    Is there any way to prevent this interference, and could it be
    causing damage (power spikes, etc.) to my speakers or
    indeed to any other electrical device in the house?

    Old Wolf, Jan 30, 2007

  2. Old Wolf

    PeeCee Guest

    Sounds like ground loop problems.

    Some would suggest the highly dangerous practice of unearthing various parts
    of the system till you find the source.

    My suggestion is to throw those EOP gadgets in the rubbish bin and run a
    proper Ethernet cable.
    No dangerous unearthed equipment.
    No earth loops to worry about.
    Better isolation from power line noise.
    Faster LAN speeds.
    etc.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 31, 2007

  3. Old Wolf

    Richard Guest

    Would appear that your speakers are somewhat inferior in the area of
    powerline filtering. The level of signals that the ethernet over power
    devices put on the line are tiny compared with the noise you get from
    turning on/off a motor or similar. Do those make your speakers click/pop
    etc? If so, then your speakers are (to quote a favorate newsgroup idiot)
    "CRAP". Try running them off an EMI filtering powerstrip, but that may
    end up costing more then you paid for the speakers.

    not likly to be a ground loop or anything like that, since you would
    already have some humm going in if that was the problem, and I am yet to
    see a PC speaker set that has an earth anyway.

    Richard, Jan 31, 2007
  4. Seconded.

    Mark Robinson, Jan 31, 2007
  5. Old Wolf

    jasen Guest

    I've seen three sets.

    the USB powered ones om my mum's new dell, and the ones on an old IBM aptiva
    that plugged into the PC for their amplifier power.
    The IBM ones would respond to nearby (27MHz) CB radios.

    The third set is one that fits a 5.25" drive bay an is powered from the drive
    power connector - lo-fi, but saves space. since the wiring is mostly internal
    these ones aren't much effected by ground loops.

    dunno if those monitors with built in speakers use an isolated supply for
    the amp.

    If disconnecting the speakers from the computer stops the noise it's
    probably an earth loop.

    That Dell has no parallel ATA interface, I'll have to go out there with
    an crossosver ethernet cable to shift her files.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Jan 31, 2007
  6. Old Wolf