    searches for "file" or "my" or "myfile" but not "stuff". Does anybody
    have any experience? Thanks.

    Yong Huang

    yong321, Dec 26, 2006

  2. yong321

    yong321 Guest

    I just did a little more search. Looks like it's confirmed. ESP doesn't
    search file content.

    What I want is a desktop search program that meets these requirements:

    1. Search file content
    2. Does not make network connection, not even to localhost
    3. Can index PDF files, preferably without installing Adobe ifilter
    4. Can (4.1) specify directories and (4.2) file types to index and
    absolutely exclude all others
    5. Freeware, or inexpensive shareware
    (Performance is not a concern.)

    Google Desktop Search fails 2 (and possibly 4). ESP fails 1. Windows
    indexing service fails 3 and 4.2. Haven't tried Windows Desktop Search.
    It may work.

    Yong Huang

    yong321, Dec 26, 2006

  3. yong321

    Pennywise Guest

    Might not meet #3 but Agent Ransack is worth a try.
    I use it over the windows search tool.
    http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

    Pennywise, Dec 26, 2006