459DF55-DB08-11d1-B009-00A0C9081FF6}.
    #I141 Class install completed with no errors.
    [2005/10/21 13:39:29 320.30]
    #-199 Executing "C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe" with command line: setup
    -newsetup
    #I140 Installing device class: "MTD" {4D36E970-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    #I141 Class install completed with no errors.
    [2005/10/21 13:39:29 320.31]
    #-199 Executing "C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe" with command line: setup
    -newsetup
    #I140 Installing device class: "DiskDrive"
    {4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    #I141 Class install completed with no errors.
    [2005/10/21 13:39:29 320.33]
    #-199 Executing "C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe" with command line: setup
    -newsetup
    #I140 Installing device class: "Display"
    {4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    #I141 Class install completed with no errors.
    [2005/10/21 13:39:29 320.34]
    #-199 Executing "C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe" with command line: setup
    -newsetup
    #I140 Installing device class: "Dot4" {48721b56-6795-11d2-b1a8-0080c72e74a2}.
    #I141 Class install completed with no errors.
    [2005/10/21 13:39:29 320.35]
    #-199 Executing "C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe" with command line: setup
    -newsetup
    #I140 Installing device class: "Dot4Print"
    {49ce6ac8-6f86-11d2-b1e5-0080c72e74a2}.

    Guest, Oct 26, 2005