    Any help as to how this happened and how to fix it. I'm running win98se with
    466mhz close to 180 on ram.

    TIA for any help.

    yeshess, Jul 28, 2003

  2. yeshess

    °Mike° Guest

    Check the cables are connected correctly, and are not loose.
    Change the cables, if possible. If still no good, change
    the drive; it may be faulty.

    °Mike°, Jul 28, 2003

  3. Hello,
    Classic symptom of a floppy disk gone to disk heaven or where ever. It died.
    Replace the disk drive.
    If the drive lite stays on, shut down and reverse the cable and then
    restart.
    DennisC

    Dennis C. Cooney, Jul 28, 2003
  4. yeshess

    yeshess Guest

    How easy is it to change my HD. I have a 6gig and a 14gig in there now. MyHD is
    the 6gig. I do have a 60gig I would like to put in. It's completely empty.
    What's the easiest way to transfer all that stuff over and put my OS on there
    as well.

    Thanks for the info btw.

    ---snip---

    yeshess, Jul 29, 2003
  5. yeshess

    yeshess Guest

    Hello,
    Classic symptom of a floppy disk gone to disk heaven or where ever. It died.
    Replace the disk drive.
    If the drive lite stays on, shut down and reverse the cable and then
    restart.
    DennisC

    How can this be. I can still use both my drives now.

    yeshess, Jul 29, 2003
  6. Hello Again,
    Ooooops. Maybe I misunderstood you. The error you mentioned concerned the
    floppy drive. It has nothing
    to do with installed hard drives. So, if you can use both hard drives that
    would be a true statement.

    If you press Del to enter setup you will most likely see an installed and
    recognized floppy in the BIOS.
    This just means the BIOS has recognized you have a floppy drive installed,
    not that is working, just installed.
    If you press F1 to continue, the system will boot, however the floppy may or
    may not be listed in My Computer
    when you get into Windows. If it is listed it most likely will not read a
    floppy disk.

    Usually it is not listed. This is a classic example that the floppy, cable
    or the floppy controller is bad. More often
    than not it is the floppy. You can purchase a new one for about $10-15.00
    depending on where you shop.

    I mentioned the floppy light staying on simply because sometimes people
    forget how the cable is attached when
    they replace the drive. The light staying on means the cable is reversed.
    Simply shut down the system and
    rotate the cable 90 degrees and restart the computer. If you have the BIOS
    set to search for the floppy on
    boot, the lite will come on briefly and you will hear a "beep". The sound
    indicates you have a good POST.
    Pre Operation Self Test.
    DennisC

    Dennis C. Cooney, Jul 29, 2003
  7. yeshess

    °Mike° Guest

    Your current drive is quite small; be sure that your motherboard/BIOS
    supports the larger sized drive. Set the jumpers to slave and attach
    it to the middle connector of your master drive's ribbon cable. Be
    sure that the red stripe is nearest to the power connector. Enter
    the BIOS and set it to autodetect. Your drive needs fdisk'ing and
    formatting.

    How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or
    Repartition a Hard Disk
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;255867

    You would probably be better off leaving your OS on the smaller drive,
    use the larger one for data storage, and for installing games etc.

    °Mike°, Jul 29, 2003
  8. yeshess

    yeshess Guest

    THANK YOU ALL. I know it's impolite to type in caps but I just had to. I will
    get me a new floppy tomorrow. What I would like to do is install the new 60gig
    keep the 14gig and get rid of the 6gig. But the 6gig was my first and has the
    OS on it. What do I do???

    yeshess, Jul 30, 2003