ethernet signal through home wiring

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jim Beaver, Nov 12, 2007.

  1. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    I bought a Slingbox, a nifty device to allow me to access my home cable box
    or TiVo from any computer anywhere I have internet capability. Basically,
    it runs the signal from the home cable box or TiVo through the Slingbox then
    out to my router (and vice-versa).

    For people whose home routers are in a different section of the home (say,
    in a home office) from the TiVo or cable box, they have something called
    SlingLink Turbo, which basically takes the signal out of the Slingbox and
    runs it through the home electrical wiring to the router, allowing for a
    fairly distant connection between router and Slingbox.

    However, as it turns out, in my home, the home office and router are on
    different circuits than the TiVo/cable box/Slingbox, which are in my
    bedroom.

    Slingbox technical support says the SlingLink Turbo household-wiring
    connection won't work in such circumstances. The two ends must be on the
    same electrical wiring circuit. (Duh.)

    But --- tech support suggested there were other ways of connecting the
    Slingbox to the router, perhaps wirelessly. These methods are outside the
    purview of their company and are unsupported. But they did suggest that
    other means might be possible. They just didn't suggest EXACTLY what those
    means were.

    Obviously, a fifty or sixty foot ethernet cable from the Slingbox winding
    its way through the hallways of my home to my office router would
    potentially eliminate the problem (while creating the problem of having a
    cable snaking through the house). But is there another reasonable
    suggestion, one that might provide a good but less impractical link?

    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, Nov 12, 2007

  2. Jim Beaver

    Shel-hed Guest

    Wild guess-
    See if the two circuits are on the same "leg". If they aren't, swap one so they
    are and see if it works.
    If you don't know what I'm talking about, call your electrician buddy.

    Shel-hed, Nov 12, 2007

  3. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    I don't. I'm off to see if I can find an electrician buddy. I wonder if
    there's an electricians' bar somewhere around here.

    Jim Beaver, Nov 13, 2007
  4. Jim Beaver

    olfart Guest

    That works...I did it to solve the same problem. I f you look in your
    breaker box and can find the 2 circuits you want to use put them on the same
    leg of your 220v line. In most all breaker boxes every other breaker going
    down on each side is on the same leg. So you can swap citcuit wires to get
    this result. Just make sure that the circuits you swap have the same
    amperage breaker (usually 20 amp in newer homes).
    BTW you should have gotten A HAVA instead of Slingbox since Slingbox no
    longer lets you burn DVD's of copyright programs (DRM). HAVA still lets you
    do this.

    olfart, Nov 13, 2007
  5. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    Would something like this work? Corinex PowerPhase Coupler - Model D3

    3 Pin Dryer Coupler - When the outlets in just one room or section of your
    house have a noticeably weak Powerline network connection, it may mean that
    those rooms are on a different circuit. The Corinex PowerPhase Coupler joins
    together the Powerline network frequencies from separate circuits. Simply
    plug in the coupler to extend your Powerline signal to the adjoining
    circuits.

    Jim Beaver, Nov 13, 2007
  6. Jim Beaver

    chuckcar Guest

    I take it your router *doesn't* do wireless? Security becomes an issue
    then of course due to "war drivers".

    chuckcar, Nov 13, 2007
  7. Come off the Ethernet cable NIC (where the cable would be plugged in) with
    a wireless bridge. The bridge will pick up your router's wireless output,
    make sure you get the correct one (these days usually a "g") and to be
    extra safe, buy from the router mfg their bridge (Linksys, etc).

    Help! I Need SomeBooty!, Nov 13, 2007
  8. Jim Beaver

    Shel-hed Guest

    Maybe. First you have to determine whether you have a three pin dryer outlet or
    a 4 pin. Then if you live in an apartment, you have to make sure you have
    single phase power, not three phase. Apparently this type of thing doesn't work
    well with 3 phase.
    What make and model is your breaker panel?

    Shel-hed, Nov 13, 2007
  9. Jim Beaver

    Tony Guest

    Get to the point... your posted question is too long!

    Tony, Nov 14, 2007
  10. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    Which part of the information necessary to answer the question would you
    have me leave out, oh mighty top-poster?

    Thanks for the helpful advice.

    Jim Beaver, Nov 14, 2007
  11. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    Thanks for the help thus far from those of you who've been helpful. ;-)

    It turns out that Slingbox does indeed work in conjunction with a wireless
    bridge. Their website even lists bridges which do and do not work well with
    the product. Unfortunately, almost every one of the bridges they list as
    working well with Slingbox is "currently unavailable" through the online
    outlets I've checked. One which is still available is so poorly rated by
    consumers that I'm hesitant to try it out. Any suggestions for alternative
    sources? Here's Slingbox's list:

    The following wireless bridges have been tested and work well with the
    Slingbox:
    a.. NETGEAR WGE111
    b.. Linksys WET54G
    c.. Linksys WET54GS5
    d.. Linksys WGA54G
    e.. SMC 2870W
    f.. US Robotics 5430
    These wireless bridges do not work reliably with the Slingbox:

    a.. D-Link DWL-810
    b.. D-Link DWL-810+
    c.. D-Link DWL-G820
    d.. D-Link DGL-3420
    e.. Linksys WET11
    f.. Microsoft Xbox MN-740
    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, Nov 14, 2007
  12. Jim Beaver

    Shel-hed Guest

    Go to your local craigslist.
    Post in tools
    "OT- need electrician for 5 minute job"
    "I need an electrician to swap two circuits so that my home wiring network
    works.
    <link to your network system components>
    I'm told the receiving network component needs to be on the same phase as the
    sending component. Paying $50 cash up front. Just show your qualifications.
    Located near X Street and Y Ave."

    Done. No screwing around with lame adapters.

    Have the two circuits identified beforehand. Have your panel circuits
    appropriately labeled. A separate sheet stapled to the wall is OK.

    Shel-hed, Nov 15, 2007