    Trying to find media on drive A:......

    Insert systen disk and press any key.

    Please help...william

    Big D, Oct 7, 2004

  2. Did you try clearing the CMOS?

    Patrick Michael, Oct 8, 2004

  3. I realize that, but it's not going to hurt anything to try and clear the
    CMOS. If the ROM chip itself is hosed, then he his motherboard might be
    completely screwed. It depends on the BIOS/motherboard manufacturer, but
    error messages are not always so conclusive. Before attempting anything
    like a recovery of the BIOS ROM (re-flashing it or whatever), it's not a bad
    idea to start off by trying something simple.

    Patrick Michael, Oct 8, 2004
  4. Big D

    Kenny Guest

    First thing is change the battery. Some of your previous BIOS settings will
    be lost so reset to defaults then change to suit yourself.

    Kenny, Oct 8, 2004
  5. Big D

    Big D Guest

    Yes I tried to clear the BIOS and I replaced the battery with a new one.
    Still the same results. Is the BIOS chip screwed?

    Big D, Oct 8, 2004
  6. This would be a good situation to have one of those Gigabyte boards
    with the dual BIOS...unless the second one is corrupted also.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 8, 2004
  7. CMOS and BIOS are intricately related.. There are not any systems I'm aware
    for which care tires are tired into the BIOS. :)
    Either way, it's something that would take about 2 seconds to test. In
    1/1,000th of the time we've spent arguing over this completely pointless
    bullshit, the person could have tried it, determined whether it made any
    difference, and moved on to the next step if it didn't solve anything.

    It's never ceased to amaze me the poor spelling and grammar that can be
    found in many CMOS setup screens. It's not unreasonable to think that some
    underpaid Phoenix/Award programmer in Korea confused CMOS and BIOS when they
    wrote the error code for this particular issue, especially considering the
    fact that so many people confuse and wrongly use the terms interchangeably
    today anyway. A CMOS Checksum error is fairly common, especially if the
    battery is dead or the settings are wrong. OTOH, a BIOS ROM error would be
    much less common and require much more drastic action.

    If this was something that required the same overhead in time that is
    associated with checking the air in one's tires, then I could see your
    point. However, that's not the case. It would literally take a matter of
    seconds to clear the CMOS or check the batteries. For something that quick
    and painless, I'd almost certainly test that possibility before moving onto
    the much more complicated scenario of troubleshooting a ROM chip that is
    soldered onto the motherboard.

    Patrick Michael, Oct 10, 2004
  8. Big D

    jjw Guest

    agreed.

    jjw

    jjw, Oct 11, 2004
  9. Big D

    Jim Nugent Guest

    The code in the BIOS ROM itself (not the CMOS, powered by the battery) is
    corrupt. Your BIOS appears to have "boot block" which is not normally
    flashable that is OK. That code is trying to "recover" the BIOS by asking
    for the disk. What it wants is a "Bios recovery disk" which means different
    things for different motherboards. I think it is generally the same thing as
    a boot floppy intended to flash the bios. If you can get / make one of
    those, try inserting that before powering up. Beyond that check with your
    computer/motherboard/BIOS manufacturer.

    Jim Nugent, Oct 23, 2004