    it's mostly when I'm surfing the internet.

    Is this typical of wireless mice?

    Any ideas what could cause it?

    Guest, Jun 15, 2011

  2. Guest

    Squiggle Guest

    Could it be the surface you are using it on?

    Squiggle, Jun 15, 2011

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I don't see how. It's a custom wood desk with a kind of wood grain
    looking finish. It's supposed to track on anything except glass. I
    think it would track badly more consistently if it was the surface.

    Also, just after I wrote the first post the mouse went wonky and I
    wasn't web browsing.

    Guest, Jun 15, 2011
  4. There are some possibilities that I haven't seen mentioned so far.
    Some wireless mice I've owned in the past specified a _minimum_ distance
    between mouse and receiver. Some receivers don't like to sit close to
    other electrical devices, e.g. crt monitor, amplifier ... not sure about flat
    screens. Did you check the batteries? I found that the rechargable li-ion
    batteries in a logitech mouse gave up the ghost way way too soon and just
    wouldn't take a charge any more. (I'm back to corded everything, thanks).

    My wife's cordless keyboard recently started going wonky on a split-level
    desk, came right for a few days with new batteries, then started to fail again
    (after working well for a year or so initially).

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 15, 2011
  5. Guest

    Me Guest

    I've got a logitech cordless mouse and keyboard here. The
    hardware/wireless part of it works well most of the time, but the driver
    software sucks. If the mouse or keyboard plays up - even
    intermittently, then the tab for mouse or keyboard settings disappears
    from the driver settings panel. Hasn't happened often, but very
    annoying when it does.

    Me, Jun 16, 2011
  6. Guest

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I'm with EMB and wireless issues on this. After all, it's an RF mouse that
    uses the most cluttered band there is. It could be a cordless phone (yours
    or any neighbours within ~500m+) that checks into it's base station every
    few minutes (most likely) or a whole host of things.

    Like Peter, I've gone back to corded everything*.

    *(Except for the mouse that's used with the dedicated music laptop that's
    always connected to the stereo. It's not used often, just to start Winamp
    [with Stereotool. :)] on random, rarely pick a particular song / album, and
    then shut down the machine. Therefore it's not a big deal if it's not
    accurate or gets the jitters now and then.)
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

    ~misfit~, Jun 16, 2011
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    It seems to be fine on my work machine so I think I'll take it back
    and change it for a corded mouse. Thanks.

    Guest, Jun 16, 2011
  8. Guest

    John Little Guest

    The corded mouse I am using as I type (almost) occasionally has fits
    where the pointer zips about erratically. I've experienced this with
    other mice, too. I suspect your mouse is faulty, and that radio
    interference is not directly the problem.

    [/QUOTE]

    Nospam replied:
    I've worked at a desk with a shiny wood grain finish that confused
    optical mice. The finish had grooves you could feel with your
    fingernails. If mouse movement in line with the grain behaves
    differently to movement at right angles to that, I'd suspect this. A
    colleague at a similar desk taped an A4 sheet of paper on the desk to
    overcome this.

    I have a white, shiny, desk in the house upon which no optical mouse
    has ever worked at all, and we've tried a few. It's exactly like the
    mouse isn't plugged in or is not on.

    One could conjecture there wouldn't be the development of laser,
    glass laser, or "dark field" mice if there wasn't the need, but I am
    cynical about that.

    Regards, John

    John Little, Jun 16, 2011
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I've been using a Microsoft "blue" corded optical mouse for years on
    this desk with no problems.
    Looks like I have the same problem as these people
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-bought/3ef70d64-6624-4995-8e6d-939c1c6b72bc
    I'm using Win 7 pro 64 bit - I don't know if that's connected.
    I don't want to move my router. I'll have to see what DSE suggest.

    Guest, Jun 17, 2011
  10. Guest

    whatsupnow

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2014
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    My new MS wireless mouse got the jitters and it is most distracting. It may have been caused by the proximity of a usb cable lying across the bench near the mouse and keyboard. I had been using that connection to my cellphone. The keyboard/mouse tx/rx is on the computer rear.
    As soon as I removed the unused usb cable the jitter stopped.

    whatsupnow, Jan 2, 2014