    Can you switch them off when not in use and know they're going to work
    when turned back on?

    url:http://myreader.co.uk/gp/1021-1.aspx

    Andy Castledine, Dec 2, 2007

  2. Andy Castledine

    Mortimer Guest

    Yes to all those.

    I've installed Solwise 14 Mbps homeplug devices in an old house which had
    walls that were too think for wireless to send the signal from the router to
    one of the PCs. The house had very old wiring, with three separate fuse
    boxes, though presumably all on the same side of the meter, as it is the
    meter which blocks the Ethernet signal from escaping from the house.

    These worked at about 7 Mbps, which was plenty fast enough for the customer
    who only wanted it for accessing broadband, not for PC-PC comms. Ironically
    since then he's realised why I recommended the faster (85?) devices that he
    decided not to get, when I saw the benefits of PC-PC file and printer
    sharing.

    The setup worked perfectly well for a couple of years until recently when
    something changed and the homeplug started working only in some sockets -
    and not the ones in the room where it was needed. This was solved by moving
    the router to a socket closer to the PC (luckily there was another phone
    socket there) and getting an additional homeplug to supply the signal to a
    second PC which had previously been within wireless range.

    Maybe the best combination is homeplug to cover the larger distances to
    outlying rooms and then a wireless access point to distribute the network
    locally to allow a laptop to be used anywhere within several of those
    outlying rooms.

    Mortimer, Dec 2, 2007

  3. Andy Castledine

    [L.] Guest

    Do you have any thoughts about surge protection?

    IOW, what happens in case of spikes and general rubbish on the power
    line?

    Lnz

    [L.]

    [L.], Dec 2, 2007
  4. Andy Castledine

    Mortimer Guest

    When I tested the devices in my house before installing them for the
    customer, I had two devices each plugged into a surge protector - these were
    at opposite ends of the house. The devices worked perfectly well and the
    speed was identical to that without surge protectors.

    So use surge protection if possible - it seems to cause no problem.

    Mortimer, Dec 2, 2007
  5. Andy Castledine

    Chris Whelan Guest

    Homeplug devices should not be plugged in to a surge protected socket; speed
    will be reduced.

    The internal circuitry of the device provides isolation from the mains.
    I've used these in several houses without any difficulty being experienced.
    One of the users has had 100% reliable connection for something like 18
    months now.

    Chris

    Chris Whelan, Dec 2, 2007
  6. snip
    I've read this a few times and it just isn't true.

    My next door neighbour is on the same phase as me and when I tried
    connecting to my router from their ring main it worked fine.

    Victor Meldrew, Dec 2, 2007
  7. Andy Castledine

    Chris Whelan Guest

    That's interesting because I tried exactly the same thing, and got no
    connection whatsoever!

    Chris

    Chris Whelan, Dec 2, 2007
  8. Are you sure they are using the same phase as you?

    I tried the other next door neighbour on a different phase and no
    connection at all.

    Victor Meldrew, Dec 2, 2007
  9. Could you confirm that my understanding is correct.

    That I can connect 1 "PL-85PE" to an ethernet port on my broadband router
    then using 3 more "PL-85PE" with a computer connected to each they will
    share the same connection into the broadband router.

    thanks
    Andy

    url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/10214082.aspx

    Andy Castledine, Dec 2, 2007
  10. Andy Castledine

    Mortimer Guest

    Yes. Although the devices have the ability to set an encryption password
    (use the same one for all devices), by default this is turned off so the
    devices will talk to each other.

    Mortimer, Dec 2, 2007
  11. Andy Castledine

    Chris Whelan Guest

    Yes, definitely. 0v between the lives.

    Chris

    Chris Whelan, Dec 2, 2007
  12. Andy Castledine

    w_tom Guest

    The same problems are also experience by users of X-10 remote
    control devices. Visit the alt.home.automation newsgroup where they
    often recommend a breaker box surge protector from Leviton and no
    surge protectors at the outlets. In your case, the same product would
    probably come from Furse among others. Locating the protector close
    to earth ground and farther from the ethernet device means ethernet
    communication is minimally impeded AND protection is far superior;
    advantage twice over.

    w_tom, Dec 4, 2007