    How would I overcome that problem?

    Thanks.

    Steve

    SteveH, May 27, 2008

  2. SteveH

    AJR Guest

    SteveH - Evidently you are attempting to install the trail XP Pro from
    within the Windows Home installatiion. Your current XP Home installation
    includes the Service Pack which "upgrades" it to a "newer" install over XP
    Pro without the service pack.

    There are several options. Personally , your XP home is sufficient.

    AJR, May 27, 2008

  3. SteveH

    PAJ Guest

    Yeah, or you could always upgrade to Windows 98.

    PAJ, May 27, 2008
  4. SteveH

    John R Guest

    When you run the CD from within a windows environment, it wants to "upgrade"
    your current windows installation. If you want to install the trial version
    to run separately, and leave your existing installation alone, boot the CD
    and install it to a partition other than where your current windows is
    installed.

    Note: I make no claims that you will not accidentally pick the partition
    where your current windows is installed and wipe out your current version of
    windows. Should you do so, you agree up front that by reading this message,
    you absolve me of all claims of liability, both current and future, and that
    your only remedy from me will be for me to further clarify how to do it
    properly once I calm down from my laughing.

    John R

    John R, May 27, 2008
  5. Ironically, the first two chapters of those exam training books teach
    =exactly= how to address this situation!!!

    Follow the exercises Steve... don't work ahead. :)

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP, MCBMSP, MCTS(x4), MCP

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin, May 28, 2008
  6. SteveH

    SteveH Guest

    Hello

    Thank you for your replies.

    I have tried to partition the hard drive so as to be able to install the
    evaluation disk in one portion, leaving my Home edition well alone.

    This is what I tried:

    DISKPART> list disk

    Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    -------- ---------- ------- ------- --- ---
    Disk 0 Online 114 GB 0 B

    DISKPART> select disk c

    The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.

    DISKPART> select disk 0

    Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

    DISKPART> create partition extended [5000]

    The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.

    DISKPART> create partition extended 5000

    The arguments you specified for this command are not valid.

    DISKPART>

    As you can see I am trying to allocate 5GB for the Win XP Prof evaluation
    disk; I tried the drive letter C at first, but MS-DOS seems to call my drive
    0 (!!??). So I decided to type that in instead. To no avail, as you can see.

    Steve

    SteveH, May 29, 2008
  7. SteveH

    John R Guest

    It looks to me as if your disk 0 has 114GB, all of which is allocated to
    your current C: drive. I don't know if DISKPART can deal with that or not
    as I am unfamiliar with that tool. However, there is no space available to
    create an extended partition. There are other utilities out there which can
    resize an existing partition, or you can backup your C: drive using ghost or
    something like that to some other device, delete and recreate your C: drive
    partition (only smaller), and then restore it. However, it would probably
    be easier to just go pick up a small hard drive and install it in your
    computer, and then load your eval on that drive.

    John R

    John R, May 29, 2008
  8. SteveH

    SteveH Guest

    Yes, I think you're right, John. I'll pick up a small hard drive of 20 or so
    GB and install the disk on that.

    Many thanks for your time.

    Steve

    SteveH, May 29, 2008
  9. SteveH

    John R Guest

    I found a pretty good article on using DISKPART (sorry, I didn't realize at
    the time that this was the native tool). At any rate, it looks like
    shrinking is supported, but I would still make sure I had a real good backup
    of my drive before I did that. (I think I'd still do an add-on drive, it's
    so much more simplistic). At any rate, here is the link...

    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...lternative-in-windows-vista-2000-2003-and-xp/

    John R

    John R, May 29, 2008
  10. SteveH

    John R Guest

    Hmmm, the 'shrink querymax' command doesn't seem to work anyway, maybe that
    is a vista enhancement.

    John R

    John R, May 29, 2008
  11. SteveH

    SteveH Guest

    Hello John

    Many thanks for your replies and the link.

    I think 'shrink' does relate mainly to Vista, but in my original command
    line I didn't have this:

    create partition

    I had 'create partition extended'

    so I have downloaded the page you sent and will post back.

    Thanks again

    Steve

    SteveH, May 30, 2008