Ethertype 0x9000 (Loopback/Enet Config Test frames) on Cisco Switch (2950)

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Guest, Sep 13, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi all

    I want to make a switch completly silent on some port, that is: the
    Cisco 2950 switch doesn't have to send any packet generated by itself,
    or in other words, it only has to send to that port only traffic
    switched from other ports on the switch.

    I'm running IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(19)EA1c,
    RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

    disabling vtp and stp on that port made it almost silent but still
    there are some frames generated from the switch with Ethertype 0x9000.

    This frames are Loopback frames (also called "Enet Config Test" in some
    Cisco documentation) and I think the purpose of this frames is just test if
    the link it's ok.

    Is there some way to avoid the generation of this frames?

    If not, is there a workaround for this?

    Any comment would be greatly appreciated

    Thanks in advance

    Ulisses
    Debian GNU/Linux: a dream come true
    "Computers are useless. They can only give answers." Pablo Picasso

    Guest, Sep 13, 2004

  2. Guest

    Ben Guest

    I didn't bother checking but they might be ethernet keepalives. Try 'no
    keepalive' under the interface. Also turn off any duplex/speed negotiation
    by hardsetting

    Ben, Sep 13, 2004