Errors on https (secure sites) pages

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Schnirch, Feb 15, 2006.

  1. Schnirch

    Schnirch Guest

    Hello everyone,
    I am having a weird and unsettling thing happen at certain times on secure
    web sites. It is usually during the process of buying something on line, but
    not always.

    Usually a first page will come up asking for my name, mailing address,etc.
    Sometimes it has fields in which to add my credit card info, and sometimes
    not. When I am done filling out necessary info, and then click on the 'next'
    button, and box pops up asking for more information saying my CC info wasn't
    correct, or not enough info. It asks me for the last 4 digits of my SS, my
    mothers maiden name, etc. Sometimes when I click the back button, the
    purchase will go through, but most times not. I have checked everything I
    have entered and I know I can't be making that many mistakes with my name
    and address, etc.
    What really worries me is that I get this box even when I am NOT trying to
    buy anything - just trying to navigate through a web page!
    I have scanned for spyware, malware, grayware, virus, etc. I have WinXP.
    It is a pain in the butt most of the time as I have to keep re-entering info
    till the page goes through.

    What I am wondering, is this a Java / ActiveX type setting (or something
    along that line) that needs to be changed on my computer?
    Does anyone else have this problem?
    Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem. I tried to get info from
    Google search, but I may not be wording this problem the right way to get
    good results so I am hoping one of you might be able to offer some advice.

    Thanks for any help you can send my way,
    JS
    schnirchj****@gmail.com

    (remove asterisks)

    Schnirch, Feb 15, 2006

  2. Schnirch

    Noel Paton Guest

    You may already have a virus/spyware hijack

    download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
    viruses are not present on your PC
    http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp

    - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.

    Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
    CoolWebSearch hijacker.

    download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
    update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
    your system.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Feb 17, 2006

  3. Schnirch

    Schnirch Guest

    Thank you Noel. I appreciate your advice and will get started on this right
    away!
    JS

    Schnirch, Feb 17, 2006