    contains you filters, could not be read.
    A new msgFilterRules.dat file will be creted and a backup of the old
    file, called rules backup.dat will be created in the same directory.

    Grandpa Chuck, Apr 8, 2007

  2. Grandpa Chuck

    meerkat Guest

    You had set up some message rules in your browser.
    The file that stored those rules became corrupt (could not
    be read).
    So that .dat file was `backed up`, and a new empty .dat
    file was created.
    That means that, at the moment you have no filter rules.
    So you`ll have to create new rules.

    meerkat, Apr 8, 2007

  3. Grandpa Chuck

    Mike Easter Guest

    <par order rearranged>

    That file is a Tbird file with your message rules. Apparently it is
    corrupt/b0rken.
    Likely you are going to have to re-create your message rules to get an
    intact .dat file. One place advises changing the filename to
    backup.dat.

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Filters_(Thunderbird) The file that stores
    your filter settings in called "msgFilterRules.dat". Each account will
    have its own "msgFilterRules.dat" file, stored in the account subfolder
    in the "Mail" or "ImapMail" folder in your profile folder. (In the case
    of filters for Local Folders, "msgFilterRules.dat" will be found inside
    the "Local Folders" folder itself.)

    .... then follows some strategies for using one account's .dat file for
    another account.

    Mike Easter, Apr 8, 2007
  4. The error message is just about as clear as one can be. It tells
    you want is happening and where. It tells you want the filenames,
    new and old, are. But if this is happening every time you run
    Thunderbird, I haven't been able to find anything in why that
    would be happening consistently; i.e., why the new
    msgFilterRules.dat that it made last time would be corrupt the
    next time you ran the program. So I'd suggest that your next step
    might be checking in at mozilla.support.thunderbird at their
    server news.mozilla.org.

    (Info at http://www.mozilla.org/support/#newsgroups)

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 8, 2007
  5. Thank you meerkat, Mike Easter and Blinky.
    I have printed out all of your suggestions and they should take me
    down the right path. I couldn't figure out why the same thing has not
    happened in the other newsgroups I subscribe to using Thunderbird.

    I know I will always get helpful suggestions here when I pose my
    question in an understandable way.

    Grandpa Chuck, Apr 8, 2007