    Also, I am refering to a L2 etherchannel between two switches.

    Thanks,
    Amy.

    amyl, Aug 22, 2005

  2. amyl

    Dan Daniels Guest

    From: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/4.html

    EtherChannel balances the traffic load across the links in a channel through
    the reduction of part of the binary pattern that the addresses in the frame
    form to a numerical value that selects one of the links in the channel.
    EtherChannel load balancing can use MAC addresses or IP addresses, source or
    destination addresses, or both source and destination addresses. The mode
    applies to all EtherChannels configured on the switch. You configure the
    load balancing and forwarding method with use of the port-channel
    load-balance {dst-ip | dst-mac | src-dst-ip | src-dst-mac | src-ip |
    src-mac} global configuration command.

    Dan Daniels, Aug 22, 2005

  3. On 22.08.2005 14:41 wrote
    With frame/packet load balancing you may run into the problem of
    re-ordering. Someting layer2 does not cope with.

    Arnold

    Arnold Nipper, Aug 22, 2005
  4. amyl

    amyl Guest

    Dan,

    Thank you for your reply, but I was asking why per packet load
    balancing would not work not what the available options were.

    Thanks
    Amy

    amyl, Aug 22, 2005
  5. amyl

    amyl Guest

    Arnold,

    Thank you - can you cite any examples. I am looking for something
    concrete I can wrap my mind around.

    Thanks
    Amy

    amyl, Aug 22, 2005